Poll: Are you going to be preordering the Canon EOS 90D or Canon EOS M6 Mark II?

PeterT

EOS 80D
Jan 19, 2017
It's only about $40 to get a repair center to permanently adjust a lens that needs some adjustment. You should have got a 77D and used it instead of an 80D that has AFMA that you leave at home :(
Maybe that works in your country and your repair center...
Of course, I tried it back in about 2008 when I bought my 85 1.8 and 100 2.0. I supplied picture showing the problem. And they sent it back to me saying that it is "within the standards". So no luck with the proposed solution.
From that moment I wanted to have a camera with AF MA so that I can do it myself not relying on the good or bad mood (or good/bad skill) of a technician to which I even cannot directly speak to.

Upvote 0
The Canon Rumor's poll showed 60% not favor for mirrorless and non-DSLR camera system with 3779 voted included me. The problem with Canon for failure to continue with DSLR need for professional photographers. The R series system had been total failures with a lot of trouble-prone incidents for both camera and lenses. The 90D is good for moderate knowledge users but not for the professional level. The fact that Canon screwed up everything for the second times. The first time was in 1986 as they stopped with 42mm flange distance length to 44mm caused incompatible issues when they started with the EOS system. This incident caused enormous numbers of professional photographers left Canon for other brands. Now, tremendous numbers of professional photographers included me left Canon for other brands like the first incident. Canon must restore with professional-level DSLR system with improved EF lenses to keep continue with the business. Canon released two financial quarter report was a shocking loss. The third financial quarter report will not surprise with tremendous loss may lead to close the business. Nikon switched to the mirrorless camera with Z systems had the same incident with loss. Now, Nikon is in deep trouble with the financial situation may possibly close the business.
Canon's imaging business accounts for less than 25% of sales. Even if Canon's imaging business completely flopped I don't think you'd see closure of the company - you'd see restructuring. As photographers it's easy to forget that these companies dabble in a lot of industries and the performance of one product rarely dictates the future of a whole company.

Upvote 0
I'm well aware of this. But using an adapter is not ideal. It adds another
possible failure point to your setup and a bit more weight, in this case.

It's a substandard experience. I expect to attach a lens a shoot hassle free.
I have never heard of or experienced the Canon adapter failing. I have an adapter permanently attached to my 50 F1.8STM. The total size and weight is about the same as the 18-55 EF-M. It's a completely hassle free experience to attach the lens and shoot. Not at all substandard. It sounds like you are wildly guessing, without actually knowing what you are talking about. Not unusual for internet forums, I know.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
30 years with Canon and I have decided to sell all my Canon gear and move over to Sony.

AND

A professional grade camera is one that is also weather sealed and a camera can take a beating of daily use.

Sony? Weather sealed? This is how I know you're trolling.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
I have never heard of or experienced the Canon adapter failing. I have an adapter permanently attached to my 50 F1.8STM. The total size and weight is about the same as the 18-55 EF-M. It's a completely hassle free experience to attach the lens and shoot. Not at all substandard. It sounds like you are wildly guessing, without actually knowing what you are talking about. Not unusual for internet forums, I know.

They are very sturdy, but they inherently arent ideal in that I end up swapping around more than I like between the 35mm and my EF lenses, ie take off adapter, put on other EF lens, remove 35mm, put on lens. And have left it on the wrong lens after I left home. I ended up buying another of them.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I really hope Canon has stepped up their high iso noise performance on this sensor. They're severely lagging behind the likes of the D7500.

Are they now? :rolleyes:

Canon is not lagging on high ISO. And you're not going to see dramatic high ISO gains within a format from anyone. That said, I can understand the desire for Canon to remove AA filters even though personally I prefer a weak AA filter (weak > none > strong). If you were to sharpen the 80D to match (about 50% / 1.5px) then the noise would be a bit worse.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-22-at-3.00.38-PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 3.00.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 3.00.38 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
They are very sturdy, but they inherently arent ideal in that I end up swapping around more than I like between the 35mm and my EF lenses, ie take off adapter, put on other EF lens, remove 35mm, put on lens. And have left it on the wrong lens after I left home. I ended up buying another of them.
That's the trick. If there's an EF lens you use a lot on an M, just leave an adapter on it permanently. I was lucky to get an adapter bundled in with my original M purchase, and another with my M6 purchase, so I have two of them. The only EF lens I use a lot on my M6 is the 50 STM, so I keep one adapter on that (I don't use it on my 7DII), and the other one for the very occasional uses of other EF lenses. For the most part, I'm happy with EF-M lenses. I took a three week trip to Europe (Sweden, Denmark, England) this summer, and took my M6 with 22, 32, 18-150, and 11-22 in a pretty small case. They covered everything I needed, and I came back with a ton of great pictures. My 7DII is now reserved for sports, and the annual conference I organize in Colorado in August. I'm very interested in the M6II. Pretty much the only thing I wanted from the M5 on my M6 is touch and drag AF, and the M6II seems to have that. I love being able to shoot with or without the EVF, as I like it. With touch and drag AF added, I can't see any advantage to an M5 over an M6 (of course the M5II might have all kinds of extra bells and whistles when it comes).

