IBIS is coming to select next generation Canon DSLRs [CR2]

Who is taking an Oly or Pentax to Antarctica?

I'm not saying it's an equivalent to something like a 1DX, but a huge portion of the people buying them (the high end Olympus stuff at least, I don't think anyone is buying Pentax these days) are old guys taking the cameras on trips just like that. I switched over from a 5D3/1DX because I started shooting more high alpine sports and less low light stuff and the high end weather sealed crop gear really shines in those environments.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Who is taking an Oly or Pentax to Antarctica?
I took a 700d to Antarctica. Never missed a beat. Having said that however it was only for 2 weeks and we had very good weather. I have doubts it would last long periods in harsh conditions.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The sensor could be parked in a better position for heat transfer when IBIS is off. Just speculating, but that is what I would try to do in the design.
You guys sound like the sensor is really floating around in there. It isn't. Very minute movements.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
The world is full of mundane and silly things and maybe my comment was one of them, but that "Canon..ed" was my first time ever (If I remember correctly). But, I am curious to know what satisfaction it gives you to shout at silly things! You can....ignore them?
I did ignore them the first 50 times! :p

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
The sensor could be parked in a better position for heat transfer when IBIS is off. Just speculating, but that is what I would try to do in the design.
How much motion do you think this sensor is going to move. We're talking about a few pixels either way off center of shifting. Won't likely be much shifting.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
How much motion do you think this sensor is going to move. We're talking about a few pixels either way off center of shifting. Won't likely be much shifting.
An inch or two, this way or that. ;) The 1DX Mark III will have huge pixels to go along with huge imaginations. ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If it needs any space to move at all, this space will be filled with air. Air is a very poor thermal conductor.
Somebody had better call and let engineering know this. ;) Tell'em about heat sinks. But seriously, I don't think the mechanism is attached directly to the sensor, rather, attached to the PCB the sensor is mounted to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
As long as you can turn IBIS off when not needed (e.g., on a tripod), then noise can be controlled in special situations. With lens IS there probably won’t be a noticeable difference (IBIS on or off) in many other situations.
There's a recent patent application for an algorithm allowing the camera to choose between IBIS, lens-based or a combination or both for optimum results. Query whether there would be user options on limiting the choice, but it should certainly be possible.

Upvote 0

It's way more than that, the sensors usually have a range of motion around 10-15% the sensor height.

and here's a demonstration of the system in the Sony mirrorless bodies.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

FredEOS

EOS R / m50 / a6400
Jul 18, 2019
I don’t think that a patent implies that there will be a camera using the technology.
Canon is clearly showing that DSLR is over without making it official, and there will be no 90D or 1DxIII... but only mirrorless next gen camera with RF mount.
In the last 16 months canon released the m50, the R and RP, and now focusing on the RF lenses.
Does anybody really believe that L mount mirrored DSLR cameras are coming??? Lol guys wake up this is over !! Look at the competition and the market: this is OVER.
What’s coming imo are the EOS “R+” with 60mp to compete with A7r4, S1, Z7, GFX100, the EOS “Rx” with top features to replace 1DxII, the EOS M5ii with top features to replace the 80D and compete with a6400 and X-T3 in APS-C, all with RF mount (and EF adaptor to keep customers happy).
Let’s turn the page. I’ve never been happier since I replaced my 5D4 by the fantastic EOS R, and I’m excited with the better ones coming :)

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
It's way more than that, the sensors usually have a range of motion around 10-15% the sensor height.

and here's a demonstration of the system in the Sony mirrorless bodies.

Yeah, but my point is that they aren't moving a whole lot for it to matter much for cooling. The small amount they aren't moving isn't likely to house a better cooling mechanism that they couldn't implement otherwise.

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2016
I am convinced the upcoming 90D (or whatever it gets called) is going to be the head scratcher. It is going to be the trial ground for new tech...new sensor, IBIS, might even put the R mount on a mirrored camera (would the APS-C sensor accept the new flange distance?). The R mount still has some new connections we need to learn about, could be related to the combined stabilization.

Here is hoping it all comes together into a great package!

Upvote 0