UK pricing and ship date for the Canon EOS RP [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Below is a bit more information about the upcoming Canon EOS RP.

Canon EOS RP global shipping date: February 27, 2019
EOS RP Body & Lens Adapter: £1399.00
EOS RP & RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM: £2329.00

For a quick comparison, the official MSRP of the Canon EOS R in the UK is £2,349.00 and $2299 USD. We’ve heard USD pricing between $1299 (Yes please!) and $1599 for the Canon EOS RP.
We’re still waiting on the confirmation of pricing in USD.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2013
I hadn’t really paid attention to the R due to its price, but after reading through the other comment thread on the RP I went and looked though the EVF of the R vs other Canon EVFs. I really hope the RP goes with the R EVF, or very similar, as it was night and day between them. Not sure I could use an EVF like the M50 long term.

Anyways, I stand by my vote for a $1299 price tag.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This may be ca. 1600€. The Sony Alpha 7 II is about 1250€.

So the pricing is by far not aggressive.
Sony Alpha 7 II released in December 2014. Initial release price in December 2014 was $1,700 USD. :rolleyes: Apples and oranges. The Canon will be missing the hand warmer for the video guys.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
6d2 MSRP (UK): 1599 = $2,050 USD
6d2 MSRP (US): $1,799 (about 12.3% less)

RP MSRP (UK): 1399 = $1,800 USD
less 12.3% = $1,580

6d2 sale price (UK): 1500 = $1,930 USD
6d2 sale price (US): $1,499 (about 22.3% less)

less 22.3% = $1,399

R+adapter MSRP (UK): 2350 = $3,022 USD
R+adapter MSRP (US): $2,398 (about 20.6% less)

less 20.6% = $1,430

Upvote 0

AlP

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2018
I hadn’t really paid attention to the R due to its price, but after reading through the other comment thread on the RP I went and looked though the EVF of the R vs other Canon EVFs. I really hope the RP goes with the R EVF, or very similar, as it was night and day between them. Not sure I could use an EVF like the M50 long term.

Anyways, I stand by my vote for a $1299 price tag.

The R EVF would be great, but I would be surprised to see that at a significantly lower price point. Some data circulating last week mentioned the same EVF resolution as the M5/M50 and same rear LCD screen resolution as the M6/M50. That information might be incorrect of course. But add a potential 6d2 sensor and Canon might have "recycled" as much as they could for this model. That means lower cost of good for externally purchased components like LCDs and EVFs now used across three camera models (and the M50 is selling very well meaning already quite large numbers), and likely sufficient margin to lower the price of the RP significantly later on. Not good for the competition.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
With this lower than expected pricetag (I think it will be almost the same in USD, the British one includes the adapter for £2349), 1080p video makes sense, it is still going to sell very well.
1080 video would be pretty embarassing. Maybe worse than recycling the 6dII sensor. There's really no excuse to not have cropped 4k at this point. More likely, it'll match the other elements of the M50 (something like a 2x crop, no DPAF).

Its just not exciting to see a camera be so potentially compromised on launch.
But add a potential 6d2 sensor and Canon might have "recycled" as much as they could for this model.
It really does feel that way...recycle as much as possible to lower the price and see if the customer base really cares about specs or not.

That said, Canon dropping it at $1299 would be exciting because it would force Sony to drop the a7III price...in a way that $1599 for a recycled 6dII might not.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
1080 video would be pretty embarassing. Maybe worse than recycling the 6dII sensor. There's really no excuse to not have cropped 4k at this point. More likely, it'll match the other elements of the M50 (something like a 2x crop, no DPAF).

I don't think the target market cares at all (or if they really do, they probably need to work a bit harder and get the EOS R).

The MSRP is lower than the 6D Mark II, so as a model that is positioned lower down, it would be a big surprise to have any improvement in terms of video features.
Canon is not being known to introduce surprises, even if most comments seem to expect a lot of it (I guess a Sony camera may be closer to their hearts, since that is what they always seem to be pitching, even though these rival companies work fundamentally differently)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

It really does feel that way...recycle as much as possible to lower the price and see if the customer base really cares about specs or not.

That said, Canon dropping it at $1299 would be exciting because it would force Sony to drop the a7III price...in a way that $1599 for a recycled 6dII might not.

The race to the bottom. I'm assuming this move is to try and beat Nikon to the punch with the Z5 rumor(more than likely a Z6 without IBIS).

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
The MSRP is lower than the 6D Mark II, so as a model that is positioned lower down, it would be a big surprise to have any improvement in terms of video features.
I get the theory, but the 6dII is almost 2 years old and it was embarrassing when it didnt have 4k then. And its rapid descent in price tells a story about how those limited features effect sales.

I think you can only make so many compromises (less battery life, weaker EVF, no 4k, fewer AF points, etc) before the reviews make an impact on sales. 4k feels like the easiest feature to include (since its already implemented in the R and M50) and the most glaring without.

And if anything, I have to imagine Canon wants someone to buy into the RP over a 6DII, since they'd be buying newer/more expensive RF lenses to supplement it.

Upvote 0