Any interviews about Canon's commitment to DSLR and EF mount in the future?

• Thread starter Deleted member 68328
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 68328

Hi,

I was wondering if in some recent interviews Canon stated that they will absolutely stay committed to DSLR and EF mount in the future.
I know that Nikon made such a statement when they released their Z6/Z7 cameras. But what about Canon? I'm definitely no into mirrorless market.

Any links or interviews that you could share about this? Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 26, 2013
The promotional material for the R has made it fairly clear that Canon looks at the R system as an addition - not a replacement - to DSLRs and EF mount.

Consider: There is only one R camera, and by the end of next year there may be 3. There are far more DSLRs for sale and far, far more EF lenses.
Consider: Most camera buyers (it would seem) wait one and often two generations to buy a new camera. So for the next 3 to 7 years, most Canon camera owners will still be using DSLRs. I don't think Canon will ignore them. No matter how quickly Canon adds RF lenses, their EF lens lineup will be larger for many more years.

That's my opinion.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Well, I haven't read the same interviews. I merely asked to be given the links to those interviews. That's all. No rolling eyes needed.
Not for you! I was shamed, blasted, accused of trollism, and hounded by a few nuts for asking more or less the same question in the summer before the EOS R was announced. I generally took it in stride, though I was disappointed by the foggy, reactionary thought processes of some here, by an almost totalitarian rage for suggesting EF was entering its twilight phase, and asking what strategies would be useful when deciding about sale of current EF lenses--and future purchases.

Personally, based on my own reading of the scant relevant info Canon has been sharing, I think Canon intends to phase out EF over time, and that the RF mount is a replacement, not an addition. As I've said many times before, there will be a transition period that Canon will work out, that can't be clearly determined at this time by consumers or perhaps even Canon itself. Years? Certainly. A decade? Barely half that is my guess.

Though there were angry voices in response to questions about what to do with current EF lens collections, there was also a reassuring balance of members here patiently suggesting to, in short, "remain calm and carry on." To make lens purchasing decisions based on need. If the declining value of used lenses is a serious concern to some, to others it is an opportunity. And so forth.

Now I embrace the RF future. I have a 5D IV and L lenses that will work on whatever RF body I eventually buy, though early reports are suggesting "refreshed" EF updates are slightly tweaked to work better with RF bodies. The EOS R is not appealing to me, as I'd like a better sensor and improved ergonomics, etc. before upgrading from the 5DIV. But I'm sure Canon will develop the RF bodies to be clearly superior in most shooting situations, and Canon will have an expanding set of RF lenses. I don't want to have two versions of the same focal lengths, so if I'm very happy with a current EF lens, such as the ef 35mm f/1.4L II, I keep it indefinitely, expecting it to be as good as it is on the 5DIV when used on mirrorless. But I'm already saving up for the rf 50mm f/1.2L! If an ef refresh of this lens were announced at this point, I'd have to pass on it.

Future EF lens innovations? I doubt it. Some "refreshes" to update firmware for better RF performance? Tougher question!

Ah, how the camera world turns. :D:sneaky::unsure::whistle::coffee::coffee::coffee::giggle::giggle::alien::geek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Not for you! I was shamed, blasted, accused of trollism, and hounded by a few nuts for asking more or less the same question in the summer before the EOS R was announced.
No, you were shamed, blasted and accused of trolling for asking more or less the same question over and over in multiple, repetitive new threads.

And obviously you're still doing it.

rolleyes.gif

They say one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. You would be that nut.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
No, you were shamed, blasted and accused of trolling for asking more or less the same question over and over in multiple, repetitive new threads.

And obviously you're still doing it.

They say one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. You would be that nut.
Just as you keep replying with the same replies. I was attacked the first time I brought it up. I think I started three different threads about a hot topic in two weeks, each with a different approach. Why? Because I was naïve enough to think it was the WAY I was asking, not WHAT I was asking. And here you are responding exactly the same way as back in June.

And please note, I was replying to the OP. Yes, this is topic of ongoing interest.

For you, neuro, who has boasted repeatedly about the awesome size of your lens collection, even shown glamour shots of it, the resale value of an EF lens may mean nothing. Fine! I'm happy for you. But then why do you attack somebody who is concerned about it? You immediately, on my first attempt to start the discussion, began with the condescension and attempts to stop the discussion. Instead of discussing the topic, you attacked the OP.

