Is the Canon EOS RP the next camera up?

But what does 'follow the monehy' actually mean? I agree with the logic that this means a lower end model first, but the higher ends models have a higher profit margin which is why nearly all announcements on MFTs are now at the $1,500 - $2,000 bracket with lenses to match (admittedly they have already built a stable of good models at the lower end) and reflect Sony's targeted markets.
Knowing how Canon is very thorough about its market research then it depends what this research tells them. If there is more expectation at the
If research shows that there is a higher level of expectation at the $3,000 level (5DSR) then surely that will be a potentially better return? Maybe expectation is lower at the $1,200- $1,500 level and given the much-lauded size benefits of mirrorless, it may also be impacted by the M series?

The high end model may or may not have a higher margin, but probably less sale volume than entry model. They have to pour A LOT of R&D money into higher end model EOS R Pro (IBIS, better processor for high FPS and eyeAF tracking, better weather sealing, 4K, heat management, etc) where as it's much cheaper to make a lower tier EOS R (cutting cost).

Lower entry model doesn't require much R&D and may have higher margin. They also move alot of volume vs higher end model. I'm speculating that's where the money is. That probably make the most business sense but not for hard core enthusiasts or professionals.

I think it's time for me to consider switching camp, and revisit Canon in 2-3 years if they have a viable professional product. The rumor Panasonic S1 for $2000 has pique my interest.
I doubt Canon will ever provide something like this for this price. I have already converted a lot of my EF L lens to Sigma Art lens so the L lens appeal isn't enough to draw me to stay with Canon as it once was when Canon and Nikon were the only two players in the game.

If you think about it, it's pretty much a loss leader like the Sony A7III just so Panasonic can get a share of the market. With Panasonic and Sigma making lens, I'm confident they will be able to provide quality and affordable lens. I hope Tamron join the L-mount Alliance too.

Panasonic S1
24MP
L-mount
4k60p
Dual IS (in body stabilization and in lens stabilization)
Contrast AF (DFD technology)
Industry highest resolution EVF (Rumor: Could be 5.6 milion dot)
Deep learning AI
1 XQD and 1 SD slot
3-axis tiltable LCD
100% weather sealing
High Resolution mode (eight consecutive images are captured while shifting the sensor)
HLG Photo
Ships in March
Rumor: Price around $2,000
L-rumors.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Lower entry model doesn't require much R&D and may have higher margin. They also move alot of volume vs higher end model. I'm speculating that's where the money is. That probably make the most business sense but not for hard core enthusiasts or professionals.
It also pulls people into your ecosystem. Even if the margin on the camera is low, the margin on lenses, batteries, adapters, etc is much higher. And once people pick a side, they'll tend to stay there. It's why Sigma has been so smart...make all your lenses adaptable and people will buy into Sigma lenses and care less about what body they ultimately have.

I think it's time for me to consider switching camp, and revisit Canon in 2-3 years if they have a viable professional product. The rumor Panasonic S1 for $2000 has pique my interest.
And Im with you on this. Hoping the S1 delivers, and the Sony A7 series has evolved nicely too. After the 6dII flopped, and with no solid rumors of a 90D coming, I dont see my pathway forward with Canon as someone who needs solid video for professional work and a versatile photo camera for my personal work. My 80D/GH4 combo needs an update...and for travel it'd be nice if it was 80D/90D/6D sharing batteries in some form. But right now it's looking far more like I'm moving all Sony or all Panasonic within the year.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DVaNu

CR Pro
Jan 23, 2019
If true, this means the EOS R, with an obsolete sensor, will be follow up with an even less capable camera with another recycled sensor. Why produce such great new lenses and then release cameras like these? Canon must have something much more exciting in development.
I"m certain that there is something much more exciting in development and I totally agree that it doesn't make any sense to release the RF letnses if it were not for some higher-end camera model planned along the line. Personally I don't really see the point in releasing a lower specs R camera but let's say for now that the whole "follow the money"-aspect makes sense from a business point of view. Maybe we're all getting it wrong and all future planned R models, shouldn't be approached form a budget point of view but more towards functionality and "purpose" of the cameras. One more for action and sports, another one more for portrait and studio photography, and yet another one more for something else.....but that's just a wild speculation. We'll find out soon enough I suppose :)

Upvote 0
It also pulls people into your ecosystem. Even if the margin on the camera is low, the margin on lenses, batteries, adapters, etc is much higher. And once people pick a side, they'll tend to stay there. It's why Sigma has been so smart...make all your lenses adaptable and people will buy into Sigma lenses and care less about what body they ultimately have.

And Im with you on this. Hoping the S1 delivers, and the Sony A7 series has evolved nicely too. After the 6dII flopped, and with no solid rumors of a 90D coming, I dont see my pathway forward with Canon as someone who needs solid video for professional work and a versatile photo camera for my personal work. My 80D/GH4 combo needs an update...and for travel it'd be nice if it was 80D/90D/6D sharing batteries in some form. But right now it's looking far more like I'm moving all Sony or all Panasonic within the year.

