Canon officially announces the EOS R100 and RF 28mm f/2.8 STM

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Thanks for that comment. I suppose @AIP delivered the answer.

But even if those are "precision plastic molded" I'd guess the process is more complex than producing the old pancakes.
If not, I'd like to see the IQ results here and take my hat off to the engineers who have this process under control. (y)
Producing such complex molds in high precision is far from easy...

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Well, nothing for me to get excited about unfortunately...

I wish Canon would release lenses in the "more than 1 grand but less than 10 grands" niche bracket. Where's the RF 35 f/1.2L? That one I would buy. Not this 28mm (don't want it) nor the recent big exotic whites (can't until divorce becomes an option ;) )
On a related note, given a recent average of 6-7 RF lenses per year since R was born, since in 2023 we've had 4 so far + the possibility of the 200-500 f/4L, that would leave room for 1-3 additional lenses announcements before 2024. I don't know what are the latest rumors but I sure hope that my preciousss will make the cut in 2023 :love:

The R100 is too compromised for me :cautious: . I am actually looking for an entry-level R camera for my daughter but not this one. Maybe a R10 or even a R8 since I only have FF lenses to share with her and the current RF-S offerings are not something that convinces me. I am a big believer that you need 2 dials to control the camera to learn well. From what I see neither the R100 nor the R50 have them and I used to hate the ergonomics of Rebels (I had a 350D but I did not know what I was missing till I moved to a 20D - hoping I am not dating myself :ROFLMAO: ). Also not a fan of losing the capabilities of the DIGIC X processor for AF and better movie functions. Also no touchscreen seems strange given the target market (as far as I understand it)... Pity since the size and cost do appeal to me for this particular use case (as in "don't care much if my daughter totals it"), 24mp is fine and speed is fine as well and I like having a viewfinder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I love this site:

"No touch screen!" The camera is crap!

"No flip screen!" The camera is crap!

I'm surprised no one is complaining about no dual card slots, (For the thick-headed that is sarcasm)

It's a mirrorless camera with a viewfinder that has a price at introduction under $500. It's not a camera targeted at anyone who reads Canon Rumors. It is probably the first of a number of Rebel successors at various price points. These cameras are sold by price, not features. Buyers pick the camera that fits their price point. Some may scale up a bit so they aren't buying the cheapest camera. Others can only afford the cheapest camera.

Expect to see lots of these two lens kits at Sam's Club, Costco, etc., at Christmas time.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I am a big believer that you need 2 dials to control the camera to learn well. From what I see neither the R100 nor the R50 have them and I used to hate the ergonomics of Rebels (I had a 350D but I did not know what I was missing till I moved to a 20D - hoping I am not dating myself :ROFLMAO: )
Depends on whether or not you count the control ring on the lens as a 'dial'. At the risk of dating myself more than you, I shot plenty of pictures with a 'control ring' on the lens... it was called an aperture ring. Back in those days the ISO was harder to change (I recall the innovation when they started encoding the ISO on the outside of the sensor canister, early 80s I think).

Today, a camera like the R50 or R100 could be set to Auto ISO, shutter speed on the main dial and aperture on the lens control ring. The R8 does have two dials on the top, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I cannot believe my eyes! Canon made a mirrorless camera without an awful floppy screen! YES! I am buying this thing. Now if we could get a fixed or tilting on the R1 please.

You can just leave the flip screen folded and it works like a fixed screen. Don't understand the appeal of not having a feature.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Depends on whether or not you count the control ring on the lens as a 'dial'. At the risk of dating myself more than you, I shot plenty of pictures with a 'control ring' on the lens... it was called an aperture ring. Back in those days the ISO was harder to change (I recall the innovation when they started encoding the ISO on the outside of the sensor canister, early 80s I think).

Today, a camera like the R50 or R100 could be set to Auto ISO, shutter speed on the main dial and aperture on the lens control ring. The R8 does have two dials on the top, though.
You're right - I did not think about that and my feeble excuse is that I never use the control ring on my RF lenses... totally happy with the 3-dials operations of my R5 (which I use in M all the time). And some of the cheaper RF lenses have the control ring which does double duty for MF as well, which is something I am not a fan of.
In any case this does bring the R50 back in the fray I guess. The R100's DIGIC 8 and lack of articulated touchscreen still bother me way too much.

Hey I used some adapted film lenses on my 5D ages ago :LOL: Loved the idea and the feeling but ultimately it was very cumbersome compared to modern (at that time) EF lenses. Could be better now given how much better it is to MF on R cameras as opposed to EF ones

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
No touch screen just blows my mind. It’s hard to pursued a phone photographer to not touch the screen constantly, so I don’t think this will sit very well. Perhaps their goal was to make the M50 look even better, which is what they accomplished. Haha

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
No touch screen just blows my mind. It’s hard to pursued a phone photographer to not touch the screen constantly, so I don’t think this will sit very well. Perhaps their goal was to make the M50 look even better, which is what they accomplished. Haha
I live adjacent to a park that is a popular spot for engagement and graduation photographers of the iPhone generation. Most seem to hold the camera so they can compose using the rear screen but shoot using the shutter button, which I suspect also activates autofocus. Have not seen anyone touching the rear screen but maybe some do.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Nothing like a Digic 8 camera with worse specs and a worse pancake lens to convince me to migrate from my M6 II!

Thanks Canon!
And no one believes that you - or anyone else - will migrate from an intermediate level camera to the most basic beginner level camera. So, we'll just assume this post is another typical Canon bashing post.

Thanks Kit!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I live adjacent to a park that is a popular spot for engagement and graduation photographers of the iPhone generation. Most seem to hold the camera so they can compose using the rear screen but shoot using the shutter button, which I suspect also activates autofocus. Have not seen anyone touching the rear screen but maybe some do.
definitely some do touch the screen.... from what I have seen, it is mostly to change the metering to the backgound eg sky so it doesn't blow out/retain colours. Not so much for focus as most phones track faces okay.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I am referring to the fact the entire current generation has become accustomed to using their touch screen for controlling their phone, pinching and zooming photos they've taken, swiping through them, changing camera functions, etc. You have never seen anyone touching their rear screen? Do they just throw their phones out after they take the photo? haha No, they press the screen and then look at the last photo they took and probably swipe through the last shots.

Upvote 0