Canon to announce EOS-1D X equivalent EOS R system camera in 2021?

D

Deleted member 378875

First off, where did I quote “IBIS”?

Second of all, if you use Tony as a reliable source I’m out. Time and time again he’s just so off the mark it’s just sad.

When I have about 97 shots out of 100 in any given setting dead on sharp on the eyes no matter subject, light or situation how can that be significantly worse than anything? Sony’s are not always 100% hit, I’ve seen that a lot of times. I also see that people have a VERY different idea what critically sharp is, I’m the picky one.

All of these claims from Tony and others that don’t like the R is seriously fake news, or as likely, they haven’t used them enough to figure out how to get the optimal result. One example is DPReview that always leave a camera at default and then complain. Useless.

If the R doesn’t meet your needs or of someone doesn’t like it, fine, I have no problem with that. But when they lie to make that point I have a problem with that.

I think calling Tony Northrup a liar in public is going way too far.

You could even be open to legal action.

Can you actually highlight a single definite lie told by Tony Northrup ?

Before you answer can I suggest you use a dictionary to make sure you know what a lie is.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
First off, where did I quote “IBIS”?

Second of all, if you use Tony as a reliable source I’m out. Time and time again he’s just so off the mark it’s just sad.

When I have about 97 shots out of 100 in any given setting dead on sharp on the eyes no matter subject, light or situation how can that be significantly worse than anything? Sony’s are not always 100% hit, I’ve seen that a lot of times. I also see that people have a VERY different idea what critically sharp is, I’m the picky one.

All of these claims from Tony and others that don’t like the R is seriously fake news, or as likely, they haven’t used them enough to figure out how to get the optimal result. One example is DPReview that always leave a camera at default and then complain. Useless.

If the R doesn’t meet your needs or of someone doesn’t like it, fine, I have no problem with that. But when they lie to make that point I have a problem with that.
These people are nuts. They watch YouTube videos and then become experts concerning a product they have never even touched. My hit rate is so incredibly high I can hardly believe it. I know nothing about the 5D Mark IV (So I rightly keep my mouth shut about it), but my ex-5D Mark III could never come close to the R. Comparing an old M5 to the R just seems silly to me. Tony won "Sexiest Geek Alive" in 2000 (lol), but that doesn't mean he knows anything. I think the viewfinder is plenty fast and very high resolution. While IBIS would be cool, I've lived without it and without IS on many lenses (EF 35mm f/1.4L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, EF 400mm f/5.6L, and over 40 MF vintage lenses.).

Viggo, I knew the R didn't have IBIS when I bought it. You did too. We decided to buy anyway. That was our decision, and from what I gather, we are happy as Larks. It amazes me that people watch YouTube and are then experts. Really, the cad should just go buy the Sony he really wants.. Either way, he won't be any better a photographer no matter what feature is or is not in a camera. If his 5D Mark IV is so great, then why is he even arguing against the R to begin with? Hmmmm... maybe he looks at spec sheets and sees where the R beats the 5D Mark IV in so many categories and costs far less? Does the 5D Mark IV have IBIS?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
I met a guy a couple of weeks ago that had just bought his first ever camera (even he didn’t consider a phone to be a camera!) an EOS 800D, (y) therefore I can prove a 50% increase in Canon ILC camera sales! * :rolleyes:

*in the hide at Alverstone where there were only the two of us at the time of the conversation.

Cheers, Graham.
= sarcasm off=

I referred above, as I nearly always do, to the relative market shares for interchangeable lens cameras (“ILC market share”). Canon has maintained a ~49% share of the ILC market for the past few years, up from ~48% a few years ago, up from ~44% a decade ago. Canon’s ILC market share is relatively simple to estimate, since Canon publishes their unit sales data with their financials and CIPA publishes production and shipment data for the ILC market as a whole (I use ‘estimate’ because units sold are not identical to units produced/shipped, but they are likely to be approximately equivalent).

You are referring to and citing articles discussing digital camera market share, i.e. ILCs and compact cameras (aka point-and-shoot) combined. Given the nature of our discussions on this forum in general and my points in particular, considering the P&S market (which is essentially losing out to smartphones) is not logical. More importantly, I explicitly (and repeatedly) stated above, “ILC market share,” rendering your statements based on total digital camera market share tangential and useless as counterarguments. Ironic that you accuse me of intellectual dishonestly when it is, in fact, you being intellectually dishonest.

