Canon registers a 32.5mp APS-C DSLR in Taiwan

Mar 26, 2014
300 ppi is considered the minimum standard in most publications, fine art, etc.

I don't doubt most publications have a 300ppi minimum standard, it's the magazines having 30"x40" posters in them that I doubt.

So, you ask how many photographers are there that should be concerned about 300 ppi?

No. I'm asking how many photographers are there that are printing their photos poster size at about 300 ppi.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That's because your view of the world is biased. When on a nature photographic trip, you're likely to see more nature photographers then there in the general population. Same with this forum. My two cousins who bought a rebel w/ 2-3 lenses and shoot occasionally don't even know this site exists. I doubt any of their photos were ever printed larger than 4x6, if at all. They still bought the photo shop seller's spiel about how they need more MP.

So you think cameras sold to "fellows lugging around telephotos" on nature photographic trips are on the order of 1 out of every 1000 sold? Good for you, but I don't buy it.
Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic etc all do high resolution and low resolution models because there is a demand for both. I am not telling you that you need a high resolution resolution but simply pointing out that there are enough of us who do. It is your biased view that your two cousins bought cameras with too many pixels.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
300 ppi is considered the minimum standard in most publications, fine art, etc. You do not need to take my word for it, it is something very easy to confirm with a few searches:

300 ppi is relevant for bitmap graphic art being sent to a printer or imagesetter with an underlying grid that's a multiple of 300. That's because line art doesn't scale well with fractional jumps. Though the scaling algorithms available today do a far better job than they did when these numbers became standards.

It has no relevance for color or B&W photographic images with modern scaling algorithms. Say you have a 200 ppi image that looks sharp and detailed enough for the subject and the target view size, and someone in the production chain insists on a 300 ppi file. You can literally just rez it up in PS and send it to them.

From testing I've found a native resolution of roughly 180 ppi to be acceptable. My preference is to be above 200 ppi with 240 ppi being excellent. There's very little to gain at 300 ppi or 360 ppi (360 being the highest true resolution for any non-primary color on a 2880x1440 dpi Epson printer when the halftone is taken into account). Again, this is speaking of photographs. Monochromatic line art and type can benefit all the way to 1200 dpi and higher.

If you're printing directly to a pro photo ink jet there is no reason to resize the image at all unless the native resolution at the target print size falls below around 150 ppi. The printer driver can scale the image to its underlying dot matrix better than PS can. But if the resolution is too low the printer will faithfully reproduce the pixels and they will start to become apparent. If you rez up you can smooth the pixel edges out.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don't doubt most publications have a 300ppi minimum standard, it's the magazines having 30"x40" posters in them that I doubt.

No. I'm asking how many photographers are there that are printing their photos poster size at about 300 ppi.
What is it about the internet that causes people to double down when they ought to just concede they were wrong and move on?

This whole argument is ignorant. If you don't need or want higher megapixels, just save to one of the formats that has less. But, don't dismiss what others need.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Why would anyone want to print a poster @ 300PPI, and more importantly - how many of such photographers are there?
OMG, I am really tired of the "Why would anyone want to print a poster @ 300PPI" crap that people espouse. You do NOT speak for me. I have a Canon iPF6400 printer and 300PPI, or 300DPI, is my Holy Grail to get the Best, not second best, from my printer. Below is a photo I stitched together from 12 shots from a lowly 5D MKII. The final file size is a 367 MP TIFF. I also included 2 100% crops. I print my photos to make ME happy, not you. If you are happy with 18 MP photos I am happy for you. If you like a low rez 24x36 print I am happy for you. But don't include me with your "anyone" statement. My personal standards when it comes to photography are obviously higher than yours. And so are a lot of others on this forum. BTW, this photo was shot from 3,000 feet away across the Detroit River so atmospheric conditions may have hurt the sharpness a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic etc all do high resolution and low resolution models because there is a demand for both.

Of course there is, I never said otherwise.

I am not telling you that you need a high resolution resolution but simply pointing out that there are enough of us who do.

It is your biased view that your two cousins bought cameras with too many pixels.

They are but an example of your bias - you are surrounded mainly by pros, and miss the unwashed masses who have no choice except buying cameras with too many pixels. Which isn't my point either. My point is there's a lot of traffic about higher resolution sensor, which is not proportional to the percentage of photographers who actually need / benefit from it.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
What is it about the internet that causes people to double down when they ought to just concede they were wrong and move on?

I don't know. Ask someone who was wrong.

