Canon officially announces the EOS R100 and RF 28mm f/2.8 STM

Linteria

EF-M Evangelist
Oct 23, 2020
Canon Cripple Hammer strikes again, and I don't even mind. They're not cannibalizing EFM at all with these releases, which is a good thing. But it's a little shocking to see them omit touch functionality on a camera that costs the same as an M200. Viewfinder is way less important than the touch screen on this kind of compact camera. And i don't get why they insist on using the same style for all new bodies, can't even tell them apart.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
From the article for context:
"The Canon EOS R100 camera was designed for new, first-time mirrorless camera or existing interchangeable camera users who previously enjoyed EOS Rebel or EOS M cameras"

Very glad that it has an EVF. Depending on the sensor IQ, this could well be a decent substitute for the M5 as a small and compact camera that can be kept in a pocket (when paired with a pencake lens). It does lack key functionalities that an M5/6 offer though.

I'm somewhat in agreement with you, but I don't agree with the above sentence from the announcement that it was designed for previous EOS M and Rebel users. There's nothing enticing me to part with my M5 in favour of this. New users, yes, existing canon users? .... meh, maybe not so much,

Upvote 0

AlP

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2018
Nice pancake lens with a lot af aspheric magic happening inside:
1684915075605.png
I also would have preferred a wider focal length to get close to 35 mm on APS-C bodies, but for those Canon might do an RF-S version of the EF-M 22 mm.

The R100 won't be on my personal list, but $200 less than the R50 might be sufficient to get others into the system. Not sure about what they will think when they realise that there is no touch screen, for someone upgrading from a smartphone that might be a showstopper in terms of usability.
Maybe it's a built-in incentive to upgrade to the R50 or R10? On the other hand, Sony also had a pretty botched touchscreen implementation and many seemed to be fine with it...

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon Cripple Hammer strikes again, and I don't even mind. They're not cannibalizing EFM at all with these releases, which is a good thing. But it's a little shocking to see them omit touch functionality on a camera that costs the same as an M200. Viewfinder is way less important than the touch screen on this kind of compact camera. And i don't get why they insist on using the same style for all new bodies, can't even tell them apart.

Well, every EOS M product is now discontinued. We'll get RF-S versions of the 22 and 11-22.... I'm not sure about the 32.

This camera is still going to sell extremely well. I'd still push people to the R50 if they can save the extra pennies....

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
And even if so, in factory settings of the body (R6m2) the MF function is deactivated, and you'll have to find the menu item first ;)
I've managed to enable MF mode on my R8 a few times now and I keep getting confused after attaching AF lenses. The MF mode toggle is now in a My Menu to make it easier to both spot and change.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
The lenses will certainly be important to this body's success. But, in following the form factor etc of the M50 II, this tells us that Canon's plans for the M mount bodies is to transition them into APS-C R mount bodies, and presumably to 'rationalise' (ie reduce) the number and variety. Over what period of time, no-one knows except the bean-counters in Canon head office. It was probably inevitable, given the ongoing popularity of the M series (especially in kits with lenses), and the cost of maintaining parallel mounts going forward.
They just released a whole new V series. Canon hasn't reduced. With that EVF hump there's still no compact RF mount yet to replace the 32.5mp M6 mk 2

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Oc-e4 is quite expensive and for most people getting ST-E10 is going to better option. That off shoe cable can be useful for video folk as it allows to use accesories other than flashes off the shoe.
Canon OC-E4A Off-Camera Multi-Function Shoe Cord (2.6') https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...01_oc_e4a_off_camera_multi_function_shoe.html
Still surprised by this. SMH.

Not surprised it wasn’t mentioned in the announcement, it has nothing really to do with the R100.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Do you have a source for that? I don't remember reading a post on here saying every EOS M product was discontinued?
Every retailer order book. I have posted multiple articles as they have slowly discontinued products in the line. The M50 Mark II was the finale.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0