Canon officially announces 4 new RF lenses, mount adaptors and Speedlite EL-100

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, N.Y., September 5, 2018 – Helping to rewrite the rules of visual expression, Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today introduced a variety of new RF lenses and accessories to accompany the newly announced EOS R Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera System. The four new RF lenses are built around Canon’s new RF mount, which features a large 54mm diameter and shorter back focus distance than on current EOS DSLR cameras. The new RF mount enables new possibilities in optical design and lens formulation, allowing for faster and lighter lenses with higher performing optics.

The four new lenses, the Canon RF 28-70mm F2 L USM, RF 50mm F1.2 L USM, RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM and RF 35mm F1.8 MACRO IS STM capitalize on the robust optic foundation of Canon’s new EOS R system. The design behind Canon’s new EOS R camera and RF lens system started with the concept of the optimal rear lens element diameter and shorter distance (back focus) for a Full-Frame image sensor.
With...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Did I correctly understand that like the new 400 and 600mm lenses, the new 50 and 28-70 do not have full time manual autofocus?

EDIT (taken from the Canon’s RF Whitepaper)

10.1.3 Focus Ring Rotation Direction Change

The RF lenses all incorporate an ability to choose the direction of rotation of the manual focus control. In place of a direct mechanical connection from focus control ring to the actual focusing optics, through a threaded, all mechanical helicoid, the system uses a focus ring connected to a series of many very fine, electronic contacts. There's no direct, mechanical connection at all to the group(s) of elements that move the focusing element. Rotating the focus ring sends a series of very specific, fine signals to these contacts. These are converted into signals to the same focus motor (USM, Nano USM, etc.) that's used for autofocus. The motor now drives the lens to change focus.

Inherent to this system there is a custom function to change Manual Focus direction, which can be an invaluable asset to users transitioning to Canon from competitive systems. This also benefit users who utilize a follow focus system (external gears and a knob to control focus) .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did I correctly understand that like the new 400 and 600mm lenses, the new 50 and 28-70 do not have full time manual autofocus?

They also don't seem to have distance window. It is quite bold move especially for primes unless those information are available digitally in viewfinder.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I've given the EOS R subject less than an hour of my time so far. I'm interested (dare I say excited?) but I rarely buy anything right away after it is released. (I buy my cars used too.) I just can't accept the high price of impatience. Plus, by buying after the first year, I get the added benefit of less bugs/defects.

Yeah, lens prices are bit high IMHO. But that's not unusual for Canon. They go nuts the first year. Then they begin to drop.

I will be buying that Speedlite pretty quick though! I've been using 3rd party versions of it for years. I've always wanted a Canon version of a small flash that rotates and swivels. StoFen better not waste any time putting out a diffuser. (In fact, I better email them right now and get them off their butts. LOL)

After 10 years of being back into photography in a big way (partially thanks to canonrumors) my arm doesn't like the heavy camera all day long and neither does my shoulder. Esp when I use two of them. So this will eventually be a great alternative! (I hope!)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
They also don't seem to have distance window. It is quite bold move especially for primes unless those information are available digitally in viewfinder.
The MkIII supertele lenses have a distance window.
view.jpg

Upvote 0