Canon to announce EOS-1D X equivalent EOS R system camera in 2021?

D

Deleted member 378875

Thanks
I am also a hobbyist with very limited funds. Dustin Abbott is the greatest, in my opinion. However, I worked today with a guy that went from Canon to Sony. He adapted his EF glass. Now he's switching back to the R. My point was that no camera will make our photos better. You should go down to the local shop and see whether you like the feel of the Sony in your hands and see if you can live with that, their abysmal service, and horrible menus.

The 5D Mark IV is a nice camera. I don't see that you'd be in a rush either way. I disagree that Sony is ahead of Canon. Especially when it comes to glass, ergonomics, and service. I get very nice photos from the R, but not because it is the R. ;)
Thanks for the advice - I have to admit I am tempted to buy one but a big part of me tells me to be patient and hold on to my money and hope that Canon bring out a reasonably priced model with IBIS and an EVF comparable to the new Sony A7R4 and Panasonic

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Im not sure, but the initial lock with an AF point seemed pretty quick when I was checking it with cars. I suspect the same visual issue of it being harder to see OOF subjects will be there though regarding initial acquisition, Ill have another look on Wed, Im hoping to get back there.

The M6 AF seemed pretty fast too, but no options to change lockon priority etc. 14 FPS with servo was impressive, and it just had little skips with each shot, it was very easy to track with it.
Nikon and Sony AF (on certain bodies) is able to detect movement and pinpoint focus on what is moving, which is just what you want for capturing a flying bird or other fast moving object against a background. If Canon can now do the same it would be a breakthrough I have been hoping for.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
*sigh* I truly do not understand all the hate the R gets in nearly every single thread. It seems, though, that it is mostly from people who've never tried one. So, in my opinion, their comments don't matter one bit. Watch all the YouTube click bait reviews you want. Go out of your way to act like you know what you are talking about and feed off each other's rancid ignorance. Is the R meant to be a sports/wildlife speed demon? No. Then again, neither is the 5D Mark IV. For what I do, the R is near perfect and a real steal at it's current price.

Great work. What lens(es) did you use for these?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I think calling Tony Northrup a liar in public is going way too far.

You could even be open to legal action.

Can you actually highlight a single definite lie told by Tony Northrup ?

Before you answer can I suggest you use a dictionary to make sure you know what a lie is.
First off, @Viggo called Northrup ‘unreliable’ and ‘off the mark’. If you believe that equates to stating he has lied, then you are the one who needs to consult a dictionary for a definition of the word ‘lie’.

I watched one TN video, a review of the 5DIII, where he compared it to the D810. He found the Nikon to have better AF on his ‘sports test’ (which was his subject walking sedately toward him, LOL), and he concluded that that the D810 is the best camera, but the 5DIII is probably ok if you're not a pro and you just post your pics to Facebook. Do you believe that’s a true statement?

In a ‘review’ of the 7DII, Northrup stated that cropping a 5DIII to the FoV of the 7DII gives a 14 MP image. Do you believe that’s a true statement?

If you answered yes to either of the above questions, you should probably also consult a dictionary for the definition of the word ‘truth’.

Northrup produces “entertainment“ and he has the technical competence of a turnip. Feel free to threaten me with legal action on his behalf. :rolleyes:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
Given that Canon is not losing ILC market share to Sony, what you see doesn’t match reality.
It does not match reality yet. I own a wildlife photography day tour and workshop business and I too have seen Sony come on strong among my clients over the past couple of years. Prior to this, Nikon and Canon systems were all I saw on my tours. This change in the systems my clients are using caused me to get a Sony a9, so I could learn and speak these clients' "language" while on tours with them. Now that Sony has a 200-600mm and 600 f/4 available it may cause more wildlife photographers to make the change that would not do so before these lenses became available. The Sony a9, and soon the Sony a9II, are and will be very capable wildlife photography cameras as will be the a7RIV (very much in the same league as the Canon 1DXII and 5DMIV). My clients who shoot Sony (and use to shoot Nikon or Canon DSLRs) like mirrorless and the advantages it brings to the table over DSLRs (e.g., no blackout EVF, WYSIWYG exposure through the EVF, being able to shoot video through the EVF, AF points that span almost the entire frame, AI AF tracking capabilities). I have shot Canon for a long time and I love the 1DxII and 5DIV, but I also see the future in what the Sony a9 brings to the table in a mirrorless body now that I have been shooting one for several months along side my 1DxII and 5DIV. The AI AF tracking makes getting shots like those below almost easy compared to what it takes using my 1DxII. I do believe Canon will soon bring a mirrorless camera to market that will rival the Sony a9/a9II, but if they falter I do wonder if what I have seen recently among my clients does not continue to pick up steam. I know I will get the Sony a9II if Canon does not bring a true high-speed, action mirrorless to the market within the next couple of years.Ruddy turnstone flight 1600cr.jpgRuddy turnstone flight II 1600cr.jpgRuddy turnstone landing 1600cr.jpgRuddy turnstone landing II 1600cr.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
First off, @Viggo called Northrup ‘unreliable’ and ‘off the mark’. If you believe that equates to stating he has lied, then you are the one who needs to consult a dictionary for a definition of the word ‘lie’.

