DPReview: Canon EOS R first impressions with Chris and Rishi

Jul 28, 2015
I'm not really sure what would happen if you have IS in both the body and lens at the same time but I would really like it in body because I only shoot primes and none of them has IS. I would love it if the lenses has IS but i don't think Canon will do that any time soon.
So IBIS is my best hope.

Canon and Panasonic combine in-lens and IBIS to give another 1-1.5 stops of stabilisation to an already insanely good functionality (but Panasonic only have in-lens IS on primes longer than about 25mm. Olympus only have in-lens on their telephotos).

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Don't believe everything you read on the internet ;)

Does 87% Gold for 5D IV and 89% Gold for 1D X II indicate negative bias against Canon on our part?

We try to be as unbiased as possible, while considering products against the entire marketplace (not just within one brand). Inevitably that means we'll disappoint some with some reviews, others with others.

Hopefully though, those looking for the information they need will get it in our reviews. And if you don't, please let us know in the comments. Thanks.

I can bias a rating by weighting or down weighting different features. I would like to see the rating sites, give ratings for Action, stills, ... They could say these factors are weighted XYZ. If I have a different need I should be able to change the weighting. For example a landscape photographer might not need AF or high ISO but does need good DR at low (base) ISO while a nature / sports photographer needs AF and high ISO but would seldom shoot at low ISO.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm not really sure what would happen if you have IS in both the body and lens at the same time but I would really like it in body because I only shoot primes and none of them has IS. I would love it if the lenses has IS but i don't think Canon will do that any time soon.
So IBIS is my best hope.

Having two stabilizers trying to do the same thing sounds like a perfect starting point for a feedback loop.
But they have it figured out. The lBIS does three axes and the lens IS the remaining two.
See DPR guru answer the question behind the link.

Upvote 0
Glad to see old Rishi boy still shoots expensive cameras using its default shooting configuration, while expecting the camera to read his mind on where it should focus...

?

In our first impressions video, I literally say that Canon shooters will have to customize / setup the AF on the camera before use... (because it's not set up be default to easily choose your AF point with your eye to the finder, unless you're used to the old Canon way of selecting your AF point using a button in combination with the front/rear dials)... Implying I obviously customized it myself before shooting.

'Read his mind on where it should focus' -- this indicates to me you're unfamiliar with what subject tracking is. *I* choose my subject, not the camera, it's just that with a proper implementation of subject tracking I can choose my subject faster than the time it takes you to move your AF point over to your subject for the composition you have in mind.

Upvote 0
BTW it is remarkable how beautiful the EOS R sample pictures are on the DPR site.

Almost as if I could pick up the camera and just make it work for me... :)

Thanks, by the way. Glad you enjoyed them. More to come. It really is lovely how easy it is to edit Canon files in ACR/Lightroom. Select 'Camera Standard' as the profile and the colors, well, just work. Requiring minimal post-processing.

Upvote 0