Canon officially announces the EOS R100 and RF 28mm f/2.8 STM

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Will be a nice lens for travel paired with the R8. Not for my next trip, since it ships too late, so I won’t preorder it. [...]
I'm hoping the "July 2023" means early July :) Since this seems to be a lot better suited for family vacations than the RF35 (price, FoV, size) I've pre-ordered it. The store where I did that is pretty much along the way to the ferry, so that would allow for optimizing out 2 days.

The RF24-50 did well on the previous vacation, but I'm considering going the 16/28/85 route. The 16+28 would fit inside the RF85STM lens hood :) And the R5+100-500, I managed to get decent seal, milvus and dragonfly images and video during previous visits.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Will these also take ef lenses like the ef-s cameras did? I assume so.
The RF-mount is a lot better for that, compared to EF: All EF/EF-S/RF/RF-S lenses will work on every RF-mount body. So you can use crop lenses on FF bodies, which you couldn't do with the EF bodies. The mirror on FF bodies would snag on the back of EF-S lenses, which isn't an issue for mirrorless bodies :)

Upvote 0
That must be wrong, the specification table on Canon Japan's site (https://cweb.canon.jp/eos/rf/lineup/rf28-f28/spec.html) indicates that minimum aperture is f/22.
Must be pretty small aperture blades given the small primary element!

28mm is not for vlogging purposes on APS-C sensors so I guess more for ff lenses or maybe for walk around ~50mm on APS-C bodies. The RF16/2.8 would work better for vloggers or maybe a future repackage from EF-M22mm.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I think it's quite logical dat Canon released this camera. But, I was hoping for a model like the M6 with an 22mm lens. That camera fits your pocket easily and could serve as a back up camera in the camera bag. The R100 is a bit too big for that.
I still prefer the original M form factor, that packed a lot of features (hot shoe!) into a tiny body. The M6II is very chunky compared to that. But I much prefer the M6II body over the M50/R50/R100.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

kmrahe

EOS M50 Mark II
Feb 2, 2023
I read this doesn't even have a touch screen! C'mon even the original m used to have a good one!
Perhaps that's why they discontinued M line. It offered so many good things in a small package. Apparantly they took it as a personal insult and went Texas road of the bigger the better!
This is starting to sound like a story from a completely different kind of product that occurred several years ago. A good friend had found a model of fishing reel that was very good for its price. It was even more highly regarded than more expensive models from the same manufacturer. Those who were familiar with them bought additional copies whenever they had the chance. After a while, however, the manufacturer "wised up" and quit making them, and the combination of value and quality at its price point would not be repeated.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
This above is the headline for me (aside from the pancake lens, which is really the headline, of course). Many of us expected the R100 to *not* have an EVF, as that was often the way they'd degrade the lower-end models for their line-up.
Canon zigged this time instead of zagging. They doinked the touch display, but gave the EVF.

The logic behind this is interesting. Possibilities:
- People using touch display are heavy into phone photography, and they're not the big available market now among noobs. The ones willing to jump into the interchangeable lens market are looking to be more deliberate with photography.
- The touch screen feature really is a significant cost savings
- EVF-as-option way to go confused consumers back in the M-mount days and caused the price perceptions to be non-competitive when they factored in the external EVF

"The touch screen feature really is a significant cost savings"

I find that really hard to believe considering even a $100 phone offers a pretty good touchscreen. I see it more like a differentiator so that people just spend more for the R50.

Upvote 0
"The rear screen is fixed and there is no touchscreen" -DPR

It also has the same poor 4K specs as old M models:

"4K movie recording: Contrast AF" (No DPAF)
"high-res 4K from the central area of the sensor at 24 frames per second." (Cropped 4K)

I would rather have the discontinued M100. At least that had a flip-up touchscreen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

kmrahe

EOS M50 Mark II
Feb 2, 2023
The RF-mount is a lot better for that, compared to EF: All EF/EF-S/RF/RF-S lenses will work on every RF-mount body. So you can use crop lenses on FF bodies, which you couldn't do with the EF bodies. The mirror on FF bodies would snag on the back of EF-S lenses, which isn't an issue for mirrorless bodies :)
The problem is that unless the sensor of FF you're "upgrading" to has at least twice the pixel count of the APS-C camera you're coming from, your RF-S (or EF-S) lens won't provide nearly as much detail on the FF as it did on your old camera. Because of that, to me the fact that a FF can use an RF-S/EF-S lens seems little more than a marketing gimmick.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The problem is that unless the sensor of FF you're "upgrading" to has at least twice the pixel count of the APS-C camera you're coming from, your RF-S lens won't provide nearly as much detail on the FF as it did on your old camera. Because of that, to me the fact that a FF can use an RF-S lens seems little more than a marketing gimmick.
Agreed, but I’ll take gimmick over cracked mirror :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

kmrahe

EOS M50 Mark II
Feb 2, 2023

"high-res 4K from the central area of the sensor at 24 frames per second." (Cropped 4K)

I would rather have the discontinued M100. At least that had a flip-up touchscreen.
When I bought my M50 a year ago all I knew that I wanted when I started looking for a camera was interchangeable lenses and a viewfinder at a low price (I was hoping around $500-600 with at least one lens), so I think Canon is smart to put out a low-priced camera with those features. I didn't know anything about touchscreen vs. not or flip-out/up screens, and I wasn't even considering using it for video, since I already had what I thought was a good "HD" video camera (which turned out not to be compared to the M50's 1080p capabilities). I started out looking at the T7. Luckily I found pretty quickly that it's based on some rather old technology and started looking at other models, which eventually led me to discover the difference between DSLR and mirrorless. Once I decided I wanted the latter, I skipped right over the M200, even though it was closer to my target price point, because it had no EVF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Should DPR's biased opinion even matter? Please don't be fooled by those guys and actually try the camera, you can always return it. So glad DPR is shutting down.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Not so, the M50 with the single kit lens is still selling in Japan.
The double lens kit was recently discontinued.

Having stock at the retail level is not the same thing. Really... Would you EOS M people give it up.

• Haha
Upvote 0