Canon to announce EOS-1D X equivalent EOS R system camera in 2021?

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The implicit assumption behind "Canon is doomed" statements is that Canon is sitting on their hands doing nothing.

IF that assumption were true, of course Canon would be doomed; they'd still be offering their current level of camera in 2030 and would be dinosaurs by then.

But there's simply no way in heck that Canon is doing nothing; the releases of the M6II and 90D show they're nailing many of the things people are complaining about.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
A quick search of a dictionary definition of a lie from my chrome browser in the UK leads me to the definition

"an intentionally false statement"

In order to qualify as a lie the subject must be acting with knowledgeable intention

Expressing a subjective opinion is quite different
So by your own definition, @Viggo did not accuse TN of lying. Would you also care to retract your ridiculous assertion that @Viggo could be subject to legal action for his non-accusation?

You also stated:
I follow people line Tony Northrup, Thomas Heaton, Dustin Abbot and Jared Polin and believe all of them to be honourable people with integrity and experience upon which I can rely. Rarely do they dramatically disagree with each other which lends credibility.

As long as you are aware that you’re relying on the integrity and experience of someone who makes asinine assertions (‘the 5DIII is ok if all you’re doing is posting to Facebook’) and either doesn’t understand how cropping images affects resolution (FF to APS-C FoV reduces output MP by 1.6^2= 2.56, not by 1.6) or can’t do simple math (22 / 2.56 ≠ 14), then by all means continue to rely on TN for your information.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
he has had some very valuable (for beginners) and informative videos yet he isn't the consummate professional he would want you to believe.

Great description although I'd argue whether his videos are informative. There's certainly some information but with a high level misinformation in it, simply unreliable.
No doubt it's all well presented but in many cases it's a simple profanation.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I was watching him occasionally and was noticing some errors here and there until that hilarious video about diffraction. He seemed to not have any idea of what he was talking about. It was absolutely unbearable, I stopped watching his channel at all.

I'm not discussing Tony's photography skills but his technical and scientific explanations are often incorrect and misleading.
+1...as I stated, he has the technical competence of a turnip.

Upvote 0
The implicit assumption behind "Canon is doomed" statements is that Canon is sitting on their hands doing nothing.

IF that assumption were true, of course Canon would be doomed; they'd still be offering their current level of camera in 2030 and would be dinosaurs by then.

But there's simply no way in heck that Canon is doing nothing; the releases of the M6II and 90D show they're nailing many of the things people are complaining about.

Speculations about release dates are entertaining. But whether or not Canon is doomed is irrelevant to me. I'm waiting for a high-res FF camera from Canon and I can wait, but at some point I feel I may fall a victim of GAS and buy Sony A7RIV, if Canon doesn't deliver.

Anyway, had everyone been focusing on their personal needs, not global Canon's performance and future, this forum would have been much calmer and constructive.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I think that makes sense. Even Sony with all their advances in sensor design have not yet brought out a camera that has professionals changing in large numbers which suggests that mirrorless still has issues at some level. I am finding it difficult to believe that Canon would bring out a 'mirrorless 1Dx' with the proviso 'this is the advance you have been waiting for but it will not perform as well as your 5 year old 1Dx2'.
However, a 1Dx3 DSLR would have pros upgrading pretty quickly and, as you say, launching the mirrorless version as a back up with specific mirrorless-based advantages of its own.

If this were the case as you alluded to.....what do you think the market price for the used previous model of the 1D DSLR would be?
And since these ARE used as work horses, would most of them be too battle word to buy used? How is the best way to gauge if it still has plenty of 'life' left in it?

Just pondering some thoughts...

C

Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Agreed. They have not been enough given the robustness of Canon's overall system. That situation may well last for a long time into the future. I was just bringing to the table my experiences with my clients. I never saw any shift in the past, I am seeing one now and it is not subtle. Only time will tell where all these companies stand in the future. I love Canon products and I really want Canon to bring a true action/wildlife mirrorless to market soon as mirrorless does bring advantages to my photography.
This is exactly what I have seen over the last couple of years in the photography community that I'm acquainted with consisting of ~200 serious amateur/professional photographers. From their stories, however, many have found a lot of improvement in in the Sony areas that they felt Canon cameras were behind (sensor noise, tracking, file size, etc) but some have been disappointed at the lack of robustness, no repair support, etc. Some have felt that it's almost like they treat a $3K camera as a "disposable" when it comes to repair. One friend had the main circuit board go out on his 1yr old a9 and Sony gave him a list of 4 independent repair outfits he could check out to send his camera to and they didn't even have the part to repair it. I think that the lack of robustness and lack of any significant repair and support facility will prevent Sony from penetrating the pro market anytime soon the way Canon has. I doesn't matter how much better or special your camera is, if there's a chance that when it goes down you can't get it replaced quickly, that's a killer for a working pro who has to shoot the game TODAY, so I think the things that go into their equation of what equipment to buy includes the level of support and back-up etc that frequently never enters many amateur's minds.
Catherine

