The Canon EOS R will begin shipping to customers on October 9, 2018, if not sooner

I'm building a Canon kit from scratch. I have my EOS R in hand and the 50 1.2 and 28-70 2.0 on order. Are there any EF mount lenses (from Canon or other makers) that you folks might consider must-haves in terms of price to performance ratio and how they might perform on the EOS R?

I'm impressed with the 85mm 1.4 IS on the EOS R, just fantastic IQ and stable video is amazing if you shoot video.

Upvote 0

dlmartin81

EOS R
Sep 1, 2018
With all cameras that have an EVF (my experiences only) they automatically turn off exposure preview when a flash or trigger is put in the hotshoe so as to allow proper framing in what they assume is a dark environment. As I shoot manual I don't pay attention to metering. If you have a TTL flash then it is showing (most likely ) default flash exposure settings.
What I do is switch off the trigger to allow a base exposure (should I want one) and then turn on the trigger to shoot. This is particularly useful for fill flash.
In a dark environment where flash is the bulk of light in the scene I would let it just brighten the view so I can actually frame accurately.

Yes, I discovered that turning off the hotshoe unit the exposure preview is enabled again. I suppose your workaround is viable. But slows workflow a little. I guess it's just something to learn and get used to with the mirrorless systems.

Upvote 0
Yes, I discovered that turning off the hotshoe unit the exposure preview is enabled again. I suppose your workaround is viable. But slows workflow a little. I guess it's just something to learn and get used to with the mirrorless systems.
I just do it once to get my base exposure and then shoot. In my 40+ years shooting I have noticed that light conditions in an area are pretty similar and one can get away with little changes in exposure.
If one is moving from sun to shade then more work is required but usually is not a big deal.

Upvote 0
For Godox users, we'll have to wait for an update of the firmwares.
I tryed with V860II on camera, with X-pro and deported V860II and Ad200. Untill 1/200sec everything seems to work fine.
The troubles starts with HSS, I can't get consistent sceene illumination, and after 1/2000sec i get lots of bandings and it gets worse with faster shutter speed
edit: tests on a white wall

I tested this with my godox, same here. Then I tested also with my only Canon flash, the 580EX. That was on camera, and on HSS it also gives similar banding. Don't know if the newer canon flashes behave better in this regard... anyone?

Upvote 0
I tested this with my godox, same here. Then I tested also with my only Canon flash, the 580EX. That was on camera, and on HSS it also gives similar banding. Don't know if the newer canon flashes behave better in this regard... anyone?
I din't get any banding on my 580EX II, only on my Godox flashes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
I had an EOS-R in my hands for the first time today - October 24th in Denmark. It looks and feels like a solid camera. I did not have the time to really play with it - especially the touch bar I think you need to get used to.
But the size reminds me of my Canon AE1-P with FD mount. But the grip i much better.

Being the happy owner of a 6D, my original plan was to move for a 6DmkIII or a 5DmkIV (or V) sometime in the future. And before that my next lens should be and EF 24-70 f/2.8 mkII.
Now I don't really know.
I quess I will still go for a EF 24-70 f/2.8 mkII, but maybe a not-to-much used second hand.
And the next body: 3 to 5 years from now will probably be and R-series. Not because I especially want a mirrorless, but my guess is, that the EOS DSLR line will fade out over the next 5 to 10 years.
Time will show - but the R-series looks as i should - like a Canon !

Upvote 0