Is the Canon EOS RP the next camera up?

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
to me the more interesting question is what this says about native RF lens development and release. If this is going to be a more consumer (ie sub-EOS R) release, then there will have to be more affordable non-L lenses released at the same time. Certainly 1 or 2 kit zooms (because there may be kits with 2 lenses), but also some more non-L primes. Probably an affordable 50mm, and also a wide angle. I'm personally hoping for a f2.8 100mm (or similar) macro - which is one lens an upgrading 'enthusiast' buyer would look for on heading up to a cheaper FF for the first time. There were patents unearthed recently for what looked like non-L RF lenses, so maybe there is a pattern emerging?

An affordable 50? Yes, buy all means, let's bring Mr Sanford into this conversation.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
I have to stick up for Canon and R. I FREEKING LOVE IT!!! Been shooting for over 15 years. All Canon. Currently shoot with 2 - 1DX markII's, 1 5DmarkIV, and 1 R. MY ALL TIME FAVORITE RUN AND GUN SET UP is having a 1DX markII + 16-35MM LIII on a Ronin S, and then the R strapped on my Holdfast money maker with a 24-105mmLII. Handheld with the R in unbelievable! The image stabilization and autofocus is SUPERB! I don't mind the crop at all! The 4K footage is gorgeous. The sensor is INCREDIBLE reliable with auto whitebalance and just color in general! I've fallen in love with using the LCD screen to move the focus point, so much that I don't miss the joystick at all on that camera. If the RP is a downgrade from the R, I won't be purchasing. But the second Canon releases a full frame mirrorless with 120fps video I will probably let go of my 1DX's. This video was shot with a go pro 7 on a gorilla pod and the R handheld.
Are you from NM or CO?

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Canon needs 10+ FPS with close to perfect AF and at least double the current EOS-R battery life before can even think about an 1DX-like mirrorless.
At the moment they can't even manage 8 FPS with autofocus. And sport photographers are not going to mess with adapters when they have 1DX and native lenses. So i would say a sports camera is at least 2-3 years away.
The sports camera will happen in a year or maybe 15 months , in time for the Tokyo Olympics.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Would it be possible that the new Camera although being less expensive might have some more advanced features or controls (and not a revamped 6D II sensor please)? 2000usd would be okay as well
The R might have been the “I absolutely want Mirrorless Canon” choice, while this could be a more well thought out product?
I hope so at least ahah
The R is very well thought out, not every camera is designed exactly for you.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
If true, this means the EOS R, with an obsolete sensor, will be follow up with an even less capable camera with another recycled sensor. Why produce such great new lenses and then release cameras like these? Canon must have something much more exciting in development.
The 5DIV sensor, obsolete, ha your sense of humor or your trolling is obsolete. Maybe you just d know what words mean.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Anyone want to make a price pool for the RP? I know $1,499 is the current group think price, but I’m guessing it will be $1799. Within a month of first ship, there will be a rebate on it for $100 off. Within 3 months of first ship, CPW street price with warranty will be $1,499.

Canon plays pricing games and within a year the msrp is just a fantasy. Just look at the 6D (current msrp is $1,699) and 6D2 (current msrp is $1,799). Both numbers are irrelevant at this point, even the Canon store is actually selling the 6D2 at $1,299. Anyway, my point is that Canon knows $1,499 is the price this camera is going to actually sell at shortly after launch, so they are going to charge $1,799 for those who want it nearly on day one before the pricing games begin.
They need more of a gap to the R which will also drop in price. I say 1499 at launch with holiday deals in November/December at 1299, maybe even 1199 for the best price of the year/ Black Friday deal.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If and when Canon releases a budget FF ILC R with a sensor at least as good as my 5D mark III (That's a given for sure. That's a 7 year old sensor), and it has shutter speed, iso, and aperture adjustments (Also a given), then I am probably a buyer. That's really all I need to take good photos. To be honest, those are the only controls (besides focus points) that I use anyway (manual shooter). Any other feature is just gravy, for me. The only thing stopping me getting a $999 6D is the focus points. And no, I would not have any qualms about eventually buying high end RF lenses to mount on it. I mostly shoot fashion and almost always single shot.

