Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hey Alan, while I think I get your point and basically agree, we all know that every individual will have their own specific reasons for being here in the bird thread as well as in other threads that are more gear oriented. I think I can speak for at least a few regulars that in this thread we shed a little of our gear focus and place the bird at the forefront, but obviously CR wouldn't exist if it were not for the technology. We also seem to be able to have one of the friendliest atmospheres of the whole forum.

Speaking strictly for myself, I have consciously determined that I would not post photos or speak up if I were not willing to take criticism and I have on occasion expressed that we should all thicken our skins and allow for such exchanges without getting hackles up. It's the critical appraisal that benefits us the most if we're willing to allow it.

When you and I both shot 300's I started watching your posts with keen interest and have appreciated your feedback on gear immensely (I showed up as a complete dodo with so much to learn) and then lo and behold we were both buying the 400 DO, but different cameras. There are many times, aside from video, that I've thought I should have bought the 5D4 but at this point I'll either buy nothing, a 5DSR as you've suggested (cheap) or maybe move into the R.

And then I think, here I sit in the dead of winter shooting next to nothing; I must be nuts thinking about another camera!:(:):cry:

FWIW I'd like to suggest to bird thread posters that we include a little more information to add context to the photos like Alan does.

I'd also like to express thanks to all those who contribute their knowledge/expertise specific to bird ID etc.!!

Jack

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I sit in both camps. I love to see some of the fantastic images of birds of the world, but I am also interested in the gear that took them and the techniques used to do so. While it is great to see a perfect picture taken with the finest of gear, it is also great to see what can be done with lesser gear and different techniques.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I sit in both camps. I love to see some of the fantastic images of birds of the world, but I am also interested in the gear that took them and the techniques used to do so. While it is great to see a perfect picture taken with the finest of gear, it is also great to see what can be done with lesser gear and different techniques.

And I'll chime in and ask posters to add more textual information on both gear and technique and situation. About the data, I believe you have to download the image to see that. I am interested but don't typically bother.

Jack

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Lalumière.
If you want to add the exif info, you can click edit and type it in to the text. If the exif has not been stripped from the shot (Alan’s shots still have it) you can go through a few steps to see it, on my iPad I click the picture which opens it in the viewer then click the box with the arrow pointing out, this opens a new page, then copy the link and paste it in Jeffrey’s Image Metadata Viewer, if the exif is intact you will see the details of the shot, equipment, settings etc.
Unfortunately many must have their export set to strip the exif, including yours? :oops::LOL::LOL: I thought the CR site might have been stripping the exif but Alan’s is definitely there.
Some of the pictures are hosted on Flickr, like Olaf’s and again if the exif is not stripped on upload the exif is all there.

If you want help from Craig (CR Guy) you probably need to ask on the Suggestions / Issues thread, I think this is a thread he regularly monitors, too many threads for him to monitor all of them all the time and I think this one needs watching the least! ;)

Cheers, Graham.

Hi,
Is there a way to add or see EXIF data to photos already published on your site?
THANK YOU !

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That's precisely my attitude as well. The goals are to take some great photos and others for the record and identification, the means are to learn about suitable cameras, lenses and techniques. CR is an unusual forum because we can both post photos and chew the cud about gear. I have learned a lot here.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
American Goldfinch in Texas. A common bird in the winter here. Unfortunately, they are not here when they have their beautiful summer plumage.
I just got this lens today! I already love it.. 5D iv, 100-400L ii, 1.4x iii; ISO 2000, F 10, 1/160; 560 mm (all I got!)

Lovely. Nicely done, Mike.

Upvote 0
View attachment 182590American Goldfinch in Texas. A common bird in the winter here. Unfortunately, they are not here when they have their beautiful summer plumage.
I just got this lens today! I already love it.. 5D iv, 100-400L ii, 1.4x iii; ISO 2000, F 10, 1/160; 560 mm (all I got!)
Very good picture, and at ISO 2000 with no noise! My 7DII need to be replace. The 100-400L II lens also is very sharp.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hi Lalumière.
If you want to add the exif info, you can click edit and type it in to the text. If the exif has not been stripped from the shot (Alan’s shots still have it) you can go through a few steps to see it, on my iPad I click the picture which opens it in the viewer then click the box with the arrow pointing out, this opens a new page, then copy the link and paste it in Jeffrey’s Image Metadata Viewer, if the exif is intact you will see the details of the shot, equipment, settings etc.
Unfortunately many must have their export set to strip the exif, including yours? :oops::LOL::LOL: I thought the CR site might have been stripping the exif but Alan’s is definitely there.
Some of the pictures are hosted on Flickr, like Olaf’s and again if the exif is not stripped on upload the exif is all there.

If you want help from Craig (CR Guy) you probably need to ask on the Suggestions / Issues thread, I think this is a thread he regularly monitors, too many threads for him to monitor all of them all the time and I think this one needs watching the least! ;)

Cheers, Graham.

Is there anything NOT included in that viewer!!;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Very good picture, and at ISO 2000 with no noise! My 7DII need to be replace. The 100-400L II lens also is very sharp.

Thanks! I did do some noise reduction in Lightroom, but I have been very pleased with the lack of noise with the 5D iv. My very-unscientific opinion is that the noise at ISO 1600 is comparable to my 6Dii at ISO 800.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I figured that but the females I've shot here didn't really match either. These are Alberta birds.

Jack

Jack: the adult males are slightly more colorful than the first bird I posted a photo of, but even the males' plumage looks5Z8A0183_1800.jpg nothing like the beautiful ones in your photos. This photo is the male in winter plumage, from a few days ago.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mike, in honesty I prefer your bird - send her/him up here in spring. ;) Lovely shot, lovely pastel colours.

It's indeed interesting (shocking) to see the variance. Ours have lots of bright yellow but somehow the overall effect is not 100% pleasing (to me).

Thanks click and others.

Jack

Upvote 0