I would say I'm a die hard Canon user. I hold out for Canon 6D II, 5D IV, and EOS R, but they all disappoint me. I expect EOS R Pro to be similar expectation. Good enough but nothing that will wow me and will expensive relative to the competition.

I bought 5D IV and EOS R. I return EOS R. It's a fine camera, but still disappointing to me just like 6D II, 5D IV.

I knew 2019 will be exciting year for mirrorless with Panasonic/Leica/Sigma vs Sony vs Canon vs Nikon. It seems like my hunch is correct. If the rumor price of Panasonic S1 is $2000, I will be able to get 10% off through EDU channel and get it for $1800. It's a no brainer vs constantly waiting for Canon to get release a FF mirorless with professional features even I have the money to pay for it. I bought Sigma EF lens knowing I will ultimately be able to use on Sony, Canon or Panasonic camera. Sigma 105 1.4 Art work great on Sony system and EOS R.

Regarding the batteries: Third party batteries like Wasabi is good enough for my needs. That's what I used for EOS R and Canon 5D IV. Panasonic S1 will allow USB charging so I just need to buy a couple.

The only thing I'm not a fan Panasonic S1 is the QXD. It's expensive since I prefer using dual 256GB memory card. I have 6 256GB SD card, 10 128GB. I shoot weddings/portraits

If you shoot video, wouldn't the video centric Panasonic be your choice too? 4K 60P and probably 10 bit external/internal. I'm sure they will offer 120 1080p too and maybe raw option.

Sony A7SIII must blow Pansonic out the water for me to consider it with price and feature to make me deal with its ergonomic issue. 16 bit sensor and 5.6 million dot EVF would do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
My guess: they will release a cheap EOS R around may at around 1500$. Its hard to imagine what they could do to make the EOS R even worse, but my guess will be: lower resolution, even slower, less AF features and 4k features will be absolutely not better. Maybe remove the top display and the touch bar to have some weird disadvantegs over the EOS R. Maybe add 3 colors (red and white) to the body to give it an even more consumer feel.

At the end of 2019 they may come around with 4 additional lenses and finaly a professional EOS R. If we are lucky they will include a 30mp+ sensor, dual cards and a 4k mode with "only" 1,3x crop factor and still a crippled codec and no ibis. By this time Sony may have released their a7r iv with 4k raw or even 6k and 50mp or something....

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Where is the 1D X equivalent? Pros are never going to give up the 1D X bodies for the R body unless and until there is a pro body in the lineup. Canon might be doomed indeed.
Pfttt. Who says pros are in a rush for it right now? What is doomed are the "Canon is doomed" comments.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
If you have been paying attention, the lower than current R body to come next has been widely known as to be the next release. Y'all are acting like the next R body will have a T2i sensor. I'm not sure but getting on a forum and spewing how Canon is Doomed (what's the acronym again?) while they continue to $$$$$ year after year seems to be a mental masturbation conundrum for you.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If you have been paying attention, the lower than current R body to come next has been widely known as to be the next release. Y'all are acting like the next R body will have a T2i sensor. I'm not sure but getting on a forum and spewing how Canon is Doomed (what's the acronym again?) while they continue to $$$$$ year after year seems to be a mental masturbation conundrum for you.
Amazing, isn't it? They come out of the woodwork every time. I especially enjoy the ones who say things like, "Canon quickly threw this together to answer xyz company" as though they got up last week, saw XYZ company's upcoming release spec sheet, and said, "Oh crap! Get Billy Bob over there in the corner to throw something together for next month. They've got air between their ears. Can't say what I really think. I'd get banned. My suspicions are that these folks won't ever purchase what they say they wish for when it is released anyway. Why? Because, according to them, XYZ company is already selling what they say they want and they aren't buying it either.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Amazing, isn't it? They come out of the woodwork every time. I especially enjoy the ones who say things like, "Canon quickly threw this together to answer xyz company" as though they got up last week, saw XYZ company's upcoming release spec sheet, and said, "Oh crap! Get Billy Bob over there in the corner to throw something together for next month. They've got air between their ears. Can't say what I really think. I'd get banned. My suspicions are that these folks won't ever purchase what they say they wish for when it is released anyway. Why? Because, according to them, XYZ company is already selling what they say they want and they aren't buying it either.
I don't expect everyone to have experience in tech production and to understand production timelines but still, these things are not knee jerk reactions and if I had a nickel for every time someone said how Canon should react to a release by Nikon or Sony.....

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
to me the more interesting question is what this says about native RF lens development and release. If this is going to be a more consumer (ie sub-EOS R) release, then there will have to be more affordable non-L lenses released at the same time. Certainly 1 or 2 kit zooms (because there may be kits with 2 lenses), but also some more non-L primes. Probably an affordable 50mm, and also a wide angle. I'm personally hoping for a f2.8 100mm (or similar) macro - which is one lens an upgrading 'enthusiast' buyer would look for on heading up to a cheaper FF for the first time. There were patents unearthed recently for what looked like non-L RF lenses, so maybe there is a pattern emerging?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0