New feature firmware coming to the EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS-1D X Mark III in the next couple of weeks [CR3]

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
They seriously need alternative codecs for 8K as well, the data rates are absurd. Doubt we'll see many more improvements for video with the R5c incoming.

Only major update I want is more options for shooting speed with e-shutter, 20fps only is annoying, a 10-12fps option would be perfect.

I’ll admit that this is the only rumored feature I’ve heard about that I would like to have. 1080 @ 120 sounds cool but I’m not a video guy at all so it would probably stay on the ‘unused features’ list for me.

I don’t mind chipping pics but it would be nice to be able to dial in whatever you like. I’m no rocket surgeon but it seems like it would be a feasible if not simple thing to do. What, aside from desire, would stop it?

Upvote 0
I don’t think so. I’ve experienced it with the RF 24-15omm F4 L, RF 35mm F1.8 & RF 85mm F1.2 L
What kind of animal are you seeing this issue occur on? I just discovered / proved an issue with dog Eye AF in servo mode.

I’m going to collect a video recording before making a big deal tho.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
What kind of animal are you seeing this issue occur on? I just discovered / proved an issue with dog Eye AF in servo mode.

I’m going to collect a video recording before making a big deal tho.
Mostly my 4 dogs! Both portrait and action shots. I've just been trying to practice mostly in the backyard and at first thought it was just me. I even went and got glasses thinking my site was just going! As time and testing have gone on for the last few months it just seemed frustrating I was missing so many shots. As I started reading on the forums here and other sites I saw that I wasn't the only one experiencing such technical issues. Makes me feel somewhat sane again :) I am still testing, just to eliminate the possibility that it is user error and there isn't some technique that I just haven't quite mastered yet.

Upvote 0
Mostly my 4 dogs! Both portrait and action shots. I've just been trying to practice mostly in the backyard and at first thought it was just me. I even went and got glasses thinking my site was just going! As time and testing have gone on for the last few months it just seemed frustrating I was missing so many shots. As I started reading on the forums here and other sites I saw that I wasn't the only one experiencing such technical issues. Makes me feel somewhat sane again :) I am still testing, just to eliminate the possibility that it is user error and there isn't some technique that I just haven't quite mastered yet.
I can tell you right now this is the issue:

Over time, if you keep using Servo AF with Animal Eye AF on a dog, even if the indicator (blue box) stays on the dogs eye, it will over time change to focusing on the nose. I was able to make this very obvious by using a RF 50mm f/1.2 as you can more easily see the area of sharpness move forward.

I would say for me it takes about 3-5 seconds to shift. I’ll upload a video today or this weekend and share when available.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
8k 60? Do you mean 8k30?
Yes, sorry that is what I meant.
Thanks for the correction.
Would 4k/120 be considered "raw" when it is line skipped (not cropped) mode?
No.
Since 4K/120 is line skipped the data rate can't be compared with 8K at all.
There is little chance of 4K/120 RAW Lite.
Maybe that is possible for the R5c but that would make the C500 Mark II look bad.

Upvote 0
I made a post about my experience about this over on Fred Miranda.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
I can tell you right now this is the issue:

Over time, if you keep using Servo AF with Animal Eye AF on a dog, even if the indicator (blue box) stays on the dogs eye, it will over time change to focusing on the nose. I was able to make this very obvious by using a RF 50mm f/1.2 as you can more easily see the area of sharpness move forward.

I would say for me it takes about 3-5 seconds to shift. I’ll upload a video today or this weekend and share when available.
Cool. Would certainly like to watch your breakdown on the issue. If similar I may need to do the same with my 85mm F1.2L USM lens so we can compare notes.

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dude! I watched the video and that's exactly what is happening. DRIFTING! I like it, but I really don't :) I will say, in the second half of the video how close were you getting? It looks like maybe you were getting to close for the lense to focus. So possibly out of the focal distance range for that lens?
I think that explanation would make sense, except for the fact that the lens was front focusing on the nose, rather than focusing behind her eye. That would indicate the lens has the ability to focus closer than the focus box would need.

I intend to do more tests and update the thread on FM.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Actually, if Canon decides to have new compression/bitrate for videos, perhaps they could make dual card recording possible? Since it's smaller size now. Or even dual card recording for just 1080P I'd be more than happy.
I actually think that most folks here have it backward.
I am expecting less compression to avoid overheating.
There is no need to use HEVC on the CFExpress card except for 4K 120

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
1) R5 has more dynamic range than R6.
2) We only expect C-LOG 3 and not C-LOG 2.
Hi. I own a R5 but honestly I heard always the opposite. R6 has a slightly better dynamic range than the R5. What your statement is coming from? Do you have strong arguments to say that R5 is better than R6? I am intrigued.

Upvote 0