The Canon EOS RP shipments begin on Wednesday

Feb 6, 2019
I'll have to wait until the R is better than the 5D4 for servo AF. There are no customized AF cases to choose from, the servo AF doesn't track as well and it switches points in a fiddly way, the battery life is worse, and there is no GPS. I was taking pictures of a lego pinewood derby and I got about 350 shots with 10% battery remaining on the R. I would easily get twice the shots with the 5D4, and it was hard to keep the AF point on the cars because of the lag in the viewfinder. I also tend to use GPS while visiting national parks (avoid needing to take pictures of signs periodically for location cues) and still manage to get 700+ shots with GPS on with the 5D4.

Don't get me wrong, the R is a nice camera but the 5D4 is still more versatile. The R does win on off-center one-shot AF (especially useful for portraits), AF point coverage and the tremendous RF lenses. I'd love to switch out the f/2.8 holy trinity for the RF versions, but as long as I have the 5D4, I'll stay with the EF versions. I'm just waiting for 5D4 killer (hopefully the R pro will be it!).
Based on the trend and speculation of additional R camera, there should be one that sits above the 5D.

The EOS R line is designed to cover both FF and crop FOV, as demonstrated by the R and RP, which sits above and below 6D, respectively. Additionally, the R sits right below the 5D and the next one ppl have been speculating will likely sits above 5D and below the 1D. Meaning that it will likely have a 35MP+ FF @ 6fps and 25MP+ crop @ 10-12fps. Price? $3500 to be competitive and protect their 5D IV.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It's a throw-away FF MILC camera, like any GoPro. Sure, the primary function of the GoPro is capturing video, and the statement was a click-bait, but there are merits to the comparison. I believe the RP was designed as light-weight camera (eg no LCD Panel), subcompact body (eg offered free extension to form compact body), valuable image quality (e.g. FF, competitive res, RAW) for a subset of unique users (YT, backpacking, b-cam, back-up body, etc...). It's the lowest price FF canon ever produced, making their aim toward a "throw-away" camera.
True. Any camera priced at $1,299 is a throw away item. Canon is doomed. :rolleyes: I regularly just "throw away" gear priced around this. For the average buyer of this camera, it is anything but "throw away".

Upvote 0
Based on the trend and speculation of additional R camera, there should be one that sits above the 5D.

The EOS R line is designed to cover both FF and crop FOV, as demonstrated by the R and RP, which sits above and below 6D, respectively. Additionally, the R sits right below the 5D and the next one ppl have been speculating will likely sits above 5D and below the 1D. Meaning that it will likely have a 35MP+ FF @ 6fps and 25MP+ crop @ 10-12fps. Price? $3500 to be competitive and protect their 5D IV.

Wasn't the rumor that the pro would be a replacement for the 5DS? Last year, there were rumors of the 5DS replacement (CR2), and I thought there was another rumor than at least 1 DSLR body was killed off at the end of last year. If it is the 5DS successor, then I can see the R pro being the 5DS/R successor. Then I'd expect it to surpass the specs of the 5DS, which would include an increase in resolution (>50MP), and a higher frame rate (5FPS, but I'd like to see it at 8 or higher).

However, the January 2019 interview of Canon execs by the Imaging Resource, the question of pro-level camera was asked:

Particularly interesting is Mizoguchi-san's mention of a coming pro-level model. In the back-and-forth, I asked him specifically if "pro-level" meant AF performance at the level of a 1D X Mark II, and he replied that that is what they mean by "pro-level": no-excuses levels of performance.

If this is true, will the pro level camera be an A9 competitor instead of the A7R3? I have no idea what else would be considered "no excuses levels of performance" -- is IQ and higher MP not "pro"? Or perhaps, there's a conflation of what pro means by CR and Canon. Maybe a high resolution R camera will be first followed by a 1Dx-type R camera. Interesting times for certain. I don't know what Canon is going to do in the next year. I'd love to know, but once something better than 5D4 is introduced, by EF holy trinity and 5D4 will be on the block. Having a mix of EF and RF lenses is OK, but having a mix of both EOS and EOS R bodies and EF and RF lenses makes it less flexible. The best scenario is having EOS R bodies only with a mix of EF/RF glass.

Upvote 0
As long as an electronic viewfinder is not as good as the wonderful viewfinder on my 5D4, I will keep my 5D4 and my 5D3 and my three EF f2/8 zooms. And I still don't understand, why the mirrorless cameras should be "lighter" than a DSLR. What you save on weight by the elimination of the mirror incl. it's mechanical parts you have to add on batteries in order to get at least some endurance. Where is the progress??? Lot's of snow in the electronic viewfinder and an unbelievable high power consumption?. Does not sound professional at all. Will be interesting to see, how many years we have to wait for a true 5D4 killer ...

Upvote 0
I can hardly wait for real-world reviews from the actual owners, not spec-whiners.
Come on guys, have fun but let us know how it goes!:)
What is it you like, what you don't, how is it compared to the EOS R? Is it worth the price?
Cheers:)
Nelu
There are already reviews being posted online due to pre-sale models being loaned. The few photos I've seen and feedback are very good. Sounds like the build quality feels good too from what I read.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
cool some directors with decent budgets considered 1500-3000 throw away great.....
Throw away in the sense of not risking a far more expensive piece of equipment to destruction for a scene, and with an idea towards profit. So hardly "throw away".

