Is the new Canon full frame mirrorless called the EOS R?

Jan 12, 2011
Perhaps you should learn to write clear and concise English?

Or they had done as much R&D as they could and still not solved the problems.

Here's the concise version for the reading challenged:

Canon, the world's most renowned and profitable camera company cannot solve sensor heating dissipation problems with full frame 4K in its latest cameras due to sensor technology limitations while technologically more advanced competitors Sony and Nikon seem to have success in this area.

That read right to you?

;)

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Here's the concise version for the reading challenged:

Canon, the world's most renowned and profitable camera company cannot solve sensor heating dissipation problems with full frame 4K in its latest cameras due to sensor technology limitations while technologically more advanced competitors Sony and Nikon seem to have success in this area.

That read right to you?

;)
Except Sony reportedly has not 'solved' it - but they have reduced its incidence.
We have no idea about Nikon - how do you know when it has not been tested yet?

That read right to you?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Nope. I believe you're thinking of the new Nikon mirrorless but they already solved this issue with the D850:

https://www.videomaker.com/article/...ffers-hybrid-shooters-the-best-of-both-worlds

So Nikon's solved the problem but Canon hasn't.

How's that read?

;)

I see not comment about no overheating, so all we can say is they did not mention either way. Yes, I am cyncial considering overheating is one of the hot topics. But, from that same article

Autofocus in video mode is terrible. Even if you want to do something simple as tap the screen to focus on a specific point, you can’t rely on it. It's slow and inaccurate. For video, this is perhaps the weakest aspect of the D850.

So maybe they had to sacrifice something to reduce the processor workrate? I don't know.
However, that is in the D580 - we have not yet seen the 4k video in the Z6/Z7 to know the have solved the problem in a smaller body (which is really what hths is about).

Even if the Nikon D850 does not overheat, you are falling into the assumption that because one company has found a way it automatically follows that it is 'easy' and other companies must also be able to do it. That is almost puerile in its simplicity. I don't buy that just as Nikon has taken years to develop a half-usable video function/interface whereas Canon and Sony have had it for years.

Oh, and where is Sony's touch screen? The Canon 5DIV is apparently way ahead of Sony which is another indicator that different companies have different priorities.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
This is the same debate that people had when the 6d mark II was rumored and then released. The lack of 120fps on video and 4K. People were losing their shit and telling people to go screw themselves and switch canon to something else or buy a dedicated video camera. Those people are dumb! Why switch or get a video camera for something that all other manufacture camera companies offer already and have so for years. We just would like canon to catch up with the times. That's all. At least 120 on 1080 would make this perfect. We are in the film making youtube and instagram world. Where photography and video is blended into one and traveling light is essential.

Canon: "Then buy from someone else. Thanks for asking."

I mean everyone would love to be able to buy a Rolex watch for $10, but Rolex is not going to sell you one for that. If another watch company sells a watch that keeps just as good time as the Rolex, then have at it.

Upvote 0
Canon: "Then buy from someone else. Thanks for asking."

I mean everyone would love to be able to buy a Rolex watch for $10, but Rolex is not going to sell you one for that. If another watch company sells a watch that keeps just as good time as the Rolex, then have at it.
Why are you making this a money $$$ issue. I don't care the cost. I'd buy it if it were 3-4k or even more. Just have the features I want. Simple. Give it a simple 4k codec, dual card slots and 120fps at 1080. atleast 1080.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Why are you making this a money $$$ issue. I don't care the cost. I'd buy it if it were 3-4k or even more. Just have the features I want. Simple. Give it a simple 4k codec, dual card slots and 120fps at 1080. atleast 1080.

Rolex watches don't have many features that $10 digital watches do, either.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Eye AF is the solution for the bad AF spread points in FF DSRL´s. At least for wide open portraits.

It's a solution for those who can't focus wide open without even more hand holding than vanilla AF provides. Some folks act as if no shallow depth of field portrait could possibly have ever been made before Eye EF!

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Who decides what is a "still camera price" or a "real video camera price" ? You're obviously not familiar with the free market. The world has moved on while Canon, like some of their apologists, have been sleeping under a rock.

Actually Red was a big factor behind the cinema EOS line. Red made a big splash in 2007 which had Hollywood enamored and Canon looking at their own success with the 5D2 a year later, reasoned there was a big untapped market for pro video in Red's price range. That's when they decided to downplay video in their prosumer dslrs going forward. But the world has changed. Today there are brilliant products from Sony and Panasonic that do both photo and high quality video while Canon keeps recycling the same s***.

Also while Canon continues to sell roughly half of all ILCs sold worldwide.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Please clarify what 'fully EF compatible new mount' means to you:
  • If you mean what everyone else is doing -- thin flange distance plus EF adaptor -- then yes. 100% they need a few new lenses a launch. Hopefully they are lenses that make the size savings pop and are not clones of higher end EF glass (which would send EF users into a panic that EF is going away, even with an adaptor in the mix).

• If you mean it's straight up identical physically to EF but it secretly has fancy/improved lens communications, I'd wonder why they did it, have a jillion questions about how this isn't fragmentation of the mount for future lenses a la Nikon. Yes, they could put out a new EF-Fancy 24-70 f/2.8 Special AF to show this off, but I'd just be scratching my head why they did.

• If you mean weird new mount that receives two different kinds of lenses, like the EF-X concept or a variable/actuated flange distance, then yes, some nestled/tucked-in lenses would be in order.
But if it's just straight EF, I would argue no new lenses need to be made: kit the damn thing with the 24-105L II or something. In fact, it might be best not to put out new glass at launch. There's no better way to hammer home that EF will be money on this new system than to kit EF with it and show how perfectly it works.

- A

Isn't that what all of these "window dressing" lens updates are really about? Just because Canon hasn't told us yet does not mean new lenses like the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS III aren't mostly about being compatible with new and upcoming camera bodies, such as the new FF ML. That's always the way Canon has done things. Secretly include the capability of working with upcoming products for 2-3 years before the new product is rolled out. How long has it been since the EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS II was introduced? Hmmmm...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Isn't that what all of these "window dressing" lens updates are really about? Just because Canon hasn't told us yet does not mean new lenses like the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS III aren't mostly about being compatible with new and upcoming camera bodies, such as the new FF ML. That's always the way Canon has done things. Secretly include the capability of working with upcoming products for 2-3 years before the new product is rolled out. How long has it been since the EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS II was introduced? Hmmmm...
Possibly, but I think more likely the ‘minor’ updates represent Canon moving their more popular lenses to fully automated production lines.

Upvote 0