Three of the four new RF lenses are still scheduled for release in 2019

lbeck

Jul 30, 2019
I have to say I am both jealous and sad about the Canon situation. I almost bought an EOS R from my 5D Mark III. Instead after reading reviews I sold off my Canon equipment and bought a A7RIII, 24mm GM F1.4, 55mm F1.8, 85mm F1.8, 24-105 F4 and 90mm macro.

I didn't expect it but I was utterly shocked at the resolution difference between the A7RIII and the 5DIII. Obviously the resolution is completely different but I think the AA filter not being present makes the biggest difference.

Comparing these new lenses to what Sony is offering it is incredible what the RF mount can offer...it was just too little too late for me. I wanted a F1.4 24mm or 35mm. I wanted decently sized (and priced) primes as well.

How long would it take me to get equivalent lenses to what I have available right now with the Sony system? Probably years. You can say just use EF lenses but that introduces complexity in lens swaps and removes a lot of size advantage.

I hope Canon does well with this mount...who knows maybe someday they will offer a really compelling package...all I know is right now I'm loving the Sony more than my 5DIII.

I totally understand your choice to move over, I was in the same situation but decided to stay and update my gear to the RF system and wait patiently for the trinity zooms. Currently IMO the RF mount is only missing one important prime, the 24 or 35L. The 50 and 85 are already available.

I had the 5D Mark III along with the 24-70L 2.8 Mark II, 35L 1.4 Mark I, 135L 2, and 85 1.8. I mainly used the 24-70L and 35L so selling off my gear wasn’t a huge deal knowing the RF zooms were on their way, and I prefer the 50mm prime over the 35 so that was a huge win for me. I did try the EOS adapter for using EF glass on the RF mount and while it worked beautifully, I didn’t like the extra length it added to my lenses. I prefer native glass on the RF mount, it’s so nice.

I am patiently waiting for the three trinity IS zooms for my new EOS R. Currently I have the RF 50 1.2 L and it is by far the best piece of glass I’ve ever used. I mean seriously, it’s that good and makes me excited to get any future RF L lenses. And the RF 24-105L with the nano usm is ridiculous for an all around general zoom, I honestly feel it’s probably as good as the current EF 24-70 f2.8 in certain situations due to the 5 stop IS.

Right now, that simple kit suffices for me while I wait for the new zooms which should be out in a few months.

So in regard to your comment about waiting years to get that setup, IMO it’s almost here besides the 24 or 35 prime. The RF glass is pricey, but I can say it’s fully worth it and that’s even with a medium level EOS R body. Imagine when the pro version is released and can be used with this amazing RF glass, there will be a clear difference in brands I believe and it will be due to the RF glass.

Canon knows a 24 or 35L (or both) is needed when they have their pro body out, it won’t be long considering 2020 Olympics are coming on their home turf. I imagine their lineup by then will be insanely good and certainly have all needed zooms and main primes.

Sony obviously has the better bodies now without question, but not the glass. In my experience glass matters more as long as the body is at least medium level quality and the EOS R certainly fits that bill. It’s not superb, but it’s not mediocre either. Glass matters, and glass is where Canon has always excelled. IMO better to wait for the pro body and use the best glass around than the opposite.

BTW I’m not trying to knock on your decision negatively, just giving my .02. I had a hard time deciding also. The good news no matter what side you are currently on, is that the competition is heating up which always results in a win for us consumers :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011
Anybody have an idea on when Canon might introduce another round of lens rebates? Don't they usually offer them a few times a year?

I want to pick up the 24-105, but at $899, not $1099.
You should talk to me. I have an unused one. Was going to buy the R or RP this spring, then never puller the trigger.

Upvote 0

lbeck

Jul 30, 2019
I will mention though that Canon's entirely missing portable primes.

Absolutely, as well as portable zooms (excluding the awesome 24-105).

The fact that the majority of their new RF glass is professional L grade shows how serious they are about the new RF mount, which is great for us fans. In time, they will have both medium and pro grades lenses, hopefully they don’t wait too long.

While I love the L glass they’ve put out so far, they certainly need to expand their offerings for all levels of consumers.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Probably but F2.8 IS zooms will sell more and be more useful (size/weight/IS) and affordable to the majority of users...

In theory, I'd prefer the 24-70 2.8 IS over the 28-70 f2 mainly due to a) the extra versatility due to the IS and b) the extra 4mm on wide end.

But in practice, I'd like to see the IQ difference.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
In theory, I'd prefer the 24-70 2.8 IS over the 28-70 f2 mainly due to a) the extra versatility due to the IS and b) the extra 4mm on wide end.

But in practice, I'd like to see the IQ difference.
That raises the big question. Will Canon at least match the objective and subjective IQ of the ef 24-70mm f/2.8L II, or make it exasperatingly less stellar than the showboat 28-70mm f/2 (more like a shorter 24-105mm f/4)?

Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
I'm pumped for the 70-200 and hope it's worth the wait. Outside of that one, I will probably not be able to consider any of these other pricey L lenses anytime soon. Nevertheless, if Canon had led with releasing mostly affordable/portable f/1.8 native primes for the RF mount to accompany a $2k EOS R, I would already be a Sony user. By executing on superior glass first for this mount, Canon demonstrated to me the potential value to this system going forward. Thus, while the offering is too incomplete to drive strong Canon mirrorless sales today, I suspect they might be successful in delaying some users adopting other alternatives, which could buy Canon enough time to catch up on bodies and put out smaller lenses. Time will tell. I'm sure the competition isn't standing still either.

Upvote 0
Absolutely, as well as portable zooms (excluding the awesome 24-105).

The fact that the majority of their new RF glass is professional L grade shows how serious they are about the new RF mount, which is great for us fans. In time, they will have both medium and pro grades lenses, hopefully they don’t wait too long.

While I love the L glass they’ve put out so far, they certainly need to expand their offerings for all levels of consumers.

The state of the market will dictate a lot in this area. The ILC market is returning to a time where it’s largely dominated by pros and enthusiasts; the average consumers needs will be satisfied by smartphones.

The obvious casualties will be the affordable lenses.

This hobby is going to become far more niche, and far more expensive. The writing is on the wall.

I honesty don’t see Canon even bothering with some 1.8 primes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
I really look forward to the new RF lenses.....I have an R and really like it. I shoot it together with my 5D4 and they are a nice combo. I especially want the RF 15-35.

Having said that, the only thing that will hold me back on buying the Rf trio is lack of a matching body. Specifically something as weather sealed as the 5D4 or better. The R is good, but the 5D4 is clearly a tougher body. I shoot landscapes in pretty challenging environments a lot, and I would be afraid to use the R in a lot of scenarios. So until they release the next R body that is up to 5d standards (hopefully the high-res R....a modern high res body is WAY overdue IMHO) getting the RF lenses is of questionable benefit since I need to use both bodies. When they do, the 5D4 goes and it will be RF all the way. Until then, it's both bodies and adapted glass. Which, for anyone who is on the fence, works very well.

I suspect I am not the only one who will jump in to Rf totally as soon as we see an upper end body that is both durable and up to date in terms of sensor tech, resolution etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
They won't, perhaps, bother with cheapo toy zooms, and toy primes like the all-plastic EF 50/1.8 MkII, but they should or even must put out things like the pro-use EF 50/1.8. MkI. Enthusiasts like me want to use the same camera for grab shots in daily life that we use for everything else, but even the 35/1.8 is just a bit too big to have on the camera in the backpack all the time. (At least at my age.) I loved the lenses for my old Contax G so something the size of the G's 28, 35, and 45 would be greatly welcomed.

I think a future smart phone with a lens kit would probably better serve that sort of use. It’ll be interesting to see what Canon does on the low end.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
And what about a professional RF 35 f1.4 or f1.2 ??? That is a REAL NEED!!!
There is now way a 35 prime is more important than a 2.8 'holy trinity'. The less important lenses will come however. Be patient. Canon are working at insane speed now they have entered the ff mirrorless market. Way faster than sony did.

Upvote 0
One issue though is the lens entrance pupil, basically the lens front, needs to be about 17mm to give the very minor pop we associate with a 35/2. I haven't seen a cell phone with even 1/10 that area yet. It actually doesn't matter how big the sensor is, I don't think, or at least that affects the result more at the pixel level, but you need to have that glass to get a DOF-based pop of your subject.

Enter computational imaging advancements. Physics can’t be defied, but maybe it can be circumvented completely.

• Haha
Upvote 0
There is now way a 35 prime is more important than a 2.8 'holy trinity'. The less important lenses will come however. Be patient. Canon are working at insane speed now they have entered the ff mirrorless market. Way faster than sony did.

I think it was a year ago I realized that Sony did not offer a fast, mid-range 35mm prime except the 35mm f/2.8. Which costs $800! It wasn't until just now that they FINALLY released a regular 35mm f/1.8 for their FF bodies. AT $750!!! They're outside of their damn minds.

• Haha
Upvote 0
I think it was a year ago I realized that Sony did not offer a fast, mid-range 35mm prime except the 35mm f/2.8. Which costs $800! It wasn't until just now that they FINALLY released a regular 35mm f/1.8 for their FF bodies. AT $750!!! They're outside of their damn minds.

Maybe. When I did have an A7III, that FE 85 1.8 was AWESOME though. Beautiful lens, even going up against the 1.4 GM it had almost the same IQ (sure it had some cats eye, and didn't handle backlit subjects as well) with a smaller form factor, and FASTER AF.

If the 35 1.8 they released is on par with the 85, it'll be a winner for that platform, even at $750.

Upvote 0