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Back in 2008/2009, 5D mark II and 7D were used on feature films and a lot of indi films. Many directors considered them throw-away cameras. "throw-away" cameras means they are phenomenal cameras use for specific tasks - it's what many people want!!!!

Except that in 2019, no one will use the RP on a feature film because of the ridiculous crop factor and the fact that it doesn’t shoot 24p in 1080.

The Canon 5D II and 7D were AHEAD of their time with regards to video, not behind.

I’m very interested in this new line of cameras, but— the RP is a FF version of the EOS-M50, just meant to get people into the system fast and cheap- and for many budding photographers, that will work. But not for video folks.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
It's a throw-away FF MILC camera, like any GoPro.

What? Are you actually on the same planet as the rest of us?

At the UK retail price of £1,399. At the average UK salary for someone in their 30s, £26,500, and after deducting tax and National Insurance they'd need to work for about 128 hours to buy this camera. 3.5 weeks of work just for this camera.

Canon want to maintain 'margin' on full-frame. They're not going to provide any bargains even if they had the potential.

Meanwhile some variant of the Sony A7 is retailing for £699 at Wex.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I thought it were still available based on those many reviews / statements I have seen / read ...

Now I am really interested in real reviews and the first firmware upgrade which includes the missing video modes.

But by the way: In germany the camera is 1500 EUR with standard adapter and the EOS R is 2250 EUR with adapter. Under "german conditions" the difference isn't that vast (if you have the money) and if you plan to use the control ring adapter the relative price difference is 2450/1700 EUR which is ~40% (more for the EOS R). And looking at digital rev the EOS R is just 1950 EUR.

Upvote 0
What? Are you actually on the same planet as the rest of us?

At the UK retail price of £1,399. At the average UK salary for someone in their 30s, £26,500, and after deducting tax and National Insurance they'd need to work for about 128 hours to buy this camera. 3.5 weeks of work just for this camera.

Canon want to maintain 'margin' on full-frame. They're not going to provide any bargains even if they had the potential.

Meanwhile some variant of the Sony A7 is retailing for £699 at Wex.

Once uk supply has stabilised (ie each shop has the units it's purchased from Canon available on their shelf) then the price will drop substantially. If a shop orders 50 on release...but only gets 5...they will sell at RRP. Once they have the other 45 from back order...and every customer who wants one in the first month has one...then the price will drop dramatically...we'll see price wars and all sorts of offers.
The UK RRP pricing is designed to allow shops to discount heavily. But when there is low supply and high demand....then there aren't any discounts and everyone has to pay top £££ and wait for supply.
My advice is to wait 6 months, or wait for the first firmware release. Then get one. Sure you won't have the "I was first in my town" boasting...but you'll save yourself a ton of cash and let all the other guys trail blaze. Personally I don't buy new releases any more. When I bought my 5DII...I had to wait a month before I could use it with Adobe Lightroom.

As I said before....it's a lot of money for what is essentially a 6DmkII with the mirror box taken away. Canon are making a big thing of recycling old tech. Sure there's a lot of R&D that's gone into the Rf mount and software AF. But it's still early days...and we've had nothing new from Canon sensor wise since the 5D4.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
As I said before....it's a lot of money for what is essentially a 6DmkII with the mirror box taken away. Canon are making a big thing of recycling old tech. Sure there's a lot of R&D that's gone into the Rf mount and software AF. But it's still early days...and we've had nothing new from Canon sensor wise since the 5D4.

While it is true that one could go get a 6D Mark II, the RP much smaller, can use the RF line of lenses, and has far more focus points spread over a much larger area. The 6D Mark II will never do that. So there are big enough differences, I think. At least for me. So I think there is a big difference between the two products. Of course the sensors are the same, but the sensor is good. The focus peaking is also a big deal for me if it works well. I have a lot of manual focus lenses and poor eyesight. :) So, for me, it is much more than just a 6D Mark II sans mirror box. It is a very different animal. (The small size is a drawback for me.)

Upvote 0
CR Guy,

I ordered via Adorama using your link but got a notice saying my item is on back order for both EOS RP and the grip with only the adapter is available. I was hoping to get my hands on EOS RP at least. Your post says RP should be available for both pre-orders and beyond. Any idea? FWIW, I did my pre order last weekend (2-3 days back).

-maadfw

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
Except that in 2019, no one will use the RP on a feature film because of the ridiculous crop factor and the fact that it doesn’t shoot 24p in 1080.

The Canon 5D II and 7D were AHEAD of their time with regards to video, not behind.

I’m very interested in this new line of cameras, but— the RP is a FF version of the EOS-M50, just meant to get people into the system fast and cheap- and for many budding photographers, that will work. But not for video folks.
Yup!!

Upvote 0

Chavim

5D2, RP
Feb 11, 2019
dphacks.com
CR Guy,

I ordered via Adorama using your link but got a notice saying my item is on back order for both EOS RP and the grip with only the adapter is available. I was hoping to get my hands on EOS RP at least. Your post says RP should be available for both pre-orders and beyond. Any idea? FWIW, I did my pre order last weekend (2-3 days back).

-maadfw

Don't worry, that's normal. That's how pre-orders work, they will fulfill on a first come first serve basis starting tomorrow.

Upvote 0