5 axis IBIS coming to next Canon EOS R series camera [CR2]

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I haven't heard such a comment either, but people don't generally talk to me about such things. ;) However, https://www.fujirumors.com/now-pana...is-looking-forward-fujifilm-x-h1-ibis-anyway/

There are plenty of complaints out there from people with IBIS and people with IS who have had problems. I have personally not had a problem and have not had anyone tell me about a problem they have had either way... but my personal experience would only be anecdotal anyway.
I this case, they are talking about a camera meant for shooting video, where stabilization is also done by pixel shifting the image..... which (for video) is much better than IBIS

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Right, the fujirumors link refers specifically to 'high-end video' with rigs, dollies and cranes, not hand-held video. Plus, what was the number one complaint once the GH5S was actually in the field? It didn't have IBIS! Panasonic took a gamble since a) they already had several ILIS lenses, b) their target market was 'high-end video', and c) with a physically larger sensor they needed room so they could used the same body as GH5. Their target market was o.k. with the decision to leave IBIS out, but the rest of the photo world and many forum dwellers punished them severely.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Right, the fujirumors link refers specifically to 'high-end video' with rigs, dollies and cranes, not hand-held video. Plus, what was the number one complaint once the GH5S was actually in the field? It didn't have IBIS! Panasonic took a gamble since a) they already had several ILIS lenses, b) their target market was 'high-end video', and c) with a physically larger sensor they needed room so they could used the same body as GH5. Their target market was o.k. with the decision to leave IBIS out, but the rest of the photo world and many forum dwellers punished them severely.
I think this is a huge problem for the industry.... How do you mass market a camera designed for a specific audience, when the majority of users will not understand the decisions that have been made, as regardless of how good the product is, it will be roasted on the net?

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I think this is a huge problem for the industry.... How do you mass market a camera designed for a specific audience, when the majority of users will not understand the decisions that have been made, as regardless of how good the product is, it will be roasted on the net?

IMO this has been a growing issue for Canon over a few years now. They have eschewed chasing 'spec sheet marketing' and preferred to deliver things based on feedback from pros as to what will make the photographic experience easier or better, and when that has gone against the drift of the market place they have done little to explain why they did what they did even where the reasons were sound. Maybe all that is changing?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I this case, they are talking about a camera meant for shooting video, where stabilization is also done by pixel shifting the image..... which (for video) is much better than IBIS
True. But there are many here that have said they must have IBIS for their video shooting... or else. ;)

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
You don’t, you market to that specific audience.

To expand on that, you mass-market a consumer version of the product to fund R&D and development of the professional models.

That sometimes means you have to put stuff in the consumer model that makes it more marketable (spec sheet marketing) so that you can sell enough of the consumer model. Sounds like Panasonic may put IBIS in their consumer models but leave it out in the professional models.

Upvote 0
IBIS can be useful for stills and it’s probably not gonna hurt you if you leave it on. But your choice, I know in some occasions it doesn’t work as good as it should but since Canon’s low light is very bad compared to competitors, at least I can use IBIS to compensate
I recently had a client on a 1-2-1 workshop that shot sony a7riii that we just couldn't get to take a blur free long exposure on a tripod... until we turned off the IBIS. the sony was ok but having loaded them into Lightroom later for processing the colours are very strange

Upvote 0

The GH5S didn't have IBIS because the GH5 did. There were some instances where the IBIS was a flop for video purposes when shooting from a helicopter or having it mounted to a car. We had some nasty issues with it when shooting from a helicopter, even with IBIS off. Luckily, we had a GH4 with us and were able to salvage the shoot. The GH5 is the better run to gun camera, the GH5S works well for those who are rigging up the camera with external recorders, field monitors and using a big gimbal.

Given that the GH5S was aimed at the film industry, it wasn't a massive hit because the new Blackmagic camera with the same exact sensor at just over a half the cost of the GH5S. The Blackmagic also has better codecs, including RAW and the new incredible Blackmagic Raw. The Blackmagic has some incredible features that the GH5S is missing.

Upvote 0