What lenses are coming next for the Canon RF mount?

The interesting thing about the R series is pricing. If Canon (and Nikon) really want people to jump into this system pricing would be aggressive. That, of course, would anger people who recently bought new EF FF equipment. Still, think about it: B&H has the EF 50mm f1.2 at list price: US$1,449.00. The list price of the R 50mm F1.2 is $2,229. If Canon really wanted people to run to this system, price is one way to do it. Perhaps, as a new system, Canon doesn't want initially to be overwhelmed. Or, as I say, it doesn't want to anger EF owners. Still, it's interesting.
On the other hand, note that the list price of the new R camera is US$2,229. That's only $300 more than the list price of the 6D2. For that $300 you get more megapixels in the sensor and a huge number more AF points. On the other hand, it seems from the official brochure (https://store.canon.com.au/media/attachments/EOS_R_Camera_Brochure.pdf) you only get 3 frames per second in continuous servo mode. For me that's a big negative, and one I'll bet will be a deal-breaker for many.

UPDATE: I just checked with DPReview, which says the camera gets 5fps with AF tracking (which compares to 6.5 FPS on the 6D2) or 3 fps in the higher-precision 'tracking priority' mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
bulbous front no problem any longer. Just use EF lens and RF adapter with filter.
Bulbous front is a problem for 17 TS-E because it tends to catch sun lens flare sometimes even from behind.

I don't think that RF mount could help a lot with that, though. The lens still needs to be retrofocal with medium format image circle.

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
Bulbous front is a problem for 17 TS-E because it tends to catch sun lens flare sometimes even from behind.

I don't think that RF mount could help a lot with that, though. The lens still needs to be retrofocal with medium format image circle.
Not sure if it’s true or not, but I would think the lack of mirror box clipping would aid IQ especially with a tilted or shifted WA lens like a 17mm.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

GadgetDave

All the cameras
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2016
The interesting thing about the R series is pricing. If Canon (and Nikon) really want people to jump into this system pricing would be aggressive. That, of course, would anger people who recently bought new EF FF equipment. Still, think about it: B&H has the EF 50mm f1.2 at list price: US$1,449.00. The list price of the R 50mm F1.2 is $2,229. If Canon really wanted people to run to this system, price is one way to do it. Perhaps, as a new system, Canon doesn't want initially to be overwhelmed. Or, as I say, it doesn't want to anger EF owners. Still, it's interesting.
On the other hand, note that the list price of the new R camera is US$2,229. That's only $300 more than the list price of the 6D2. For that $300 you get more megapixels in the sensor and a huge number more AF points. On the other hand, it seems from the official brochure (https://store.canon.com.au/media/attachments/EOS_R_Camera_Brochure.pdf) you only get 3 frames per second in continuous servo mode. For me that's a big negative, and one I'll bet will be a deal-breaker for many.

UPDATE: I just checked with DPReview, which says the camera gets 5fps with AF tracking (which compares to 6.5 FPS on the 6D2) or 3 fps in the higher-precision 'tracking priority' mode.

Agreed that a number of lower cost lenses would go a long way. They'll do a few more "L" lenses to make sure they get the pros/semipros who want this, but adoption from the masses will take lower-priced glass, for sure.

In your comparison above, not sure it's fair to compare that EF 50mm 1.2 with the RF. I think the EF is approaching 12 years old, and as Canon has shown with other lens releases in the past few years, it might be optically superior to even that great lens. Waiting for some real hands-on tests on that.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Predictions: (1) the TS-E lenses are not going to be revised for at least 5 years, probably more like 10, and they will remain EF mount lenses. (2) the 70-135 f/2 is never going to happen. (3) 11-24 f/4 and 70-200 f/4 lenses, emphasizing slight reductions in size and weight, will be introduced within a year. Those wanting f/2.8 versions will make do with EF mount lenses for at least another 3 years.

Wish list: I want something like the Olympus 12-100 f/4 Pro lens for the M4/3 system. I'd settle for a 24-180 f/4 L.

Upvote 0
I think they need a lot of non-L lenses. If most or all the RF lenses were expensive L versions, that’d block off the normal way new photographers gradually get invested into a new system (low priced entry level lenses). And if you expect them to buy the adaptor, plus the lenses, 1.) it adds size that, coupled with the bigger EF lenses, negates the “advantage” of a smaller camera, and 2.) it adds an extra expense for the adaptor, and an extra hassle when changing lenses.

Upvote 0