No new EOS R body shipping in 2019 [CR2]

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
My passion?? Is more like my frustration...!! :D I "started" to leave Canon when I bought a Sony A7r3. With the mc-11 adapter i can use my canon glass with "almost" no problem. So it´s not a jump in the dark, if that day comes (leaving Canon) it will be a slow process (and probably yes...will make me lose some money.) However, even buying the A7R3 (witch i do love), I always thought that this camera was somehow temporary and Canon would respond with better hybrid cameras. Sony launched the A7r3 in October 2017, and next month they will launch a new firmware update witch will give more focusing skills to the camera! Eye AF? Well, i am shooting Eye AF for one and half years now!! How about Canon shooters?? :D Probably they are getting the firmware update now! Yes, I shoot with IBIS for 1 and half year! Canon users? Nope....But let me just say this, i don´t value so much ibis, I value more IS sistem in lenses. I am shooting video with a fullframe sensor and getting a fullframe image in 4k! Canon? Yeahh....just don´t have it! Let me just say again, I often shoot in crop mode in Sony, and use a lot the 1dxmkII to film, and shooting in fullframe is not a game changer for me, but is great to have it! Ohh...what about Log? Yeaahh I have a 6000€ camera from canon that shoots great video...but with no C-log and the worst thing...with a 20 year old codec that produces huge files! :D

What is so strange to me....is that this things are evidences! I am not making this up! Canon already assumed in an interview that they didn´t respond well to the change in the market. But even with this, i got called a "troll" in this forum and "slammed" just because I am criticizing Canon!! :D Why? Because i am angry that Canon is saying for us not to expect new EOS R cameras in 2019!! And this seems to be....normal to everybody! :D
I am not happy criticizing Canon, not happy at all!!! I would LOVE that canon launch a great hybrid camera! With no drawbacks, with no restraining things!! Just giving what people that shoots video with this cameras want! (Yes, for me the problem of Canon is the video, for stills cameras continue to be excelent). So, yes! If Canon launches a great camera I will sell my Sony one and get a Canon! Yes I am a CANON FAN! And yes, I am frustrated with Canon. I understand if most of you don´t understand me...But this are my thoughts ,fair or unfair, this are my needs as a photographer/videographer that lives 100% from image!! My best regards to everybody! Even to those who called me...a troll!! :D

Your FF Sony 4K is really half FF as the camera skips every other line for the FF 4K. So it is not the FF being used, just 1/2 of it being spread all over the sensor.
Canon has decided to make the 4K match closely to their video cameras so switching from video camera to the RP there is not a major difference in look.

Perhaps some day Canon will have a FF 4K like their top of the line Cinema camera does. But most all of us could care less. I have used video on my camera 2 times in years and I believe honest people will say the same unless they are video freaks. And if they are truly serious then they will get real cinema equipment and do real work with their production team. Otherwise it is just vacation shots boring people to death like the super 8 home movies of yore.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Your FF Sony 4K is really half FF as the camera skips every other line for the FF 4K. So it is not the FF being used, just 1/2 of it being spread all over the sensor.
Canon has decided to make the 4K match closely to their video cameras so switching from video camera to the RP there is not a major difference in look.

Perhaps some day Canon will have a FF 4K like their top of the line Cinema camera does. But most all of us could care less. I have used video on my camera 2 times in years and I believe honest people will say the same unless they are video freaks. And if they are truly serious then they will get real cinema equipment and do real work with their production team. Otherwise it is just vacation shots boring people to death like the super 8 home movies of yore.
and cat videos.....

Upvote 0

Hey Architect, thanks for the answer. Well, i´m not much a tech guy but i do understand your explanation. I thought Sony uses a 5k sensor and downsample to 4k. I don´t know how much of the sensor they use, but the final image is a fullframe images, or pretty much near. They also have the crop mode, that allows you to film in crop 4k (and gives you a little more image quality). But no...EOS R don´t give you the same image quality comparing Sony crop mode and Canon (because canon crops in 1.7x we can´t really compare FF image). The only way you can get better image from eos R is to use an external recorder like Atomos ninja.
But, yes...I can see myself using a EOS R for both video and photo...errrgg....well wait... We have again 120fps at 720p. So that´s a no for video.

