Canon to announce EOS-1D X equivalent EOS R system camera in 2021?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'm not really a wildlife shooter, unless you consider linebackers wildlife. But, I recently bought an EF 400mm f/2.8 and used it shooting theater on both my 1DXii and my R, and also took it to the zoo with my R attached for some "wildlife" shooting. I did not notice any issues with focussing whatsoever. Any limitations I have sensed with speed have been due to the limitations of the R body, not the adapter/lens. Having said that, I was extremely happy with my zoo pictures. Focus was amazing and detail on some birds was stellar.
Shooting in a zoo is to wild life shooting like shooting in a waxworks museum is to shooting a football match.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
I do, both purchased within the last few months.
I bought the 1d mkiv in May-2019 and the 80d in July 2019

We have a fantastic brick and mortar store nearby and they have a used section.
the 1d mk4 had 14k clicks on it and it looked like it was nearly factory fresh.

Previous to taking up Photography as a full time hobby, I had the T2i that my wife bought me as a wedding present.
That thing racked up alot of air miles from her dragging me around the planet. fast forward to last November, i was itching to get a new camera. Thus the Eos R was purchased over the Sony and Nikon offerings. The 1d iv and the 80d were spur of the moment purchases very recently due to their condition and super low cost. :)

That's awesome! I bought the T3i and a couple lenses shortly before I got married, because I wanted a real camera to take on our honeymoon. Ended up keeping that camera for a long time, even though I hated its low-light performance. I just couldn't get a decent picture indoors without having all the lights on or using a flash. Then, in 2018, I started looking for a new body. I really wanted a 5D Mk IV, but I couldn't justify the price. So I was planning to get the 6D Mk II. Then, the R was announced. Waited for some reviews...bought it...and have been in love ever since. Indoor shots are a breeze now. ISO performance is so far beyond the T3i, I don't even know how to compare the two.

Which leads me to a question I have for you. I've wondered if the indoor shooting problem I experienced with my T3i was due to the sensor's general capabilities, or the sensor size (APS-C). Since you have an 80D, have you been able to take better indoor shots with that, over your T2i?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I shoot birds as a hobby. My experience with long EF lenses (both zoom and primes) on R body with adapter has been excellent and they work even better than native RF zoom lenses. The focus is fast and snappy. The EOS-R camera itself may not have fast frame rate yet but I expect the high frame rate version or pro version can remove this issue. Using long EF lenses on R body with adapter is the least to worry about.
That's very good news to hear!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
All I want is a Canon with Sony specs...not much to ask for...
No, with a comment like that with no backstory of how the limited feature set of your Canon is hold you back you are trolling. Buy a Sony tape over the name and write Canon on it with a sharpie, apparently that is all you have to do for bulls!t to become 'truth'.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
All I want is a Canon with Sony specs...not much to ask for...

Do you really want Sony specs or a select few? Because if you want Sony specs why not buy Sony? There must be something Canon has that Sony doesn't holding you back.

EDIT: Private beat me to it. Bottom line there are no perfect cameras. I prefer the compromises you have to endure with Canon.

Upvote 0
No, with a comment like that with no backstory of how the limited feature set of your Canon is hold you back you are trolling. Buy a Sony tape over the name and write Canon on it with a sharpie, apparently that is all you have to do for bulls!t to become 'truth'.
# sharpiegate

Upvote 0
Nov 29, 2018
A possible strategy for Canon introducing new bodies in time for the Tokyo Olympics is to concentrate on an RF version of the 5Div, upgraded to 2020 standards. This would entail a 40-50 MP with performance similar to the M6ii and 90D and say 10 FPS. IBIS or not, makes no difference to me personally but it could be a useful feature for the harried professional in a crowded arena.

A camera like this could be paired with the 1DXiii for photographers at the Olympics as the second camera and teamed with the RF Trinity lenses. If not much bigger than the current R this could be the star of the show. Nikon already has something similar going with either the Z6 or Z7 and their trinity lenses paired with the D6.

All of those people working the Olympics are going to be carrying a big lens with at long telephoto and a 1DXiii or D6, or the older versions, and a second body and possible a third with trinity lenses. The weight and size reduction to RF or Z camera sizes would be greatly appreaciated by those working the events. High performance focus systems (eyes) would be too.