This whole argument is ignorant. If you don't need or want higher megapixels, just save to one of the formats that has less. But, don't dismiss what others need.

You seem to have missed my point, which is the number of posts about sensor resolution is not proportional to the percentage of photographers who actually need more nowadays.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
The largest I ever printed was poster (40" by 30"), and a handful of those at that. I'm an effing amateur, lets say I needed 18MP for that. I'm impatient, so after half an hour framing on a tripod, I still cropped a couple of MP. So even on the rare occasion I go big and compensate for my lack of skill with what is, for my needs, an overkill camera, I barely scratch my 5DmkIII's resolution.

I've looked left and right, and say that covers what 999‰ of camera owners need, if not 9999‱ of them.

I don't see why the niche within the 1‰, or 1‱, who actually need >30MP (crop wildlife & print large, ads on billboards & walls five stories high, etc) would be posting so much about it on forums. My guess is they have the manufacturer's ear anyway.

Us birders often crop to the extreme. Obviously it is never a stellar image but cropping to 10% of the original image size to better frame a small or distant bird isn’t unusual. Got some shots of a blue dacnis the other day which I’ll be doing just that!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Promille and permyriad symbols are unusual? Now people need those to be spelled out as "1:1000" and "1:10000"? Damn.

"The term occurs so rarely in English that major dictionaries do not agree on the spelling or pronunciation even within a single dialect of English " (Wikipedia, with references to multiple dictionaries and several without mention of it). FWIW, I'm generally the nerdiest nerd in the room and had never come across those. "Unusual" is a fair description, yes.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Why would anyone want to print a poster @ 300PPI, and more importantly - how many of such photographers are there?

300dpi gives a viewing distance of 1ft. That's entirely reasonable for a poster-print hanging in a living room, when someone wants to take a close look to identify a feature or person.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

They are but an example of your bias - you are surrounded mainly by pros, and miss the unwashed masses who have no choice except buying cameras with too many pixels. Which isn't my point either. My point is there's a lot of traffic about higher resolution sensor, which is not proportional to the percentage of photographers who actually need / benefit from it.
I have made it absolutely clear that I am a member of group that wants high megapixel sensors because they aid our type of photography. If you consider that as a "bias", then you are biased also.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
32.5 * 1.6 ^ 2 = 83MP.

And the megapixel race to nowhere continues...

... or the megapixel race towards ~ 20Mpix modes which have a RGGB quadruplet as a base for a non-bayer full color pixel as alternative mode to save moderate resolution high color depth images while retaining DPAF at a very high granularity. + enable smaller AF "points".

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don't know. Ask someone who was wrong.

Okay, I will be more direct. Why are you doubling down?

I guess I will make one more fruitless attempt to explain (even though I know you have no interest in an intelligent exchange but just want to argue).

Maybe 99% of people don't need 32 mp sensors. So what? 99% are using cell phones anyway. Digital cameras have become a niche market and Canon's path to success/survival is serving that niche market. A significant and profitable niche market is wildlife, bird and sports photographers. Many of us have both Full Frame and Crop Sensor bodies. We use them for different purposes. The Crop Sensors come out when we are distance limited or under other circumstances when the crop sensor better fits our needs. We have a thirst for more megapixels because the nature of what we shoot using a crop sensor camera requires cropping, sometimes significant cropping.

You say your point is that the number of posts by people who want more megapixels is disproportionate to the number of people in the general population that need or want more megapixels. So what? This is a thread about a sensor with more megapixels, on a geek forum devoted to new camera technology and read by the less than 1% of the population who are the actual targets of these products. Why shouldn't it generate interest among those who want more megapixels?

BTW, given your insistence on holding on to an idea that others have decisively shown to be invalid, I have to ask, did you used to post under the name Dilbert?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
To all the 7D MKII owners out there. If it is a 7D MKIII you better upgrade your PC / MacBook and external hard drives, I had to when I bought the 5DS. Those larger files soon eat up space.
Already did. That's just the age we are living in. Probably why B&H and Adorama have both offered deep discounts on 10TB external drives recently.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic etc all do high resolution and low resolution models because there is a demand for both. I am not telling you that you need a high resolution resolution but simply pointing out that there are enough of us who do. It is your biased view that your two cousins bought cameras with too many pixels.
There can even be a demand for a mid- and a high- MP camera in the same bag.
I do need a 30 MP (5 D IV) for most of my pictures, but wish I had a 60+ MP camera for macro. The 2 seemingly contradictory demands exist and sometimes even coexist.

Upvote 0