Canon registers a 32.5mp APS-C DSLR in Taiwan

Jan 21, 2015
When will Canon learn that it's not more pixels that everyone craves, but better dynamic range and lower noise. I would love an 18-20MP crop sensor with those characteristics. Much like the universally acclaimed Nikon D500.
As technology progresses more pixels means more DR and lower noise...

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Well, if true. this could be the next standard "C" sensor for say M50II/M5II;D90. And, once the manufacturing line proves out the full frame equivalent in the R. Canon tests sensors in non critical cameras first before putting them in critical cameras (sometimes.) This also reduces their investment dollars to basically have one common sensor line.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I hear what you are saying, but let's deal with the rumor in hand versus the extrapolated speculation.

32.5 MP APS-C sensor. Give it high frame rate, I can see a lot of sport and wildlife photographers appreciating the jump from 20.2 MP to 32.5 MP for cropping and potential additional detail for larger prints.

The largest I ever printed was poster (40" by 30"), and a handful of those at that. I'm an effing amateur, lets say I needed 18MP for that. I'm impatient, so after half an hour framing on a tripod, I still cropped a couple of MP. So even on the rare occasion I go big and compensate for my lack of skill with what is, for my needs, an overkill camera, I barely scratch my 5DmkIII's resolution.

I've looked left and right, and say that covers what 999‰ of camera owners need, if not 9999‱ of them.

I don't see why the niche within the 1‰, or 1‱, who actually need >30MP (crop wildlife & print large, ads on billboards & walls five stories high, etc) would be posting so much about it on forums. My guess is they have the manufacturer's ear anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
I hear what you are saying, but let's deal with the rumor in hand versus the extrapolated speculation.

32.5 MP APS-C sensor. Give it high frame rate, I can see a lot of sport and wildlife photographers appreciating the jump from 20.2 MP to 32.5 MP for cropping and potential additional detail for larger prints.
Yep, pixels-per-bird is key. If Canon can merely equal the dynamic range of the 80D (which is 24 MP, remember, so it's not such a big leap) along with the handling and speed of the 7D2 and the AF of the 5D4, I'll be very happy.

I've never felt the need for any more resolution from the 80D which I use for macro, but for long lens work you can never have enough.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The largest I ever printed was poster (40" by 30"), and a handful of those at that. I'm an effing amateur, lets say I needed 18MP for that. I'm impatient, so after half an hour framing on a tripod, I still cropped a couple of MP. So even on the rare occasion I go big and compensate for my lack of skill with what is, for my needs, an overkill camera, I barely scratch my 5DmkIII's resolution.
Why not go higher though? With more Pixels, you can resolve more detail, as long as the lens used is of decent quality. Better than having to spend more money for a longer lens, isn't it?

The negatives that get mentioned so often with resolution are just not what they are made out for, are they?

Viewed at the same magnification (meaning the higher res model is downscaled more heavily) the noise should look basically the same between a high res and a low res sensor.

And dynamic range? Each Pixel of the 1DX II sensor has about 3 times the surface are of a pixel from the 80D sensor, right? (24/20)*(1.6^2)

According to photonstophotos the 1DX II tops out at 10.46 stops of pdr and the 80D at 10.06 stops. Sure, that is a difference. But is it huge? And does it benefit more people than those 1% who may need more resolution according to your estimate?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
When will Canon learn that it's not more pixels that everyone craves, but better dynamic range and lower noise. I would love an 18-20MP crop sensor with those characteristics. Much like the universally acclaimed Nikon D500.

I've been using the Canon APS-C 24MP sensor now for years, and haven't really "craved" more DR / lower noise.

I've looked left and right, and say that covers what 999‰ of camera owners need, if not 9999‱ of them.

I don't see why the niche within the 1‰, or 1‱, who actually need >30MP (crop wildlife & print large, ads on billboards & walls five stories high, etc) would be posting so much about it on forums. My guess is they have the manufacturer's ear anyway.

it's a matter of oversampling which decreases your "image noise" and also increases your overall image dynamic range - not to mention improves your color tonality and separation.

