Canon EOS 90D full specifications

Kharan

R6, RP, bunch of lenses
Nov 9, 2018
So they did the same stupid thing they did with the RP and removed 1920x1080 @ 24p. I would love to hear the logic behind removing that frame rate. It simply cannot be explained outside of intentionally crippling the camera. It's like cannon is going out of their way to push video users over to Sony or Panasonic.

^THIS. I’m perplexed. Canon have finally decided to build an attractive, well-specced model... and then made it completely unusable for me (and many others, I’m sure). For no good, apparent, or easily explained reason.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The big question for me as somebody primarily interested in wildlife and sports photography is how well a 32.5MP APS-C sensor will cope at ISO's above 1600.
Well, you won't get FF-level image quality, that's for sure ;).

The thing is, the more MPs increase, the more room you have for noise-reduction without detail destruction.
If Canon has kept the quality of the pixels the same as on the 80D, then the extra resolution will result in less overall image noise.
I used to think that more megapixels is bad, as it makes noise worse - but not anymore.
Noise reduction is so good these days and only works better with more MPs.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
As a customer who buys from them even though they don't listen, it's frustrating that they don't! We have consistently asked to be brought up to atleast par with other cameras from 4 years ago. 2 card slots and 4k 60 would have easily sold me on this, unfortunately, I will not be getting this now.

What prosumer tier ILC with an APS-C sensor had 4k 60p four years ago? Did any m43 bodies even have it back then? How many, if any, consumer/prosumer tier ILCs had dual card slots?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
Thanx Canon for including all the video features I wanted except for...ya kno.... LOG... No C-Log, come on man

I don't think its the market this camera is aimed at. Video wise It's for casual shooters who wan't a step up and vloggers who want to shoot without any fuss. If you want Log and raw ect thats more black magic's crowd at this price point.

Upvote 0
The video specs here was not exactly complete in the first place as someone observed. How sure are we that there indeed won’t be 23.976fps recording on this camera?

Also, what kind of crop is there for 120p? The promo video said „narrower fov” but I didn’t see anything about how much narrower in these specs...

The fact that it records in mp4 H.264 means that it records only in IPB? ALL-I was outputting MOVs right?

No chroma subsampling specs as well? 4:2:0 only? Can it record an external recorder?

Also no bitrate information, so it all implies that these specs are not exaclty a fully comprehensive specification. Is it? It is official information?

Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
Seems like a pretty decent upgrade all things considered. For those who love shooting with an 80D this is more of the same with 4K in a manageable file size if the 120mbs bitrate is correct. As a YouTuber that's exactly what I'm looking for. Already got a quote for trading in the body of my 80D so I'll be ordering day one.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is does it still have a mic and a headphone socket. You can't really tell from the video. Hoping it hasn't lost functionality. Lol.

Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
The video specs here was not exactly complete in the first place as someone observed. How sure are we that there indeed won’t be 23.976fps recording on this camera?

Also, what kind of crop is there for 120p? The promo video said „narrower fov” but I didn’t see anything about how much narrower in these specs...

The fact that it records in mp4 H.264 means that it records only in IPB? ALL-I was outputting MOVs right?

No chroma subsampling specs as well? 4:2:0 only? Can it record an external recorder?

Also no bitrate information, so it all implies that these specs are not exaclty a fully comprehensive specification. Is it? It is official information?

Video only calls our a narrow field of view with 120fps. 4K says cropped / uncropped for 4K. I presume that means its uncrossed but with a 1.1 option for the sensor like the 70D had..

It looks like its MP4 IPB in everything leaked so far.

Bitrate is 120mbps.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
So they did the same stupid thing they did with the RP and removed 1920x1080 @ 24p. I would love to hear the logic behind removing that frame rate. It simply cannot be explained outside of intentionally crippling the camera. It's like cannon is going out of their way to push video users over to Sony or Panasonic.
Product differentiation. Canon ran the numbers and they believe their data suggests they will make more money by not having it in some lower level cameras than having it despite the fact that they know it will cost them some sales.

Basically if you were a potential 90D purchaser and now won't buy one because it doesn't have 24p then Canon believe they have a good estimate of your number and believe it would have cost them more revenue to leave it in.

Upvote 0
FINALLY!!! :cool:

After over a year of patiently waiting while rumors slowly dripped about this camera release, it's finally here. And, for me, this is exactly what I've been hoping for. As I stated in last week's post about the soon-coming 90D, I've been using an old Rebel T3i for the last 5-½ years with several lenses (kit and otherwise, including an L-lens). I needed a new top-level crop sensor camera to push me further on my photography journey and growth (along with getting a few more new lenses: 85mm, a wide-angle, etc.). Just about every spec that's listed is making me verrrrrrry happy.:)

This will definitely be my next camera (body-only) which I will use for the next 5 years. At that point in time, a mature and proven mirrorless 5D type camera will be my next step up the ladder as an aspiring part-time professional.

I just hope I don't have to wait many months before it's finally available for purchase.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2018
Poor Canon. Can they ever break ahead from the competitors? Yes, I know that this is not a xD series camera, but since there will be no 7D Mark III, presented here is a 2019 camera with 2008 specs concerning the viewfinder's auto-focus points and the good ol' 4:2:0 color space @ 8bit. Still behind Nikon's D500 in terms of ISO, auto-focus points (45 vs 153), and the lack of an anti-aliasing filter. I own a lot of Canon equipment for videography and photography, but I rely on my Nikon system for the features that Canon lacks; making the difference in moments of necessity.

Upvote 0

Kharan

R6, RP, bunch of lenses
Nov 9, 2018
Product differentiation. Canon ran the numbers and they believe their data suggests they will make more money by not having it in some lower level cameras than having it despite the fact that they know it will cost them some sales.

Basically if you were a potential 90D purchaser and now won't buy one because it doesn't have 24p then Canon believe they have a good estimate of your number and believe it would have cost them more revenue to leave it in.

It could well be true... and in that case, it would also speak badly of Canon’s user base. If they’re willing to pay more for an EOS R with less features, just to get 24p recording, for example, that’s a shame. Supporting deliberate and blatant crippling is a bridge too far, in my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Regarding frame rates, maybe they did exclude 24p, but maybe not. I have a hard time believing that the camera can only shoot 1080 at 120fps (nothing slower), and the only way to do 60 fps is in regular HD.

There is one frame rate listed per resolution. I would more suspect that maybe these are max frame rates per resolution and not a comprehensive list of all frame rates available - that would make some sense. Let's wait and see.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

I'm not convinced that it isn't in there to be honest. They only have one frame rate listed per resolution - that looks more like max frame rates per resolution rather than a comprehensive list of frame rates (which would make some sense). We'll see.

Upvote 0

Kharan

R6, RP, bunch of lenses
Nov 9, 2018
Regarding frame rates, maybe they did exclude 24p, but maybe not. I have a hard time believing that the camera can only shoot 1080 at 120fps (nothing slower), and the only way to do 60 fps is in regular HD.

There is one frame rate listed per resolution. I would more suspect that maybe these are max frame rates per resolution and not a comprehensive list of all frame rates available - that would make some sense. Let's wait and see.

I hope you’re correct :)

Upvote 0