Canon will reclaim their full-frame megapixel crown [CR1]

I wonder if they can do DPAF at those high MP's?

If they can, how much intra-frame time will it take to process the AF/metering and then combine the imaging data for 160 million photo cells?

Glad it's not my job to sort that out.

Contrast AF is fine for landscapes and product photography.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
...It appears that a 32.5MP 1.6X APS-C sensor is coming from Canon in the M line. Taking the photo site density of that sensor, which is slightly smaller than the Sony APS-C sensor, and increasing the dimensions to produce a full-frame 24x36mm sensor gets us to a bit more than 80MP. In other words, a 75MP full frame sensor would actually be a slightly conservative move based on technology that Canon already has...

That would make more sense than 75. Nut the number 32.5 is still only a rumor and not neccessarily a technology Canon already has.

Upvote 0
It's not just the sensor, it's also the processor that counts, especially if you consider that uncropped 4k video feature you all long for.
Me, I would love a solid 5D replacement, with 4k uncropped video, eye-tracking AF and 10 fps. The good old Canon colour science coupled with a 15-stop dynamic range would also be welcome.
Now, we all have more or less heavily invested into the system and I appreciate cameras and specs are just tools and features of the trade.
I just want to be reassured that the brand we all rely on continues to provide the advancements we require to be competitive in the market.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I believe it when I see it. Me thinks hypes like “caught up to Sony” are the ones leads to heavy appointment when actually (if ever) the high megapixel camera comes out. I have been waiting for Canon to release a high megapixel body to replace 5DsR (it didn't matter to me DSLR or MLIC back then) a year after they released 5D4 but no signs of such camera yet. So I got the Sony a7r3 but if ever Canon comes up with a competitive camera most likely I will buy one because of the amazing Canon lenses.

Upvote 0
80 MP on full frame would be interesting. If true, I wonder what they have come up with to deal with the diffraction issue at those resolutions.

If it’s just some sort of internally processed bracketing, that’d make for a really slow shooter. I hope it’s something truly innovative if it’s that high MP; something that achieves the resolution density AND makes it widely useable.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
In many ways this is an interesting and positive rumour.
I can completely understand a birder like AlanF wanting a 70-80MP camera as small birds are pretty small in camera and cropping with a high MP camera can really help.
In many other cases its a complete waste of mega pixels.
It's useful as a Pixel peeper but not really in print - even billboards don't really need it.

I hope its a better incarnation than the 5DSR.
I found with mine that if you had perfect conditions and shot at ISO 100 to 400 it gave great images.
Higher than ISO 400 the images are smudgy close up and lack sharpness.
The most annoying thing was the camera didn't seem to be able to keep up with the image size.
Doing something like an event or a wedding checking the camera is infuriating. It is way too slow finishing the buffer and displaying the image.

It would have made the 5DSR a more likeable camera if the processor could have kept up.
If you are used to 24MP and are now going to move to 70-80MP you will be in for a rude awakening with the file sizes. Your memory cards will be too small and your hard drive too small. Storage and backup becomes a pain.

I will be tempted by this camera but I'd prefer a 24-34 MP camera with an excellent focusing system and intelligence when it comes to tracking objects moving within the frame. I like the option to have high FPS in a camera.
If this is 3 to 6 FPS then it wouldn't be attractive to me.
With 70-80MP Canon have to do some trade-offs on what they offer.

For sure I will keep a close eye on it.
I may be tempted by it but I may also keep saving and go for a 1DR or 1DX III depending on what they have on offer.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Contrast AF is fine for landscapes and product photography.
So is manual focus but I think that's about as likely as a Canon with contrast AF. Given how good the AF appears to be on the A7rIV, and the negative press that Panasonic's S1's AF has been drawing, I think Canon will need a pretty good AF solution if they want to sell mor than a handfull of these. Canon earnings can't be supported on Panasonic level sales figures. IMO, Canon will have to either sort out the DPAF issues or embed a phase detect array in the sensor.

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
Who really cares? Not trying to be sarcastic. A slow, limited feature high megapixel body. A practical crop mode? Good luck.

This company is the meaning of struggle. If canon thinks that more megapixels is enough to keep them in the lead- with old tech moving all that data around- then they already lost. Canons lineup has no feet. The R doesn't even have a joystick for moving the focus point. At $2300. Is this crazy town or what.

Just like my beautiful 5d3, I want a reliable, full feature set body without lame firmware compromises. 60+ MP....interesting, but not critical.

The R doesn't need a joystick. You can move the focus points around with your thumb on the screen whilst looking through the viewfinder. Its quicker and easier to do it with the touchscreen than the joystick. Try it.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Which is why I'm very glad I didn't jump on Sony's ship and sail away to point of no return. Now there's something I'm wondering about. There is a post on Canonwatch.com stating that Canon lenses have a MP limit. Which personally Idk if they do, my guess is no they don't. The new RF lenses coming out I believe should be capable of handling any number of MP.