Upvote 0

Congratulations on that.

I'll keep my EF/EF-S system until Canon forces me to give it up à la the great FD to EF schism.

Don't like to waste my time with adapters. But hey, if you're happy with your setup then all the better for ya.

Upvote 0
I don’t fully understand what canon is doing with its camera bodies right now
I will wait another year since I have a lot of L glass

I must admit I have an emotional attachment to the 7d line so i might be a bit hard to please

QUOTE="MR. Linde, post: 788999, member: 383607"]
In these days of mirrorless cameras and this maybe being the last Canon DSLR I was hoping for a 7D/80D on steroids which at least would match the Nikon D500. The 7DII´s AF is still better than this new 90D. Upgrading from the 80D for bird shooting seems pointless...guess I´ll go for the Nikon D500 then...will miss my EF 100-400mk.II though... If there is some mirrorless wonder in the making why even bother releasing this 90D??
[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
As I understand it the merging of the 7D with this camera line was only a rumour. And everyone is so mad that the camera announced doesn’t live up to the imagined version in their heads. That doesn’t seem fair to Canon when love it or hate it it seems like a decent upgrade to the XXD line.

Umm
Canon is a multi billion dollar company
They can release a roadmap and do things to set expectations to help their loyal customers

That’s what big companies do
So no I don’t feel sorry for them if some people are disappointed or confused

They seem to be in transition but aren’t being clear for whatever reason

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Umm
Canon is a multi billion dollar company
They can release a roadmap and do things to set expectations to help their loyal customers

That’s what big companies do
So no I don’t feel sorry for them if some people are disappointed or confused

They seem to be in transition but aren’t being clear for whatever reason

I was around tech most of my career and I can tell you companies seldom release road maps. Apple is much larger than Canon - can you please send me the copy of their roadmap? Not speculation, industry expectations, rumors, etc. A true, company published roadmap for their core product lines. Where are the roadmaps for Sony, Nikon, etc.?

Sorry, just a little tired of unrealistic expectations. According to the poll, it looks like 41% of the 4700 people have responded would buy the M6 II, 80d or both. These numbers do not include those who 1)would prefer the M5 II. 2) Happy with their current gear, 3) wouldn't buy a pre-order product, 4) waiting for the official spec sheet, 5) Waiting for the price to drop after introduction, etc. I think Canon would be pretty happy with this response when they add in new buyers, marketing campaigns, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
They are defs behind when it comes to high iso noise especially when it comes to low light colour noise. Take this example.

Where did you get that example? It looks nothing like the following from this page: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-80d-review/11

The exposure and the file sizes are clearly different. Did you grab a heavily pushed sample from one of the exposure latitude or ISO invariance pages? That was my first thought except the drop down menus are from the Image Quality page. And clicking over to those pages, I can't see a sample that looks like yours for either camera.

Edit: never mind, you switched to the "low lighting" view. I'll address this in another post.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 10.19.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 10.19.45 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
They are defs behind when it comes to high iso noise especially when it comes to low light colour noise. Take this example.

I've downloaded both RAWs. It's frustrating but I can't reproduce what dpreview shows in your screenshot. Either both images are worse (all NR off) or both are much better (25 LNR and CNR), and as I move the sliders around I can't get an exact match. This is probably due to different versions of ACR.

With all NR off the Nikon file does look much better in terms of color noise even though it has more color noise than in your screen shot. However, if I put both at 25 CNR then neither file has any color noise, and a setting of 25 is well below the point of any degradation to the file.

The Nikon file also has less luminance noise but the difference isn't as dramatic. If the Nikon file is at 25 LNR then the Canon file needs to be at 35 or 40 to match. Hard to match exactly because the exposure and contrast are not identical, and neither are the dimensions, but I'm looking at 200% views on a 4k monitor. At any regular print size the differences would be invisible.

In low key areas I'll give you that the one year newer D7500 sensor does a bit better. But Canon is not "severely" behind because the difference wouldn't amount to more than 0.3 or 0.5 of a stop. It's also a difference which is unlikely to survive post processing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0