No crop on 4K coming in next APS-C DSLR [CR1]

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
The math doesn't work for line skipping or pixel binning with a 32.5 MP 3:2 sensor. If it has no significant crop, expect a new Digic that can do scaling along with a 30fps readout speed of at least the 16:9 portion of the sensor. Those would both be big steps forward and consistent with what a 7D3 might be expected to do. Note that Canon has both high readout speeds and scaling in the Cinema line, so they have the technology but just haven't applied it to still cameras either to protect the cinema line, or more likely because of power dissipation issues (the Cinema cameras have a cooling fan). It will be interesting to see what changes are in this camera because the M5 mark 2 will likely have many of the same changes. I am guessing we won't see the high res R until 2020, because it will take longer to migrate these changes to FF, so the Astro R sounds like an interesting stand-in as all it needs is very low dark noise (strangely like the 7D2).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
39.3MP would make much more sense: 7680 x 5120

(For some reason 39.3 would likely become 39.5 to account for whatever overhead they seem to pad into these MP calculations.)

7680 / 2 = 3840

5120 / 2 = 2560

2560 adjusted for aspect ratio compliance = 2160

They'd just call it a 40MP sensor.

The "padding", as you call it, are the necessary photosites around the edges to allow interpolation of color based on the RGB Bayer Matrix pattern (or whatever other pattern a particular sensor is using) of color filters over each photo site. If a camera's demosaicing scheme goes out 5 rows/columns in each direction, then one must have five extra rows/columns on each of the the four sides of the sensor to interpolate an R, G, and B value for each photosite that is inside the "effective MP" area.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Wouldn't the difference in the way they are used account for some of that? People shooting the 7D II would tend to use multiple shots per shutter button push than would those using the 80D, right? That would be on top of shooting in situations where you take many more pictures, as in sports.

I don't know very many, if any, 7D Mark II shooters who use a 7D Mark II alone for anything much other than sports/action/wildlife unless they're using it in a multi-body situation where a FF camera (or two) will have a lens (or lenses) covering wider angles of view and a longer lens on the crop body. Those other types of shooters you describe tend to use 70D/80D types of bodies if an APS-C body is their primary camera. If their budget is extremely limited then they're shooting Rebels of one stripe or another.

I do know one guy who puts a 70-200 on a FF 1D X (because that is the lens he uses for most of his published frames), but also carries a 7D2 + EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS as his "wide" body for photojournalism. But then again, he is a "weekend" part-time freelancer so most of his assignments are very sports/action oriented - local "fun runs" or more serious running events, bicycle races, dragon boat races, people dancing at outdoor concerts and other weekend events, etc. in addition to high school and youth league sports.

Insofar as it applies to the rumored upcoming "90D" being a suitable replacement for both the 80D and 7D Mark II, those types of shooters requiring high frame rate, high volume shooting in an APS-C body aren't going to disappear into thin air just because Canon no longer offers an APS-C body with tank-like construction and a more durable shutter than what the x0D series has offered in the past (up to and including the 80D).

Many of them might well disappear from the Canon ranks if Nikon offers an updated and improved D500 successor in the near future, though. The biggest impediment there is the high cost of Nikon's incredible AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR at near $3K. APS-C sports/action shooters are using APS-C instead of FF bodies to reduce the cost of lenses with the speed and reach they need as well as to get higher frame rates without spending what a 1D X/1D X Mark II or D4/5 body costs. The cost difference between the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS III and the AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR is probably enough to buy an extra "90D" for when the first one wears out or can't handle the punishment shooting in harsh environmental conditions.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
N.G.H.

From Canon? Not a chance in hell this will happen.

Let us all begin to count the ways this body will be inferior to the mighty d500.

Then again , there shoulnt be another body even close to its class in aspc.

but...this is Canon. It will be borked somehow.

N.G.H.?

Upvote 0
As I said above, the math doesn't work for binning, so we may finally see scaling from Canon for video in a still camera.

I wish I were as bullish. We know the sensor resolution will be 6960X4640, and 6960 is almost exactly 5/3 of DCI 4k. Maybe it's completely coincidental, but that indicates some sort of line skipping or binning scheme to me is at least on the table. Except of course that you'd be skipping 2 of every 5 lines and because of the bayer array that would be two consecutive lines, which would for sure mess with tonality and cause aliasing. Unless there's some way of binning instead...

I don't think Canon has technology to suddenly leapfrog everyone else. Their cinema cameras are enormous, big fans and big batteries, etc.

I'd be satisfied with binning, though. Just yesterday I decided not to buy a new BMPCC 4k and I'm sure the 90D won't even approach that camera for image quality, but a weather sealed (even moderately weather sealed) hybrid would make more sense for me.

Upvote 0