A lot of good things can happen when you have more pixels to play around with.

While I don't know what to think about this rumor, I had misgivings about it when CR first leaked it a month ago, and I still do now. I can't see this coming out in 2019 unless it's powered by dual DIGIC 8's which would make it seem like a 7D Mark III.

But we'll see.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I've been using an original 7d since it came out, so I'm very excited for this announcement. Depending on the boxes it ticks, I could see not having to transition to the rf mount for another couple of years. Almost bought an rp just because the tether port on my 7d is on the fritz, but I think I can wait for this.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Camera makers give buyers what they want. The fact is that more MP sells cameras, just like more HP in a car that will be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic most of its life.
tell that to sony with their a7III. A lot of people use that over the a7r3 and have bought it over the a7riii.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
... I can't see this coming out in 2019 unless it's powered by dual DIGIC 8's which would make it seem like a 7D Mark III...

Wouldn't it be a kick in the head if Canon surprised everyone and released a 7DIII in a couple of months...and then said..."Oh by the way, here is a 150-500 f5.6 L to go with it. Just in case the mirrorless thing isn't tempting enough, we have other ways of emptying your bank account. Bwahahha!!!"

Upvote 0
I know the purists hate the idea of cropping any sort of picture, but more pixels means I can zoom a bit less and figure out my final pic later as long as it focused on what I wanted. This to me is vital to me when shooting action shots. I hope it does have an enhanced focus system. I have contemplated moving sideways to a 7d2 from my 80d more than once because while it tracks well once I get my 9 point expanded focus on the target, it doesn't follow that to the other focusing points. I also would love to move my 9 point focusing square in increments of one to the sides. But in most other aspects I've been perfectly happy with my 80d.

Of course if you get 20 purists in the room, most all of them would hate any cropping, half of those would hate any setting other than manual, half of those would hate autofocus, and the last guy would be torn between complaining about using digital at all or the fact that no modern flash ever looked the same as flash cubes.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I know the purists hate the idea of cropping any sort of picture, but more pixels means I can zoom a bit less and figure out my final pic later as long as it focused on what I wanted. This to me is vital to me when shooting action shots...

The reality is that if you shoot anything that will be used on the web and in print, it's hard to avoid cropping. Virtually everything shot for websites has to be horizontal, even if the subject would be better framed as a vertical. In addition, if the website is responsive (which it had better be) you have to take into consideration that the positioning of the main subject can shift significantly depending on the device or monitor it is viewed on.

If the same image is going to be used in print, you may need to crop that horizontal into a vertical. Unless your name is Cartier-Bresson you better make sure your pictures can be cropped.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010

The example you give (18 MP in a 40x30) would be about 115 to 130 ppi (assuming 2x3 landscape aspect ratio). Without diving into the great ppi/dpi/resolution debate, I can see why you are happy hanging that on your wall. From a few feet away, I bet it looks good. But you also have to know that resolution would be unacceptable to others. Many others, many pros, and many in the publishing world where 300 ppi has been the typical minimum standard.

Then, when I shot on my 18 MP camera (7D), I often cropped for wildlife. I have long lenses, but sometimes wildlife are small or are often far away. I wasn't cropping a few MP. I would start with 18 MP and finish with 3-4 MP.

Ultimately, we are talking about the high end APS-C camera. You can debate the size of the niche for this camera, but for those in that niche, I can see them being very happy with a few more MP as long as no real sacrifices are made compared to the 80D/7DII.

Upvote 0
I agree, 18MP is enough. I'd also like to see an 18MP Full Frame mirrorless—called it an RX ;-)

Upvote 0

Advancement in resolution is not mutually exclusive with other technological developments. In fact, many times they accompany improvements in high ISO noise. Your irrational hate of megapixel increases makes it sound like they're keeping other advancements from happening and that simply hasn't been the case.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0