Well they have been using their L EF lenses on 250 MP sensors with total success and they have shown the photos. So their lenses go to at least 250 MP with no problems at all. I would imagine from what I read of the RF mount lenses being even better than EF mount lenses that the limit will be much higher than 250 MP.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I am considering the new Sony and a Metabones EF adapter as a higher MP landscape option. I like my Canon R and would love a high MP body for the RF lenses but, with no announcement in sight, how long do you wait? Plus Canon usually “under-preforms” compared to the initial rumors. I will say that the real world RAW files from the R are quite good (similar to the 5DM4 of course). Canon has moved so slowly with sensor tech improvements in the past it is hard to believe that they would make the leap all the way to a FF backside illuminated 80MP sensor. It could be incredible but I’ll believe it when I see it!

Go for it then.

Upvote 0
Who really cares? Not trying to be sarcastic. A slow, limited feature high megapixel body. A practical crop mode? Good luck.

This company is the meaning of struggle. If canon thinks that more megapixels is enough to keep them in the lead- with old tech moving all that data around- then they already lost. Canons lineup has no feet. The R doesn't even have a joystick for moving the focus point. At $2300. Is this crazy town or what.

Just like my beautiful 5d3, I want a reliable, full feature set body without lame firmware compromises. 60+ MP....interesting, but not critical.
This joystick argument is old and tired. The touchscreen is so much faster. Besides, if you’re a company trying to make the transition from smartphone to camera easier, does it make sense to have more buttons/joystick or a great touchscreen? It’s an honest question and one very few people actually think about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Not Sony users, that is all they have. Same to some extent Nikon users as well.
I'm pretty sure that what Sony users have is a 60 MP body that shoots 10 FPS with the worlds best tracking AF system. What Canon users have is another rumor about some imaginary camera that may or may not ever exist. If you prefer Canon's, dislike Sony, and can live with that it's fine but pretending that Sony isn't leading the way in mirrorless just makes you sound foolish. Just sayin' ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
It's useful as a Pixel peeper but not really in print - even billboards don't really need it.

While I would agree we're getting into the realm of diminishing returns, anyone making truly large prints that viewers can walk up to will benefit. With 8688px Canon's 50mp sensor delivers 144 ppi at 60", assuming a 2:3 print. I actually think you can (just) pull this off with a 5Ds/sr, a tack sharp lens, and solid technique. But 80mp would bring a noticeable improvement. Applications that come to mind include large print landscape galleries and window store displays.

These are niche markets to be sure, but they exist, they are demanding, and they have money to spend. Keep in mind people buy and shoot 150mp Phase One backs.

I found with mine that if you had perfect conditions and shot at ISO 100 to 400 it gave great images.

Noise doesn't intrude all that much on sharpness and detail even at ISO 3200, something anyone can confirm viewing test photos at various sites. And I honestly feel comfortable going 20x30 or even 24x36 at ISO 3200 if everything else is in order (lens IQ; technique; processing). Not sure what was failing in your workflow above ISO 400, but it wasn't the sensor.

I will be tempted by this camera but I'd prefer a 24-34 MP camera with an excellent focusing system and intelligence when it comes to tracking objects moving within the frame. I like the option to have high FPS in a camera.

Clearly this is not the only other RF model Canon is going to introduce. We don't even know if it's the next RF model. I wish people would keep that in mind when reading rumors about the high MP RF body.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
In many ways this is an interesting and positive rumour.
I can completely understand a birder like AlanF wanting a 70-80MP camera as small birds are pretty small in camera and cropping with a high MP camera can really help.
In many other cases its a complete waste of mega pixels.

1. I am actually happy with 50 Mpx and would find 80 Mpx stretching my drives.
2. I routinely shoot at iso640 as my minimum, and happy with the noise and sharpness. Just delving into my recent files, here are first a couple of shots at iso640, where my admittedly old eyes can't see the noise or smudges (all 100% crops of 1 px = 1 px of original) and then below a typical one at iso1600, where I can massively crop to see the fish in the heron's beak against a dark background and the noise is pretty good and the image is sharp enough given the crop.

Maybe my standards are just very low or perhaps your RAW converter isn't too good. I use DxO PL with standard PRIME, no further noise reduction and no sharpening other than the built-in lens sharpness setting.

3Q7A2067-DxO_banded_demoiselle-1_best.jpg3Q7A7226-DxO_Female_kingfisher+fish_vvvvs.jpg3Q7A1930-DxO_heron+stickleback_complete_small.jpg3Q7A1930-DxO_heron+fish+drops.jpg

Attachments

• 3Q7A1912-DxO_heron+fish_in_mouth_local1.jpg
    3Q7A1912-DxO_heron+fish_in_mouth_local1.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0