Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I still have the feeling of being left behind with my 6D and my EF lenses exactly as I was in '87 with my AE1-P and my FD lenses.
I understand the need for leap jumping but damn, I hate adaptors. An how about my planned investment in a 24-70 f/2.8 II L and the 135 f/2.0 L ? Will I do that now? Probably not. Or maybe by some used ones.
My guess is, that with this launch Canon is going all in on EOS-R, and we will probably see a lot more new RF mount cameras. I will be surprised if we will ever see an 7D or a 6D mkIII. We will might see a new 5D and 1D, but that will be it. The rest will RF cameras an probably with IBIS too.
The control-ring and the control bar (replacing the control wheel) looks smart. Very smart.
I will probably keep my beloved 6D until it is totally worn out, and then buy a RF mount camera, and RF 2.0 or 2.8 "standard-zoom" and a few primes, and the reuse my old EF lenses - maybe even buy some extra adaptors to be fixed on the most used lenses.
Canon is probably doing the right thing with the RF mount - I just have to take it in.....
Don't worry, as others already said, I expect Canon (and Nikon) to phase out their DSLR line gradually, not disruptive. As long as they sell enought DSLRs, they will update this line, but of course it'll slow down. They really had to move seriously in the ML business, otherwise they would have killed their ILC camera production within the next years.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
“I was instantly impressed with how quickly the EOS R was able to focus,” remarked celebrated fashion photographer and Canon Explorer of Light Lindsay Adler. “Whether my subject was moving or I was shooting in near-complete darkness, I had no problem getting tack-sharp focus in every shot. It was a relief to know my gear wasn’t going to hold me back from executing my vision, but instead it would really help me to execute this vision.”

Now that sounds really interesting for low light photography. People will keep complaining about no IBIS and cropped 4K, but I think the EOS R system is really worth considering it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
The people who should probably be more concerned are the owners of EOS M systems. The bit about support for EF-S lenses almost seems to imply that the EOS R system will have include APS-C bodies. What will happen to the EOS M range and EF-M mount?

No, all it implies is that EOS R FF bodies will have a crop mode. There will be NO RF mount APS-C bodies.

I am an EOS M / EF-M system owner and NOT concerned at all. Everything at Canon will be exactly as during the DSLR era:
* 1 mount and lens-lineup for APS-C: EOS M, EF-M. Priority on very compact size, decent IQ, affordable price.
* 1 mount and lens-lineup for FF: EOS R, RF. Priority on high IQ, high performance @ significantly more size and higher price.

Only 1 footnote: RF lenses will not be mountable on EF-M. But, so what.
:)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Actually the kits are sold in separate boxes, at least the ones I've seen before.
The only "advantage" you get is one box instead of two. *lol
The kit boxes I know (Germany) from consumer and 5D cameras have one (robust) main/outer box with weaker internal boxes (the white boxes) for body and lens.
Or even no boxes but bubble foil.
To me this is not the point, but that a kit is pointless if you don't get a price advantage - already with THE MRSP.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Has Canon confirmed how many still Fps this introductory model will shoot? I keep seeing 5 fps and 8 fps depending on mode. For a wildlife photographer I'm hoping it's 8 fps in servo mode because otherwise it might just be a tad slow.
I heard somewhere with servo and DPAF enabled it's 2.2 FPS. Hope that garbage isn't true. LOL I can live with 5.

Upvote 0
The kit boxes I know (Germany) from consumer and 5D cameras have one (robust) main/outer box with weaker internal boxes (the white boxes) for body and lens.
Or even no boxes but bubble foil.
To me this is not the point, but that a kit is pointless if you don't get a price advantage - already with THE MRSP.

Sure the number of boxes doesn't matter.
I believe 2299 is an RRP, we'll find it down to 2100 or so with promotions and discounnts and on grey market.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
The White paper contains a lot of good information. Especially on the RF lenses ... comparing them to EF lenses ... in surprisingly clear language. Not seen such clean cut "direct comparison to other Canon products" before in a Canon White paper. Recommended read.
https://downloads.canon.com/nw/camera/misc-pages/eos-r/pdf/canon_eos_r_white_paper.pdf

@neuroanatomist you may want to have a look at p. 22ff ... the new "Thin-type" Nano USM AF drive implemented in the RF 24-105 and optical performance compared to EF 24-105/4 L IS II and EF 24-105/3.5-6.3 :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
The White paper contains a lot of good information. Especially on the RF lenses ... comparing them to EF lenses ... in surprisingly clear language. Not seen anything like it before in a Canon White paper. Recommended read.
https://downloads.canon.com/nw/camera/misc-pages/eos-r/pdf/canon_eos_r_white_paper.pdf

@Neuro you may want to have a look at p. 22ff ... the new "Thin-type" Nano USM AF drive implemented in the RF 24-105 and optical performance compared to EF 24-105/4 L IS II and EF 24-105/3.5-6.3 :)

Denied access. Maybe you want to publish or offer different link

Upvote 0