Like i said in previous post, i do understand that most of you don´t care about video, and just simply don´t understand people complaining about video specs. I totally understand and I do agree that in stills mode, Canon cameras are pretty much great. Sony sensors are a little bit better, but canon wins in other things. Of course, if you don´t make videos this is just sh*t talk send by some boring guys complaining! :)

However...the market did change, and today I don´t need to use a specific video camera to make videos....I can grab a mirrorless or even a DSLR and make quality videos. That´s why we talk about hybrid cameras! Cameras that can make great video and great photos! The only complain i have about Canon is that they never had invested properly in this "new market" and other brands did it. It seems they always restraining things and never put in one camera important things. One example...Why the hell they didn´t put 1080p 120fps in Canon 5d mkIV? (they put 720p 120fps!! Why bother to make a camera that can record in 4k and then put that spec in 120fps? Well...I can tell you that this was the main reason i didn´t bought this camera. Sony A7r3 give me everything i needed at that time, and couldn´t find in Canon, unless in the 1dxmkII that i own in that time and still keep. Another thing...1dx mkII is a perfectly capable camera for video...but the camera don´t have zebras, focus peaking, C-log, and only output hdmi at 1080p so we can´t use an external recorder (that solves most of the lacking features), because it doesn´t allow you to record on 4k! It just seems that they on purpose put a break in everything! Sony doesn´t do that, you have all those things available. It´s better than Canon, it´s worst than Canon? Don´t know and I don´t care!! But certainly Sony is giving me what i need and that´s the most important!! So what am I doing here? Why I complain? God damn I don´t want to leave Canon!!!!!!! :D

Edit: Ohhh....by the way...Cat videos are FUN!!! :D :D

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Hey Architect, thanks for the answer. Well, i´m not much a tech guy but i do understand your explanation. I thought Sony uses a 5k sensor and downsample to 4k. I don´t know how much of the sensor they use, but the final image is a fullframe images, or pretty much near. They also have the crop mode, that allows you to film in crop 4k (and gives you a little more image quality). But no...EOS R don´t give you the same image quality comparing Sony crop mode and Canon (because canon crops in 1.7x we can´t really compare FF image). The only way you can get better image from eos R is to use an external recorder like Atomos ninja.
But, yes...I can see myself using a EOS R for both video and photo...errrgg....well wait... We have again 120fps at 720p. So that´s a no for video.

Like i said in previous post, i do understand that most of you don´t care about video, and just simply don´t understand people complaining about video specs. I totally understand and I do agree that in stills mode, Canon cameras are pretty much great. Sony sensors are a little bit better, but canon wins in other things. Of course, if you don´t make videos this is just sh*t talk send by some boring guys complaining! :)

However...the market did change, and today I don´t need to use a specific video camera to make videos....I can grab a mirrorless or even a DSLR and make quality videos. That´s why we talk about hybrid cameras! Cameras that can make great video and great photos! The only complain i have about Canon is that they never had invested properly in this "new market" and other brands did it. It seems they always restraining things and never put in one camera important things. One example...Why the hell they didn´t put 1080p 120fps in Canon 5d mkIV? (they put 720p 120fps!! Why bother to make a camera that can record in 4k and then put that spec in 120fps? Well...I can tell you that this was the main reason i didn´t bought this camera. Sony A7r3 give me everything i needed at that time, and couldn´t find in Canon, unless in the 1dxmkII that i own in that time and still keep. Another thing...1dx mkII is a perfectly capable camera for video...but the camera don´t have zebras, focus peaking, C-log, and only output hdmi at 1080p so we can´t use an external recorder (that solves most of the lacking features), because it doesn´t allow you to record on 4k! It just seems that they on purpose put a break in everything! Sony doesn´t do that, you have all those things available. It´s better than Canon, it´s worst than Canon? Don´t know and I don´t care!! But certainly Sony is giving me what i need and that´s the most important!! So what am I doing here? Why I complain? God damn I don´t want to leave Canon!!!!!!! :D

Edit: Ohhh....by the way...Cat videos are FUN!!! :D:D
Personally, I love my canon DSLRs and for stills I think that they are the best option out there, but for video I wonder why it is that my P/S camera outperforms it?