I’m sorry that you either don’t comprehend the terminology relevant to the discussion or are simply unable to read properly, but either way that’s really your problem, not mine.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I think, to be fair, its only natural that when we who have invested heavily in Canon equipment, and love it, cannot help but be very envious when we see that Sony are bringing out features which would improve our photographs and our experience of taking them.

IBIS

Eye detect - even in continuous focus mode

Stunning 5 megapixel, low latency EVF
showing exposure before taking the shot
allowing the user see the photograph just taken even in bright sunlight

I for one would love those features and it *hurts* that I'm going to have to wait for maybe 2 or 3 years until they are built into a Canon camera which is the same price as a 5D4 retails for today.

So, its only natural that people groan ... I'm with the groaners .. because I'm normal :)
Yup, normal because you think features in a camera body will improve your photographs. They won't.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

These people are nuts. They watch YouTube videos and then become experts concerning a product they have never even touched. My hit rate is so incredibly high I can hardly believe it. I know nothing about the 5D Mark IV (So I rightly keep my mouth shut about it), but my ex-5D Mark III could never come close to the R. Comparing an old M5 to the R just seems silly to me. Tony won "Sexiest Geek Alive" in 2000 (lol), but that doesn't mean he knows anything. I think the viewfinder is plenty fast and very high resolution. While IBIS would be cool, I've lived without it and without IS on many lenses (EF 35mm f/1.4L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, EF 400mm f/5.6L, and over 40 MF vintage lenses.).

Viggo, I knew the R didn't have IBIS when I bought it. You did too. We decided to buy anyway. That was our decision, and from what I gather, we are happy as Larks. It amazes me that people watch YouTube and are then experts. Really, the cad should just go buy the Sony he really wants.. Either way, he won't be any better a photographer no matter what feature is or is not in a camera. If his 5D Mark IV is so great, then why is he even arguing against the R to begin with? Hmmmm... maybe he looks at spec sheets and sees where the R beats the 5D Mark IV in so many categories and costs far less? Does the 5D Mark IV have IBIS?

i am a hobbyist not a professional and a hobby which is only 4 years old at that

Whilst im sure professionals have no need to rely on advice - those of us with little experience really value the advice and information we get from internet reviews and tutorials

I follow people line Tony Northrup, Thomas Heaton, Dustin Abbot and Jared Polin and believe all of them to be honourable people with integrity and experience upon which I can rely. Rarely do they dramatically disagree with each other which lends credibility.

My point is simple - that Sony are clearly ahead of Canon and have features which I would like to have

As much as im tempted to buy a Sony body im not at all convinced that adapting my EF glass is an ideal solution and I don't have the financial resources to switch to Sony glass

So I have to wait until Canon catch up

Perhaps I am being over cautious and the R is a wonderful camera but is there anyone out there who has tested the A7R 3 and 4 against the Eos R and is seriously saying the EOS R has eye AF which is just as good ? Or a comparable viewfinder ?

And I would very very much like IBIS for my primes in low light

Calm down ... It's just one man's opinion about why im waiting and frustrated - no need to let your personality become monstrous !

Upvote 0

Srit67

It was a good run Canon
Mar 12, 2019
For reals. All he has to buy is the Sony body and adapt his EF glass.
Yeah I tried that also the result is I'm now selling a 400 f2.8 IS II cause it tracks like shite with the MC11. I got tired of Canon always behind with the bodies eventually sold everything and now happier than ever. Maybe if I was a professional sports shooter I would have kept my 1Dx MII simply for durability but the thing is a tank and is not practical to carry around.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

Yup, normal because you think features in a camera body will improve your photographs. They won't.
Well I beg to differ

Welcome to the modern world of autofocus

In the real world most people use auto focus

And if one camera nails the focus and another fails then im confident that the first camera will take better pictures

No matter how great the subject and composition it's very disappointed to find that just when your model/wife/son/daughter had a lovely smile on their face the camera missed focus

Honestly I do wonder sometimes why people are so narrow minded

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
i am a hobbyist not a professional and a hobby which is only 4 years old at that

Whilst im sure professionals have no need to rely on advice - those of us with little experience really value the advice and information we get from internet reviews and tutorials

I follow people line Tony Northrup, Thomas Heaton, Dustin Abbot and Jared Polin and believe all of them to be honourable people with integrity and experience upon which I can rely. Rarely do they dramatically disagree with each other which lends credibility.

