Feature update announcements coming to the Canon EOS R and Canon Cinema EOS C200 ahead of NAB

Because everyone buys a camera with a FF sensor solely to create videos. Realistically, videography seems to be an even smaller niche than photography. But why go on here whining about it? If you really need great video, go find the best equipment you can afford for your video rig. Seriously doubt the equipment is what's holding you back though.

Video is a tiny niche? That doesn't pass the sniff test. Canon is announcing more small video cameras this year (5) than ILC camera bodies. Canon certainly doesn't agree with you based on their statements and quarterly reports. The other vendors are not in agreement with you either.

It's pretty obvious you're tired of defending their ill-conceived business practices. Honestly I don't know why you'd bother. Insulting me for pointing out the obvious isn't going to help.

I shoot about 50/50 stills/video. Back when I had more time, before I had kids, I'd grade video, had a full rig, all that stuff. I used Magic Lantern for a few years. Happily I don't depend on this stuff for income and I have the spending money to purchase what I want to use. I mention that because Canon is losing sales here - from people like me.

Before I left the Canon, I had two bodies and four red rings. I've spent the last ~4 years with kit from another vendor. In my current refresh cycle, they were ruled out out-of-hand because of video. The market is contracting, and I would submit Canon needs to be competitive on all fronts. You can call that whining if you want, but you just come off as sore and fanboi'ish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Most people who debate spec sheets but have never shot a video in their lives? Or most cinematographers? Because the professional cinematographers don't seem to care much.

A wedding photographer who wants to mix in video using the same camera would likely be the most disappointed in the crop factor due to the focal length change.

“Crop factor” does not change the focal length of a lens. It changes the field of view of the lens. I understand some people’s confusion over it, but they are different things.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
“Crop factor” does not change the focal length of a lens. It changes the field of view of the lens. I understand some people’s confusion over it, but they are different things.
I don't think there is any confusion (or at least the confusion is not as big as the one about absolute/relative aperture). And no, "crop factor" does not change the field of view of the lens. It's not the lens that is getting cropped.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Re: focal length and crop - everyone knows what I meant.

Well, the problem is, no, not everyone does know what you mean. One only has to be on the various forums for a little while to see that there are way too many people, especially those just starting out, that think that it’s actually changing the focal length of the lens and other variations of the theme. I see this constantly on the motion/video side of photography all of the time.

Upvote 0