You can like something and still be critical of its flaws.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I bought two EOSR's for wedding photography and I've had a blast with them. However, it wasn't until I had a shot of the Sony a7iii at one of the weddings that I realised that it trumps the EOSR in every department. I used to hate Sony trolls, but I don't think they are trolling anymore as the a7iii is a beast.

Like someone mentioned earlier, I love my canon lenses and I'm using them on my Sony bodies. I've kept my 70 - 200mm and my 16-35mm (best wide lens by far). I'm still invested in Canon and I look forward to seeing what they come up with to compete with the a7iii.

I can't even begin to list where Sony trumps Canon in the mirrorless market. Dynamic Range, Low Light, AF, Continuous 10fps and ibis which is needed to shoot decent usable video.

Here is the biggie though on why I have changed. I was so disappointed with the low light performance of the eosr, as anything above 1600 iso is unusable and sometimes at Weddings you gotta go 3200 in low light venues.

Upvote 0
Personally, I love my canon DSLRs and for stills I think that they are the best option out there, but for video I wonder why it is that my P/S camera outperforms it?

You can like something and still be critical of its flaws.
That´s the BIG thing, thank you so much Don! That´s my point!

I love Canon, but don´t like this specific thing - Video specs. And that´s what I criticize. I Love my 1dx mkII for stills, just love it! I did tried one Sony A9 but it´s a no for me changing the 1dx mkII for the Sony A9. Despite the size and weight!

My only point is this one....Canon should be much more faster responding to this new market and they must stop restraining things in video! Ok...we are not expecting the specs of a C200 but...at least releasing some "must have" specs in video.

I´m done...a lot of posts about this "problem" that is mine...I am sorry for the longevity of the posts, just trying to talk with you guys about my "pains"....:) We shouldn´t always praise! Hearing complains makes the companies grow up and be more attention to customers! ;)

Thank you all for listening....and please...stop calling trolls to everybody that have complains about Canon products, or some specific "mistakes" of the brand! At least me...I just love a good photo/video chat!! And yes...probably I will wait for the big brother of the EOS R. (unless Sony make som magic before!! :D )

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Here is the biggie though on why I have changed. I was so disappointed with the low light performance of the eosr, as anything above 1600 iso is unusable and sometimes at Weddings you gotta go 3200 in low light venues.

what a pile of bollocks ... up to iso 4600 you are just fine. I am pushing iso 6400 with my 5D IV's all the time, EOS R sensor is almost as good in low light. 5dIV is winning by 1/10 of a stop.

Upvote 0
"what a pile of bollocks ... up to iso 4600 you are just fine. I am pushing iso 6400 with my 5D IV's all the time, EOS R sensor is almost as good in low light. 5dIV is winning by 1/10 of a stop."

You tried printing these out to a large size for clients? Would be interesting to find out how they look blown up?

"You may find the Sony better, but to call 1600 on the Canon 'unusable' is ridiculous hyperbole."

I said anything above 1600, ....meaning 1600 is usable.

I honestly think the eosr performs far worse than the 6d in terms of low light performance. At least with the 6d the noise is 'nice noise' (more of a grain). Again, this is just my personal opinion and I still love Canon and their lenses. I'm still invested in the company and I want them to shift their arse in gear a bit more. Some usable video features would be nice and for that we really need ibis.

Nothing tops the 16-35mm wide lens and it works almost perfectly on the a7iii with the metabones v adapter, and same goes for my favourite lens, ...the 2.8 IS 70 - 200mm

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
"what a pile of bollocks ... up to iso 4600 you are just fine. I am pushing iso 6400 with my 5D IV's all the time, EOS R sensor is almost as good in low light. 5dIV is winning by 1/10 of a stop."

You tried printing these out to a large size for clients? Would be interesting to find out how they look blown up?

"You may find the Sony better, but to call 1600 on the Canon 'unusable' is ridiculous hyperbole."

I honestly think the eosr performs far worse than the 6d in terms of low light performance. At least with the 6d the noise is 'nice noise' (more of a grain). Again, this is just my personal opinion and I still love Canon and their lenses. I'm still invested in the company and I want them to shift their arse in gear a bit more. Some usable video features would be nice and for that we really need ibis.