My point is simple - that Sony are clearly ahead of Canon and have features which I would like to have

As much as im tempted to buy a Sony body im not at all convinced that adapting my EF glass is an ideal solution and I don't have the financial resources to switch to Sony glass

So I have to wait until Canon catch up

Perhaps I am being over cautious and the R is a wonderful camera but is there anyone out there who has tested the A7R 3 and 4 against the Eos R and is seriously saying the EOS R has eye AF which is just as good ? Or a comparable viewfinder ?

And I would very very much like IBIS for my primes in low light

Calm down ... It's just one man's opinion about why im waiting and frustrated - no need to let your personality become monstrous !
I am also a hobbyist with very limited funds. Dustin Abbott is the greatest, in my opinion. However, I worked today with a guy that went from Canon to Sony. He adapted his EF glass. Now he's switching back to the R. My point was that no camera will make our photos better. You should go down to the local shop and see whether you like the feel of the Sony in your hands and see if you can live with that, their abysmal service, and horrible menus.

The 5D Mark IV is a nice camera. I don't see that you'd be in a rush either way. I disagree that Sony is ahead of Canon. Especially when it comes to glass, ergonomics, and service. I get very nice photos from the R, but not because it is the R. ;)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Well I beg to differ

And if one camera nails the focus and another fails then im confident that the first camera will take better pictures

No matter how great the subject and composition it's very disappointed to find that just when your model/wife/son/daughter had a lovely smile on their face the camera missed focus

Well, I own an R. The AF is spectacular. You don't own an R and neither does Tony. Who's narrow minded? Wow.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

Well I beg to differ

I might add that IBIS results in less noise in low light hand held situations too ...

Again - better picture quality

To me photography isn't a competitive sport - it's not about how great I am

It's about taking good pictures and if a camera can help improve my images then that's a good thing from my point of view

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

Well, I own an R. The AF is spectacular. You don't own an R and neither does Tony. Who's narrow minded? Wow.

If R AF is spectacular then that's a great thing and that's why im reading stuff on this forum

Im looking forward to people telling me that the Canon IBIS and viewfinder is also spectacular too

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012

The AF is getting updated on the R in September, the 'before' in this video shows how its not necessarily 'spectacular' but its also of course trying to show the improvement is as big as possible.

There have been a few updates regarding AF, so any comments by anyone should be checked for dates to see how relevant they are now.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

How does IBIS lower noise?

Correct me if im wrong but if im taking a picture indoors with a wide open aperture then IBIS will allow the shutter to open for longer and more photons will arrive at the sensor as a result, thus requiring less signal amplification (ISO) and hence less noise

Obviously it is conditional on my subject remaining still

I haven't actually used a camera with IBIS but I find the lens stabilization on my relatively new Canon EF 85 1.4L IS has allowed me to take pictures with significantly longer exposure times and I've been very happy with the images ... I have sigma 50mm and 135mm art lenses and would love to be able to benefit from IBIS stabilization in the same way

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Correct me if im wrong but if im taking a picture indoors with a wide open aperture then IBIS will allow the shutter to open for longer and more photons will arrive at the sensor as a result, thus requiring less signal amplification (ISO) and hence less noise

Obviously it is conditional on my subject remaining still

I haven't actually used a camera with IBIS but I find the lens stabilization on my relatively new Canon EF 85 1.4L IS has allowed me to take pictures with significantly longer exposure times and I've been very happy with the images ... I have sigma 50mm and 135mm art lenses and would love to be able to benefit from IBIS stabilization in the same way
I see what you are getting at.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

The AF is getting updated on the R in September, the 'before' in this video shows how its not necessarily 'spectacular' but its also of course trying to show the improvement is as big as possible.

There have been a few updates regarding AF, so any comments by anyone should be checked for dates to see how relevant they are now.
The capture of moving subjects looks a significant improvement. The shots had the focus square already focussed in advance of where the bike was going to appear. Would it work without that pre-focussing and all the focal points active?

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Im not sure, but the initial lock with an AF point seemed pretty quick when I was checking it with cars. I suspect the same visual issue of it being harder to see OOF subjects will be there though regarding initial acquisition, Ill have another look on Wed, Im hoping to get back there.

The M6 AF seemed pretty fast too, but no options to change lockon priority etc. 14 FPS with servo was impressive, and it just had little skips with each shot, it was very easy to track with it.

Upvote 0