Yup, I could wait around for the high end R, but I don't "need" all that it would provide. :)

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
hmm you dont have much trust to biggest camera maker of these days. :p
i think entry camera got big enough sensor to make k8 videos .
It will be game changer like d300.
There will be enhance battery grip what gives extra prosessor power and battery to shoot sport speed and uncropped k8.
EG-E1 later E is always on canon accessories what are related to electric so enhance grip is logical explanation

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Hummm...sports camera?

Maybe a camera for sport use, ie highly water resistant with greatly reduced controls.

P = Protected

Protected
sPort
suPurb
stuPendous
I’m more inclined to believe P doesn’t stand for a word related to the camera, if there is one, but rather an arbitrary letter they think sounds good.

Upvote 0
Less specs than the R, r they having a laugh! It’s probably designed to sell in the 3rd world. They should name it RIP (rest in peace) instead of RP.

Hard to see how they could make the EOS R more down market: 1fps, 10EV DR, 2.36MP EVF, 921K rear LCD, single UHS-1 slot, no eye AF, only 1080p@30fps video. Drop the price of the EOS R to where it should be, $1600 and you already have the entry-level mirrorless. Surely they can't rehash that crap 6DII sensor.

Upvote 0
Hard to see how they could make the EOS R more down market: 1fps, 10EV DR, 2.36MP EVF, 921K rear LCD, single UHS-1 slot, no eye AF, only 1080p@30fps video. Drop the price of the EOS R to where it should be, $1600 and you already have the entry-level mirrorless. Surely they can't rehash that crap 6DII sensor.

Just think about M5 to M50 downgrading. Official prices are roughly a factor 2 after start. The funny thing is, that the M50 just outspecs the M5 in some areas while having a plastic body shell and less direct controls.

If we think about the EOS R as equivalent of the M5 and the EOS RP as equivalent to M50 the 1500$ list price at the beginning is reasonable without crippling its "inner values" to much.

About direct controls: I do not see myself using RF lenses from the start. I will use my EF glass with the control ring adapter (f-stop e.g.). And I will reuse some FD lenses e.g. the 4.0 17mm, 1.4 50mm and 2.5 135mm.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hey, you know P could really mean professional. It could well be a development announcement - although I hate the name and as a wedding tog 'P for professional' isn't the kind of cheesy comment I wish to be reminded of.

I actually disagree there's going to be a lower entry point body at this stage, there can't be with such a small number of lenses available. Who's going to buy it? Soccer moms with two kit lenses? The current R model is pro enough to act as a test bed for semi pro's and pro's alike who already have a good few lenses.

Trying to smash the budget market seems silly. But that's just my 2c's, happy to be wrong.

We should see a pro body this year, even if it's something like a high mp R replacement rather than a 5D+ level camera. I really can't see Canon holding off for 12 months.

Upvote 0

Nov 9, 2013
I was pretty in love with the mirrorless System of canon and the lenses look incredible. I was hoping for a replacement for my 1dx ii or 5d iv, which are either very unhandy (1d) or incredible bad at 4k (5d)
When the video Features of the eos r where announced I was very disapointed - in my opinion video is where mirrorless realy plays out it advantages - and they just released a 1,8 (! Thats nearly mft, imagine that!) crop camera - what the hell?
Then thr missing second card slot - which makes the camera not a suitable option for any professional work in my opinion. May be nice for your nephews birthday party, but certainly not for paid commercial, wedding or video work.
Then I thought, maybe its nice for travel pr something and I tried it at photokina. It was an incredible disaster. The touchbar is the most idiotic Feature I ever saw on a camera. The new main dial is difficult to reach. And the biggest disapointment was the eye af - at first I thought it was turned off - but no, it is just so incredible bad...... Especialy after testing the sony a7r iii

And then there are the dickheads and fanboys like you, thinking you can teach me some stuff like I didnt even tried the camera.
So, you used it a couple of minutes at a tradeshow and knew it was crap.
Yet you own an “unhandy” 1DX II and a “incredible bad” 4k 5D. Didn’t try those before you bought them?
The 5D must be the mark IV with the same 4K video crop, so why did you buy that?

I don’t have the illusion I can teach you stuff though, without some form of common sense the learning curve would be too steep.

Upvote 0