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
This is exactly what I have seen over the last couple of years in the photography community that I'm acquainted with consisting of ~200 serious amateur/professional photographers. From their stories, however, many have found a lot of improvement in in the Sony areas that they felt Canon cameras were behind (sensor noise, tracking, file size, etc) but some have been disappointed at the lack of robustness, no repair support, etc. Some have felt that it's almost like they treat a $3K camera as a "disposable" when it comes to repair. One friend had the main circuit board go out on his 1yr old a9 and Sony gave him a list of 4 independent repair outfits he could check out to send his camera to and they didn't even have the part to repair it. I think that the lack of robustness and lack of any significant repair and support facility will prevent Sony from penetrating the pro market anytime soon the way Canon has. I doesn't matter how much better or special your camera is, if there's a chance that when it goes down you can't get it replaced quickly, that's a killer for a working pro who has to shoot the game TODAY, so I think the things that go into their equation of what equipment to buy includes the level of support and back-up etc that frequently never enters many amateur's minds.
Catherine
And this is why I use Broncolor lights also. They are bulletproof and the output and color is 100% consistent and no misfires. And if it was to fall over and die on me, one phone call and they’ll have another one to lend me asap.

I recently attended a wedding as a guest, but also photographing the party, they had hired a proper photographer also. And being in that kind of stressful environment I can’t for the life of me understand why someone would gamble on gear for weddings. A friend bought Godox and two of his three flashes failed completely after three weddings and left him stranded. I would gladly pay for a A1x if this was my profession, no question about it.

• Love
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
And this is why I use Broncolor lights also. They are bulletproof and the output and color is 100% consistent and no misfires. And if it was to fall over and die on me, one phone call and they’ll have another one to lend me asap.

I recently attended a wedding as a guest, but also photographing the party, they had hired a proper photographer also. And being in that kind of stressful environment I can’t for the life of me understand why someone would gamble on gear for weddings. A friend bought Godox and two of his three flashes failed completely after three weddings and left him stranded. I would gladly pay for a A1x if this was my profession, no question about it.
You use Broncolor? Can you adopt me? I promise to be a good son. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Here’s the backup workaround: The EOS R can be set to send *full-size* jpegs to your iPad, cell phone, laptop over WIFI - while shooting RAW to the SD card.

It works *very fast* (under a second per image), and seems a a reasonable Plan B if you are worried about a card failing.

Having a 2nd card slot, isn't just for redundancy, I used it as a safety net for rolling over if I"m in the 'middle of battle" and run out of space on the 1st card and have it automagically roll over and start shooting on the 2nd card, without me having to stop miss shots, etc. Heck when I've been shooting concert festivals, with noise and excitement, and quick shooting, I might not notice for awhile 1st card had run out, you know?

And same with shooting videos, I've had those roll over for me when in the middle of a run and gun video shoot....so, nice to have it for that.

Just my $0.02,

cayenne

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

So by your own definition, @Viggo did not accuse TN of lying. Would you also care to retract your ridiculous assertion that @Viggo could be subject to legal action for his non-accusation?

You also stated:

As long as you are aware that you’re relying on the integrity and experience of someone who makes asinine assertions (‘the 5DIII is ok if all you’re doing is posting to Facebook’) and either doesn’t understand how cropping images affects resolution (FF to APS-C FoV reduces output MP by 1.6^2= 2.56, not by 1.6) or can’t do simple math (22 / 2.56 ≠ 14), then by all means continue to rely on TN for your information.
I won't bother trawling through the vast swathes of contributions you have made to Canon Rumors for examples but I strongly suspect that you and many other regulars have made their fair share of bloopers

Doesn't mean you are an idiot - it just means you are human

I suspect your real issues are more to do with personality issues than anything else

Tony Northrup is clearly passionate and well informed about photography

I don't hold it against him that he throws in controversial eye catching claims from time to time - yes it generates clicks and of course that infuriates some of those people who take themselves very very seriously but honestly many of us look at it with a wry smile - as im sure tony does

His Facebook comment was no doubt that type of humorous quip - of course he is basically right - huge quantities of MP don't matter for FB and it's not worth upgrading to the 5D4 if you don't actually need more pixels - and let's face it very few of us do these days ...

Chill out

And if you care to reread the original comment claiming people were lying i think you will be under little doubt who was the target of such accusation

And for what it's worth i don't have the faintest idea if you can be prosecuted for calling someone a liar on CR but i made my point at least to my own satisfaction :)

• Haha
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

Catherine

Interesting - I wonder if there is the opportunity here for a major company like lens rentals or adorama to offer a repair service ?

Upvote 0

ronno

Pro
Sep 8, 2019
Having a 2nd card slot, isn't just for redundancy, I used it as a safety net for rolling over if I"m in the 'middle of battle" and run out of space on the 1st card and have it automagically roll over and start shooting on the 2nd card, without me having to stop miss shots, etc. Heck when I've been shooting concert festivals, with noise and excitement, and quick shooting, I might not notice for awhile 1st card had run out, you know?

And same with shooting videos, I've had those roll over for me when in the middle of a run and gun video shoot....so, nice to have it for that.

Just my $0.02,

cayenne

Yes roll over space is nice - though cards are huge these days and I don't have a need to change cards much at all.
Anyway my response was to someone asking specifically about backup options with the EOS R...(rather than repeatedly lamenting what the camera does not have...)

Upvote 0