Clearly, with your personal attack here, and the giant size of your emoji, you are attempting to stifle the discussion again. If you can't see that, if you don't have that insight, then maybe you are dealing with stress by just being cranky and reactionary on a forum you used to make better with your helpful, eloquent suggestion and explanations. Lately though, you seem to just belittle posters in an overhanded way, reflexively, on autopilot.

I'm sorry for whatever you might be going through that has led to this. Whatever it is, I hope it is something that can be worked through.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
You go right on labeling people "nuts" then complaining about being personally attacked, whatever floats your boat.

I'm not sure why you seemingly decided to take up fear mongering over, as you seem to perceive it, the impending doom for the EF mount and DSLRs in general. Perhaps it's the political environment of the day having a negative impact on you.

I think I need an even bigger emoji.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Just as you keep replying with the same replies. I was attacked the first time I brought it up. I think I started three different threads about a hot topic in two weeks, each with a different approach. Why? Because I was naïve enough to think it was the WAY I was asking, not WHAT I was asking. And here you are responding exactly the same way as back in June.

And please note, I was replying to the OP. Yes, this is topic of ongoing interest.

For you, neuro, who has boasted repeatedly about the awesome size of your lens collection, even shown glamour shots of it, the resale value of an EF lens may mean nothing. Fine! I'm happy for you. But then why do you attack somebody who is concerned about it? You immediately, on my first attempt to start the discussion, began with the condescension and attempts to stop the discussion. Instead of discussing the topic, you attacked the OP.

Clearly, with your personal attack here, and the giant size of your emoji, you are attempting to stifle the discussion again. If you can't see that, if you don't have that insight, then maybe you are dealing with stress by just being cranky and reactionary on a forum you used to make better with your helpful, eloquent suggestion and explanations. Lately though, you seem to just belittle posters in an overhanded way, reflexively, on autopilot.

I'm sorry for whatever you might be going through that has led to this. Whatever it is, I hope it is something that can be worked through.

While I have complete respect for neuroanatomist knowledge and contribution to Canon Rumors sometimes the attacks are unwarranted and too personal.
It's as easy to be pleasant or ignore. I prefer the good and helpful neuroanatomist who really contributes to knowledge gain (and does very good reviews from time to time).
Nobody can be sure to be right on this topic as time will tell.
Canon will keep going with EF as long as its viable. The more successful EOS-R is the faster the process.
It would be a sign of success for Canon that EOS-R is thriving and meeting customers needs.
I think the second hand market will live for 50 years but I too would estimate about 5 years before we stop seeing the selling of new EF lens.
By then Canon should have the full range of lens available.
It would be a waste of resources producing parallel lens of the same focal length.
But that's my estimate, with such a large user group Canon might be more conservative and keeping EF going for 10 years

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
The market will decide the future of EF and RF mount lenses and cameras.

Saying that EF will be replaced in 5 years is an opinion based on ZERO facts and information.
Saying that EF will be replaced in 10 years, or 1 year - or EVER is an opinion based on ZERO facts and information.

Saying Canon plans on phasing out or replacing EF is a totally useless speculation because...

Thus rolling eyes and negative responses to any prediction based on ZERO facts and information.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

Saying that EF will be replaced in 5 years is an opinion based on ZERO facts and information.
Saying that EF will be replaced in 10 years, or 1 year - or EVER is an opinion based on ZERO facts and information.

Saying Canon plans on phasing out or replacing EF is a totally useless speculation because...

Thus rolling eyes and negative responses to any prediction based on ZERO facts and information.
First, any estimate I've given has been clearly noted to be conjecture.
This forum isn't "Canon Tech Support" or "Canon Specs and Facts Only." This is a site built around speculation, and made very popular because of the many helpful responses to tech questions, plus just as many helpful purchase and gear-use suggestions. Dak, you make it sound as if there's no place on this forum for guessing what the future holds for Canon and its customers.

After the exchange with Neuro, I took the kids to school and then did some shopping. And of course I had time to think...I have been overplaying the chip on my shoulder about the hostility during the summer, to the point where it's trite and tiresome. For that I apologize. It really is time to let it go and not bring it up again.

