Canon officially announces the PowerShot G5 X Mark II and PowerShot G7 X Mark III

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Press release:
The PowerShot G7 X III and the PowerShot G5 X Mark II are the New Powerhouse Cameras for Visual Creators and Advanced Amateurs
MELVILLE, N.Y., July 8, 2019 – Ansel Adams, one of the greatest landscape photographers once said, “You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” Never have truer words been spoken as digital photography has evolved and storytelling is shared through multiple mediums. Providing visual storytellers more options to bring their imaginative visions to life, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, introduces the PowerShot G7 X III and the PowerShot G5 X Mark II cameras. Successors to the PowerShot G7 X II and PowerShot G5 X respectively, these new cameras usher in a plethora of new and innovative functionalities. Depending on the model, new innovative features include live-streaming available with YouTube* (via wireless connection), a pop-up electrical viewfinder (EVF) and 4K video shooting...

Continue reading...

Wierd compromises between 2 cameras, also sony is holding back sensors for its clients.

These are the first non-Sony 1" cameras where Sony allowed use of their stacked sensor. I guess that means that the next RX camera (coming this month) will contain a new Sony sensor. This is likely why Canon continues with their own sensors and DPAF even if the sensor tech is behind Sony.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
These are the first non-Sony 1" cameras where Sony allowed use of their stacked sensor. I guess that means that the next RX camera (coming this month) will contain a new Sony sensor. This is likely why Canon continues with their own sensors and DPAF even if the sensor tech is behind Sony.
but nikon seemed to get good sensors from them for the full frame. and the medium format sensors seem nice too.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Can someone confirm the differences besides I see the g5 goes to 120mm?
G5 likely has better quality lens. G5 has EVF but no mic port.

The cameras are positioned differently, so I wouldn't be surprised by odd but intended differences in firmware.

Also, isn't it extremely weird that they added a mic input, talk about vlogging, but have nowhere to mount a mic? No shoe or 1/4-20 at the top? Gonna have to get funky adapters/cages making the camera larger and heavier :(
There is 1/4" at the bottom, of course.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Both Rx100 mk V and Rx10 mk IV had sensors with on chip pdaf. These sensors look like ones from Rx100 mk IV. Even Panasonic doesnt have access to those on chip pdaf sensors from sony.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2019
Can someone confirm the differences besides I see the g5 goes to 120mm?

Also, isn't it extremely weird that they added a mic input, talk about vlogging, but have nowhere to mount a mic? No shoe or 1/4-20 at the top? Gonna have to get funky adapters/cages making the camera larger and heavier :(

What's the point of having a pocketable camera if you're just going to stick a huge boom mic on top? Plus it would block the selfie screen for vlogging use.

There are still good uses for having a mic jack. A cage fixes the problem when you don't need the pocketability. Alternatively, you could handhold a small microphone (for non-vlogging use), use a lavalier mic, or mount the mic on a separate stand in the studio.

Upvote 0