Nothing tops the 16-35mm wide lens and it works almost perfectly on the a7iii with the metabones v adapter, and same goes for my favourite lens, ...the 2.8 IS 70 - 200mm
You are just expressing your opinion about what you like from your camera in terms of ISO performance. I think its a very valid comment. Someone else might disagree but it doesn't have to be vehemently disagree. You can hold a different perspective to other people and be quite happy with the ISO at 3200 or 6400.
I find with the 5DIV sometimes I am and sometimes I'm not with photos at 6400 ISO.
Sometimes I'm posting on Facebook and its completely acceptable. Other times it might be for a client and its just not good enough (but not terrible by any means).
The 5DSR I don't like at all at 1600 ISO or above. I think I have a bad camera - noise is mushy not grainy.
I still love Canon especially the lens. Thankfully I don't shoot video - it doesn't seem to be the best choice for video. For Stills I think Canon are still excellent.
Yes I'd like a mirrorless camera that improves upon the 5D IV with dual slots (because maybe I'm irrationally scared of memory cards not working at crucial moments - I've had a few cards fall apart and a few cards that wouldn't read). It looks like I'm going to have to wait a while.
I don't think I'd move to Sony but the A7R III is a tempting camera. A friend has one and its good. I believe Canon have the capability to match or better it but are in no rush as they have plenty of RP cameras to sell.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016

I'm not going to put my head in the sand and say that Sony doesn't outperform the EOS R in many ways. However, you talk about adapting lenses, and I did not feel that Canon lenses performed all that well on a Sony A7iii.

It's a miracle that they work as well as they do, and it's certainly not awful, but I encountered way too many instances where the Canon lenses would be hunting around in low light. Once my 70-200 2.8ii would not even focus on something very high contrast outside in daylight. It just wasn't acceptable for me. I'm surprised you find the adapted Canon lenses to work well enough for weddings.

I tried both the Sigma and Metabones adapters, by the way.

Upvote 0
Seems to me like a 7d iii or 5d V release this year, with the 7d iii far more likely.
All other "high-end" dsrl models are likely going to be transitioned into mirrorles. only those two (and the 1dx iii, in 2020) are heavily autofocus dependant and thus a dslr instead of mirrorles is the better choice for canon right now.

What do you mean by "heavily autofocus dependant"? Thanks!

Upvote 0
what a pile of bollocks ... up to iso 4600 you are just fine. I am pushing iso 6400 with my 5D IV's all the time, EOS R sensor is almost as good in low light. 5dIV is winning by 1/10 of a stop.

I'm jealous of Sony capabilities in several areas, but high ISO noise levels isn't one of them. 5D4 sensor at 6400 ISO does pretty well. I wonder if you have a settings issue. If you're using highlight protection or something else that might be pushing things around by a stop or so. You might try a reset and see what you get.

Upvote 0
What do you mean by "heavily autofocus dependant"? Thanks!
canons autofocus in their MILC isnt as advanced as it has to be for sports, action or wildlifephotography.
But they probably want to transition most if not all of their DSLR camera lines into MILC.
So they are going to do that except for those cameras that are expected to perform well in the autofocus department,
like 1dx ii, 5d series, 7d series.

Thus, if they bring out a DSLR in the summer i expect it to be of a series like the 7d or 5d series, that has good continuous autofocus as
one of their main qualitys.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
canons autofocus in their MILC isnt as advanced as it has to be for sports, action or wildlifephotography.
But they probably want to transition most if not all of their DSLR camera lines into MILC.
So they are going to do that except for those cameras that are expected to perform well in the autofocus department,
like 1dx ii, 5d series, 7d series.

Thus, if they bring out a DSLR in the summer i expect it to be of a series like the 7d or 5d series, that has good continuous autofocus as
one of their main qualitys.
Due to the nature of the beast, AF on a Mirrorless camera takes a lot more processing power than on a DSLR. I expect that when we see the high end Canon Mirrorless cameras show up, that we will be seeing things like quad (octal?) digic8 processors. Once again, look at the high end Oly and Panasonic..... the defining hardware feature is the processing power! Canon will follow suit.

Upvote 0