And once the Olympics are done a camera of this nature could find a home in many a wedding, event, news, and advanced hobbyist photographer's bag.

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
That's awesome! I bought the T3i and a couple lenses shortly before I got married, because I wanted a real camera to take on our honeymoon. Ended up keeping that camera for a long time, even though I hated its low-light performance. I just couldn't get a decent picture indoors without having all the lights on or using a flash. Then, in 2018, I started looking for a new body. I really wanted a 5D Mk IV, but I couldn't justify the price. So I was planning to get the 6D Mk II. Then, the R was announced. Waited for some reviews...bought it...and have been in love ever since. Indoor shots are a breeze now. ISO performance is so far beyond the T3i, I don't even know how to compare the two.

Which leads me to a question I have for you. I've wondered if the indoor shooting problem I experienced with my T3i was due to the sensor's general capabilities, or the sensor size (APS-C). Since you have an 80D, have you been able to take better indoor shots with that, over your T2i?

I think your issues may have had something to do with the lenses you may have been using. If using the standard kit lens, they were not the best for dim lighting situations. I had purchased the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 for my T2i and I don't recall low light issues much, but then again, I did equip it with a 430 EX II flash as needed.

With my 80, I tend to use a sigma 35mm F 1.4 Art and an older Sigma DG EX 50mm F1.4 with it and low light is fine.
Having said that, if I mess around with my Sigma 100-400 f 5-6.3 C lens in low light, its baaaad on the 80d. Iso begs for mercy.

Its a given though that a full size sensor will have better low light capabilities, in general, than a crop sensor.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
A lot of you guys who enjoy pooping all over everyone else aren’t any better than the trolls or *gasp* people who don’t cite empirical evidence for every opinion, thought or claim.

I’m embarrassed myself to have done the same a few times on here. But I’ve noticed some you just scan every thread looking for easy targets to crap all over and bait into a debate.

This is a rumors website. Absolute facts and evidence aren’t exactly the staple of a rumor.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
I think your issues may have had something to do with the lenses you may have been using. If using the standard kit lens, they were not the best for dim lighting situations. I had purchased the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 for my T2i and I don't recall low light issues much, but then again, I did equip it with a 430 EX II flash as needed.

With my 80, I tend to use a sigma 35mm F 1.4 Art and an older Sigma DG EX 50mm F1.4 with it and low light is fine.
Having said that, if I mess around with my Sigma 100-400 f 5-6.3 C lens in low light, its baaaad on the 80d. Iso begs for mercy.

Its a given though that a full size sensor will have better low light capabilities, in general, than a crop sensor.

OK, good to know. Thanks for the input. Main reason I wanted to switch to full-frame was for low light.

I don't think it was the lenses, because I quickly learned the kits lenses suck. Using a nifty fifty in low light at f/1.8 and ISO 800 gave me okay shots...if not a bit grainy. 24mm f/2.8 and 60mm f/2.8...same deal, but 1-1/3 stop worse. I'd say maybe it was my methods, but...going past ISO 800 made images total crap, and I primarily shot in aperature priority, leaving the shutter speed up to the camera. Not sure what else I could have done. Attach a flash, and boom...beautiful shots. With the R...pssh...I can take a shot at F/4, ISO 6400 indoors with one lamp on, and it's gorgeous.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Personally, I feel if they plan to launch the 1DX ii replacement next year, then it's logical that they would wait a year before trying to pitch a mirrorless version of it to essentially the same audience / buyers. The plan must be to hope that a 1dX iii buyer will also buy the mirrorless version a year later as a back up body and a toe in to the mirrorless world....

I think that makes sense. Even Sony with all their advances in sensor design have not yet brought out a camera that has professionals changing in large numbers which suggests that mirrorless still has issues at some level. I am finding it difficult to believe that Canon would bring out a 'mirrorless 1Dx' with the proviso 'this is the advance you have been waiting for but it will not perform as well as your 5 year old 1Dx2'.
However, a 1Dx3 DSLR would have pros upgrading pretty quickly and, as you say, launching the mirrorless version as a back up with specific mirrorless-based advantages of its own.

Upvote 0