Review: Canon EOS RP by DPReview

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Chris and Jordan at DPReview have completed their review of the Canon EOS RP, a camera they think has a lot of redeeming qualities.
From DPReview TV:
The EOS RP is Canon’s second full-frame mirrorless camera, built around the new RF mount, and comes with an aggressive launch price of $1300. While there are some inevitable compromises to be made at this cost, Chris and Jordan discovered that there’s a lot to like about this pint-sized full-framer.
Order the Canon EOS RP:

Canon EOS RP Body w/EG-E1 Extension Grip & Canon Mount Adapter $1299
Canon EOS RP w/EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EG-E1 Extension Grip & Canon Mount Adapter $1699...

Continue reading...

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
I think a lot of people who are current Rebel shooters might be enticed by this camera. I believe this is the camera for this crowd, and to bring/offer up something to the XXD users as well. Although I'm not sure that a 77D or 80D user would be quite swayed yet...

And the bit about the improved auto-focus "eye-tracking" should have pro's starting to salivate (may be overstated here as there's a lot of other 'stuff' that will need to improve here too) over the next EOS "R...XXX" body iteration. Which one will it be: the mirrorless version of a 90D or 7D Mk III? The amalgamation of the 5Ds-R w/5D Mk IV lines? Or the flagship 1DX R Mk 1? Exciting times

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2019
Decent review, some overdramatized critcisim at points. Somehow, this camera is becoming the biggest underdog of 2019. It's the cheapest mirrorless FF. Unreal that it gets the heat it does. It fills the space that an actual successor to Sony's A7II would have filled.

Anyways, a point that seems to be missed is that the RF lenses are what will eventually bring people to Canon mirrorless. If you want to start using RF glass, the RP isn't a bad entry point into the system. You save about $1000 versus buying the R and that gives you a decent chunk of cash to put towards another stellar RF lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
Decent review, some overdramatized critcisim at points. Somehow, this camera is becoming the biggest underdog of 2019. It's the cheapest mirrorless FF. Unreal that it gets the heat it does. It fills the space that an actual successor to Sony's A7II would have filled.

Anyways, a point that seems to be missed is that the RF lenses are what will eventually bring people to Canon mirrorless. If you want to start using RF glass, the RP isn't a bad entry point into the system. You save about $1000 versus buying the R and that gives you a decent chunk of cash to put towards another stellar RF lens.
In terms of hardware, it's a stripped down of the R body. So yeah, you're right-on about the "cheapest". e.g. the RP do not have the LCD panel (located top-right of body). If the R is Tesla Model S, then the RP is the Model 3.

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Not a terrible review, though they seem to be stuck on those "4K video" and "push shadows 5 million stops" issues.

We know what sensor is in the camera, and we know what it can and cannot do. It's going to sell well. I have one and, given some free time, will actually put to the test. I really like the size of the body and ease of operation.

And focus-stacking is really cool. Could come in handy for product shots. No more pictures of plates of food where the mashed potatoes are part of the bokeh.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
In terms of hardware, it's a stripped down of the R body. So yeah, you're right-on about the "cheapest". e.g. the RP do not have the LCD panel (located top-right of body). If the R is Tesla Model S, then the RP is the Model 3.

I'd say that the R is the '5-series' (well, 4.5 in some ways), while the RP is the xxD. Sort of...

Upvote 0
For the RP to really sell well, Canon needs a line of cheaper lenses.
I would say that a lot of people want to buy an RP, but are put off with the expensive lenses that are native to the R's.
While many on this forum are happy to pay thousands of $$$$$ for a lens, most average Joes are not going to spend a grand for a lens for a $1300 camera.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I tried the RP today with my 100-400mm II, just on static subjects. It’s a very nice little camera, and ok with a big lens. Snappy AF at 400mm, still good at 560mm and f/8 with the 1.4xTC. At f/11 with the 2xTC at 800mm, AF was leisurely but acceptable. The resolution is what you would expect for a 24mpx sensor somewhat worse than my 5DIV. The viewfinder is fine for normal subjects but a real step down from an ovf for nature photography. All in all, I liked it very much and think Canon has a real winner.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Chris in every review this man has done about a canon camera he points out only the negatives! He has proven that he is a Canon hater for very long time.

As the CR post implied, I thought he gave this camera a fair shake...his reviews concentrate on usability and features compared to what else is on the market so buyers can make informed decisions. One could say that it is Canon that has been drawing attention to the negatives by what they choose to include and exclude in their cameras ;)

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I would say that for a DPreview of a canon camera it was about as fair as I have seen. Aknowledged it's drawbacks(although still banging on about raising shadows by a factor of stupid) but also aknowledged that its price point and target audience means it is a great product. Probably should have been noted that the 24-240 will likely be a kit lens option later this yeaf or that the ef lenses work 'as native' with the adapter but still a fair review.

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
For the RP to really sell well, Canon needs a line of cheaper lenses.
I would say that a lot of people want to buy an RP, but are put off with the expensive lenses that are native to the R's.
While many on this forum are happy to pay thousands of $$$$$ for a lens, most average Joes are not going to spend a grand for a lens for a $1300 camera.
But there are loads and will be LOADS more second hand EF lenses to use.

Upvote 0
I'm waiting to see if the firmware update to the R will include the improved eye AF and the focus stacking. Then I will probably buy the R.

How do we know if this is even coming? To me it seems like it isn't coming. By the way I am currently holding on to a R body that I am considering returning because the slow-mo is just so sad. I really wanted to like this camera but how can one condone such an obviously deficient product (compared to its competitors)...

And now that Nikon released their Eye-AF, which looks pretty good from the videos available, AF isn't a reason to go Canon EOS R anymore... Nikon promised firmware and actually delivered...It should be much easier to justify the R based on the lens lineup, but it isn't because Canon made it really difficult to stick with the R...

Upvote 0
Chris in every review this man has done about a canon camera he points out only the negatives! He has proven that he is a Canon hater for very long time.

Agreed. Chris loves Fuji even though they don't have IBIS, but that is given a free pass. He shows an example of a picture of Jordan and said that IBIS would have been helpful to reduce ISO. He shot it at ISO 3200 at 1/200s. Seriously, he could have dropped the shutter speed and IBIS would not have helped him one bit for a few stops. For portraits, IS/IBIS is less important because you need the shutter speed to freeze/minimize subject motion.

At the end, Chris complains that that the camera doesn't have a market. He states that there is very little for 6D2 users to switch to the RP, but he's missing the point -- the RP is priced lower than the 6D2. Between the R and RP, the 6D line is dead. It's true that the native RF consumer glass is missing, but if Chris is right, then the RP won't sell. If it does, will Chris revise his thinking and see that the RP has unlocked value for a significant segment of the market? My guess is no. He will continue to swoon over all things Fuji/Sony.

Upvote 0