Canon RF 28-70 f/2L and what else?

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm thinking the RF 28-70 f/2L is going to be a must have for me. I am curious as to what the longer zoom will be. Will it also be f/2? Something like a 70-135? I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I can see myself very happy with just two zooms, though the RF 85mm f/1.2L and RF 50 f/1.2L would be awfully tempting. I'd have to have the zooms first though. Wider than 28mm isn't a worry for me. Still have my EF 24-70 f/2.8L II should I need a wider angle. Already missing my EF 35mm f/1.4L II though.

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
I'm thinking the RF 28-70 f/2L is going to be a must have for me. I am curious as to what the longer zoom will be. Will it also be f/2? Something like a 70-135? I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I can see myself very happy with just two zooms, though the RF 85mm f/1.2L and RF 50 f/1.2L would be awfully tempting. I'd have to have the zooms first though. Wider than 28mm isn't a worry for me. Still have my EF 24-70 f/2.8L II should I need a wider angle. Already missing my EF 35mm f/1.4L II though.

I’m not selling my 35 II till canon do a version for the R. The rf35 1.8 is wonderful for the price and size, but doesn’t quite have that magic

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
unless you are frequently run and gun in poorly lit venues with a no flash allowed policy in place, you would be just fine with 24-70 / 2.8 glass.
if you can afford to take a breather while you are changing your glass, you would be even better served with a pair of nice and bright primes in your bag: say, 35/.1.4 + 85/1.4
please note: 28-70/2.0 is not a spectacular lens wide open at the wide end. far from it. your Canon 35/1.4 II stopped down to F2.0 will be running circles around the zoom lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Just out of curiosity, are you speaking from your own experience?
nope, there are quite a few reviewers noted sharpness wide open.. TDP though was of an alternative opinion however their own image samples suggest otherwise. see lens image quality section on TDP website.

here is link to a review:

https://www.slrlounge.com/canon-rf-28-70-2-0l-a-hands-on-review/

"... I wasn’t that impressed, however, with the sharpness of this lens at f/2.0. While it’s sharp enough to create usable images, pixel peepers will likely find the results a bit softer than expected. Perhaps I’m asking too much from a f/2.0 wide-mid zoom lens, but while the RF 50 1.2 is incredibly sharp at f/1.2, this $3000 lens is just sharp enough at f/2.0. It’s very sharp at f/2.8, though, and extremely sharp as you close down..."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
unless you are frequently run and gun in poorly lit venues with a no flash allowed policy in place, you would be just fine with 24-70 / 2.8 glass.
if you can afford to take a breather while you are changing your glass, you would be even better served with a pair of nice and bright primes in your bag: say, 35/.1.4 + 85/1.4
please note: 28-70/2.0 is not a spectacular lens wide open at the wide end. far from it. your Canon 35/1.4 II stopped down to F2.0 will be running circles around the zoom lens.
Loved my 35mm f/1.4 II but sold it to help finance an R. Miss that lens already.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The 24-105 honestly surprised me with how good it is. Maybe you’re wanting something with a larger aperture, but if not, check it out.
Got that lens as a kit with an R last night. Should be here by the middle of the week. Couldn't pass up the $500 instant rebate and an automotive photographer (LSX?) sold me on that focal length through the great photos he took with it.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Got that lens as a kit with an R last night. Should be here by the middle of the week. Couldn't pass up the $500 instant rebate and an automotive photographer (LSX?) sold me on that focal length through the great photos he took with it.
I missed the deal with the rebate AND the free EF adapter. I was so eager for the 50mm I almost went for it, but now back to holding out for a body with better specs and ergonomics.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I think the question of what the longer f2 zoom will be is a very good question. My guess is 70-135 would just be too small a range to make it worthwhile. And a 70-200 would be way too big to be practical. So I(and I would think many others) am guessing a 70-150. Although I am usually wrong when making predictions.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I think the question of what the longer f2 zoom will be is a very good question. My guess is 70-135 would just be too small a range to make it worthwhile. And a 70-200 would be way too big to be practical. So I(and I would think many others) am guessing a 70-150. Although I am usually wrong when making predictions.
I could live with 150mm, but what if it turns out to be an f/1.8? Hmmmm.... Seriously though, 70-135 f/2 works for me. Especially if the bokeh is as good as my 135mm f/2 prime.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
While this is true, the 35mm isn't nearly as versatile. I get very good images from the f/2 wide open and it will be used outdoors nearly all the time, sometimes in natural light and sometimes with flash. It is very rare for me to shoot wider than 50mm. 99% of the time I'm shooting portraits and fashion. Older women, especially at close distance, do not appreciate ultra sharp images. ;) Yes, I know I can soften things in post if I need to with the texture or clarity sliders, but that isn't an ideal solution for me. The RF 28-70mm covers 35mm and 50mm for me and even gives me a very acceptable portrait focal length at 70mm. My RF 85mm can handle all my indoor work, and it is unbelievably sharp even at f/1.2. Right now I am waiting to see what is going to be offered in a fast zoom (Hopefully a 70-135 f/2), but that will be a long wait. If a prime 135mm f/2 or faster is offered first, that will be all I need and I'll probably forget all about the longer zoom. I'll attach three photos. The first with the EF 35mm f/1.4L II wide open with a young girl who has perfect skin, and then the RF 28-70mm f/2L at 70mm wide open with a model who is in her late 20's. The 35mm is awesomely sharp. I'd have kept it, but needed to sell to begin the switch switch over to RF lenses. I may still also get the RF 50mm f/1.2L one of these days (after getting a longer prime or zoom, but for now the 28-70 is very good). The color photo is also from the 28-70 wide open, I had to selectively soften so few small areas because of makeup caking. I also softened her nose ring which was razor sharp just because it was a quick edit and is a casualty of the softening around her nose due to makeup caking. So I cannot see enough of an advantage for keeping the 35 except for it being faster. The color photo is also a huge crop from a nearly half body shot with lots of space above her head.

Attachments

• Leslie 4 web.jpg
    Leslie 4 web.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Izii 1 web.jpg
    Izii 1 web.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Izzi 7 web.jpg
    Izzi 7 web.jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I get very good images from the f/2 wide open and it will be used outdoors nearly all the time, sometimes in natural light and sometimes with flash.

Question: I don't know if you are referring to on- or off-camera flash, but I was wondering about the massive barrel of the 28-70 obscuring the on-camera flash and casting a shadow (particularly close-up at 70mm). Can you comment on this? I already had issues with the EF 24-70 doing this with the hood attached (when removed, seems to be clear).

Upvote 0