Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

Firillu

Zobb f’sormok
Feb 16, 2017
Pluto
I have to say I was keen, especially with the rumours pointing to a great solution for keeping with the EF mount. I knew that wasn't quite impossible, but adapters suck. It's not great at all.

I have a 5DIV and 7D2 and a few L-series lenses. I'm keen to replace my ageing 16-35mmL, and I know that one advantage of mirrorless and is wide angle lenses can be designed better. They don't even make one yet for the RF and am sure it will come.

If I buy any RF lenses, I can't use them on my EF bodies. I think for the time being I won't be buying or replacing my ageing lenses.

Also, there is nothing really there for me to say I have to have - yes it might be smaller and lighter, but lenses are still big and heavy, and that is not going to change. In body stabilisation would have been great, drench proof rather then weatherproof would have been great too.

The reality is that Canon (and Nikon) are about 10 years late with mirrorless.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Hi,
4K is auto cropped to "Super 35mm-like resolution"... may be to match the look and feel of their cinema camera output??

Have a nice day.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH NO GOD DAMN IT.
This was pretty much the ONLY feature that was REALY important to my. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?
And they even sell it as a cool "automatic" feature. OMFG. Just give me 4k fullframe. Why is this so god damn difficult??? ARGH. I dont even ask for 60fps... just give me a fullframe 4k image. I could have said "okay" to EVERY other missing feature...

Overall this looks like a REALY great camera, there is pretty much every feature in it that I like and the R-Mount with adapters for EF looks like a decent option for my EF lenses (better than 3rd party adapters for Sony). But WHYYYY The ****** did they not implement 4k fullframe? :( :( :( :(

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
No. It uses the same 30MP sensor from the 5D IV but with more phase detection. You can watch, one of Canon's promo videos directly comparing the EOS R imaging processor to the 5D IV.

Yep but having the same processor or sensor doesn't mean it's the same class as 5DMkIV. Dual card slot is a borderline to me. I believe (based on the previous rumors) there will be another 40+Mp camera with pro-facing specs. Likely with dual card slot.

If not, I'm personally still waiting, this camera won't give me a drastic improvement in IQ, especially if it's the same sensor as my 5DMkIV.

Upvote 0
I have to say I was keen, especially with the rumours pointing to a great solution for keeping with the EF mount. I knew that wasn't quite impossible, but adapters suck. It's not great at all.

I have a 5DIV and 7D2 and a few L-series lenses. I'm keen to replace my ageing 16-35mmL, and I know that one advantage of mirrorless and is wide angle lenses can be designed better. They don't even make one yet for the RF and am sure it will come.

If I buy any RF lenses, I can't use them on my EF bodies. I think for the time being I won't be buying or replacing my ageing lenses.

Also, there is nothing really there for me to say I have to have - yes it might be smaller and lighter, but lenses are still big and heavy, and that is not going to change. In body stabilisation would have been great, drench proof rather then weatherproof would have been great too.

The reality is that Canon (and Nikon) are about 10 years late with mirrorless.

I think the adapter is a great intermediate solution as it actually adds functionality to your old lenses and is native software.

Upvote 0
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH NO GOD DAMN IT.
This was pretty much the ONLY feature that was REALY important to my. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?
And they even sell it as a cool "automatic" feature. OMFG. Just give me 4k fullframe. Why is this so god damn difficult??? ARGH. I dont even ask for 60fps... just give me a fullframe 4k image. I could have said "okay" to EVERY other missing feature...

Overall this looks like a REALY great camera, there is pretty much every feature in it that I like and the R-Mount with adapters for EF looks like a decent option for my EF lenses (better than 3rd party adapters for Sony). But WHYYYY The ****** did they not implement 4k fullframe? :(:(:(:(
Yeah that sucks, but this is their gimped version of a body. In other areas too. I think that made my wait for a pro version a lot easier. I LOVE their direction though. Dat UI and Destroyed Sony's and Nikkon's AF on their first attempt. Quite a feat. Definitively have NO desire to go to Sony now. If that was the sole purpose of this camera, mission accomplished. They showed a competitive, bright future for my lenses. Finally. Thank you Canon. Haha

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Waait....i can see in a video that there is an electronic stabilization in the sensor witch can be combined with IS in the lens, for video!! So there is in fact image stabilization in the sensor!!

I think that is the digital stabilization, which will crop the picture slightly and move it around digitally. IIRC the newer EOS M cameras already have that.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
Waait....i can see in a video that there is an electronic stabilization in the sensor witch can be combined with IS in the lens, for video!! So there is in fact image stabilization in the sensor!!

Digital stabilization makes sense for video, it is about frame to frame variation.
It cannot work for still photography. (unless the exposure time gets subdivided)

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Indeed. Why is this "the ONLY feature that was REALY important"?

Just give me 4k fullframe. Why is this so god damn difficult???
Because of the calculations involved to convert a 30x2 (DP) megapixel image to 4k. They require power, and this power is dissipated within the camera, heating it.

Upvote 0
It's not. It drops that low when shooting in a special kind of RAW format. I misunderstood.
yeah, as I read the specs it seems it's 8 fps for one-shot AF and 5 fps in servo AF / AE...

still not as fast as I'd hoped...and frankly as a wildlife shooter probably not better than the 5d mark iv which itself wasn't optimal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
Are there likely to be any disadvantages when using EF lenses on EOS R via the mount adapter, reduced maximum aperture, crop factor, auto focus preformance etc ?

There is no good reason why EF lens performance should degrade on a RF body, but EF lenses will not inherit new features that depend on the RF mount. (faster AF protocol (?), closing aperture blades when camera off, ... (?) .

Upvote 0