But that doesn't mean I won't participate in threads involving this topic.

The one related fact I know regarding the future of EF: Canon states that RF is its future. Yes, they also say it isn't a replacement for EF, but they have an interest in keeping the transition orderly, in a slow wind-down of the EF products and support system. So I take much of what comes from any big corporation with a grain of salt, look at the photography industry as a whole (from my limited perspective, to be sure), and predict EF will see very little, if any, further innovation or significant updates that do more than prep existing models for better use on RF mounts.

And we can all draw our own conclusions about the mixed bag of recent EF lens updates. Some wonderful, going back as far as the ef 35mm f/1.4L II, some puzzling, such as the recent ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
First, any estimate I've given has been clearly noted to be conjecture.
This forum isn't "Canon Tech Support" or "Canon Specs and Facts Only." This is a site built around speculation, and made very popular because of the many helpful responses to tech questions, plus just as many helpful purchase and gear-use suggestions. Dak, you make it sound as if there's no place on this forum for guessing what the future holds for Canon and its customers.

After the exchange with Neuro, I took the kids to school and then did some shopping. And of course I had time to think...I have been overplaying the chip on my shoulder about the hostility during the summer, to the point where it's trite and tiresome. For that I apologize. It really is time to let it go and not bring it up again.

But that doesn't mean I won't participate in threads involving this topic.

The one related fact I know regarding the future of EF: Canon states that RF is its future. Yes, they also say it isn't a replacement for EF, but they have an interest in keeping the transition orderly, in a slow wind-down of the EF products and support system. So I take much of what comes from any big corporation with a grain of salt, look at the photography industry as a whole (from my limited perspective, to be sure), and predict EF will see very little, if any, further innovation or significant updates that do more than prep existing models for better use on RF mounts.

And we can all draw our own conclusions about the mixed bag of recent EF lens updates. Some wonderful, going back as far as the ef 35mm f/1.4L II, some puzzling, such as the recent ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III.
Well said!!!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Regarding the 70-200 III, the MkII is a stellar lens with two notable flaws – it’s on the edge of vignetting issues with it’s 77mm filter (adding even a standard B+W F-Pro mount UV filter increases vignetting, and it suffers from really bad flare in backlit scenes. It appears the MkIII specifically addresses the latter.

Consider also the set of TS-E Macro lenses released earlier this year, not too long before the EOS R.

Upvote 0

As big as Canon is, it still has limited resources. Product development takes time. The 70-200 still compares well against the Sony and Nikon competitors and it's much more affordable. The III addresses flare with new coatings (I remember seeing the Northup comparison that came out a few months ago). Maybe there are new EF lenses coming out but those decisions were made years ago.

Because resources are finite, Canon has to slow down EF development if brings out additional RF products. I will expect the rumored RF 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 to be better or lighter than their EF counterparts. That would fit with the narrative that the new mount eliminates some design constraints. RF is the successor to EF, but the transition need not be abrupt. Reports have indicated that adapted EF lenses work like native glass on RF and that is important because the EF lens ecosystem is so large. My interest in the RF system has been piqued by the 50 and 28-70 lenses, but I'd definitely consider switching once a RF body is better than my 5DIV and once the 16-35/24-70/70-200 RF trio is available. For now, EF/EF-S remains the low priced options. Expect iterations on kit type/entry lenses and on superteles where tracking accuracy and servo performance are more important.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Myself, I think that the R mount will eventually become the main mount, and that it will take at least 10 years to do so.... In the meantime, the EF mount remains, and I doubt that it will disappear in the next 20 years.....

<EDIT> I should also add that I have no problem buying EF lenses..... </EDIT>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Being limited now to buying quality gear from just two or three online sources, it's easy to forget how many EF/EF-S mounts there are in the world, and how many stores are still selling them. Walmart, Target, Kohls, Costco... And in nearly every country. EF/EF-S mount bodies and lenses are pretty much a commodity. Maybe it is a stretch to say five years! :unsure:

Still, enthusiasts and pros are at least approaching a crossroads. A few years ago, it was just a matter of saving enough money and/or justifying a need for, say, a Big White. Now there's another factor. Buy the current version or wait (and save longer!) for the RF version?

Upvote 0