I watched one TN video, a review of the 5DIII, where he compared it to the D810. He found the Nikon to have better AF on his ‘sports test’ (which was his subject walking sedately toward him, LOL), and he concluded that that the D810 is the best camera, but the 5DIII is probably ok if you're not a pro and you just post your pics to Facebook. Do you believe that’s a true statement?

In a ‘review’ of the 7DII, Northrup stated that cropping a 5DIII to the FoV of the 7DII gives a 14 MP image. Do you believe that’s a true statement?

If you answered yes to either of the above questions, you should probably also consult a dictionary for the definition of the word ‘truth’.

Northrup produces “entertainment“ and he has the technical competence of a turnip. Feel free to threaten me with legal action on his behalf. :rolleyes:
Given the past comments about TN on CR and my own viewing of him, most here would agree with you. Trouble is, our leaders on both sides of the pond are now openly accused of being liars.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
How does IBIS lower noise?
In the same way that a tripod lowers noise. ;)

Personally, in almost all situations where I could use a lower shutter speed such that IBIS would offer benefit at a given focal length, I could also use a tripod. At focal lengths with my typical subjects where my handheld shooting would benefit from stabilization, the lenses I use are already image stabilized.

While I certainly wouldn’t turn IBIS down if it were an offered feature, I personally would not derive much benefit from it for most of my photography.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I have an R and like it a lot. That said I’ve already sold my 5DIV and 1DX and will pickup the next Canon mirrorless body out if its a 5D style or 1DX.
A few samples shot with my R.
Who said the EOS R wasn't suited for wildlife shots? :unsure:Your pictures have proven the opposite!
Excellent pictures!:love::love::love:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

A quick search of a dictionary definition of a lie from my chrome browser in the UK leads me to the definition

"an intentionally false statement"

In order to qualify as a lie the subject must be acting with knowledgeable intention

Expressing a subjective opinion is quite different

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

Personally, in almost all situations where I could use a lower shutter speed such that IBIS would offer benefit at a given focal length, I could also use a tripod. At focal lengths with my typical subjects where my handheld shooting would benefit from stabilization, the lenses I use are already image stabilized.

While I certainly wouldn’t turn IBIS down if it were an offered feature, I personally would not derive much benefit from it for most of my photography.

Indeed for some people who have the luxury of being able to set up a tripod then IBIS is probably a poor substitute

Getting my kids not to pull an angry face when I take their pictures is hard enough

Trying to do that and use a tripod is never ever going to happen !!

• Haha
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Same here for my type of photography. Lens-based IS is by the most important for telephoto lenses, although IBIS can add a stop or so for systems that can marry it with the lens. Secondly, I don't like going below 1/250s for shots where anything live is concerned because of its movement. But the primary purpose of IBIS is to minimise shake - noise can be adequately dealt with PP nowadays but motion blur is the killer.

Just remembered an article by Ari Hazeghi, http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/focus-micro-adjustment-is-it-always-needed/, where he likes to keep above 1/1000s for perched birds but will go down to 1/250s.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
A quick search of a dictionary definition of a lie from my chrome browser in the UK leads me to the definition

"an intentionally false statement"

In order to qualify as a lie the subject must be acting with knowledgeable intention

Expressing a subjective opinion is quite different

Tony is an entertainer and will say many things which rub logic and truth the wrong way in order to get upvotes and clicks.Photography is not the sexy conversation topic without wild insinuations and claims, it's a visual format and speaking about it is sometimes like watching paint dry so in order to have a successful YouTube product, you have to insert a certain degree of eyebrow raising, not to mention his sex sells angle of Chelsea. She isn't his foil he'd want you to believe, she's his eye candy. There are many more reasoned and balanced reviewers of camera products out there from which you can glean product knowledge. They don't get many mentions around here because it's always the negative we talk about, i.e. restaurant reviews....No one here is saying everything out of his mouth is a lie, he has had some very valuable (for beginners) and informative videos yet he isn't the consummate professional he would want you to believe.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It does not match reality yet.

These are nice photos, it's refreshing to see turnstones in flight! But I would point out that people have been coming to these forums for many years proclaiming that Sony is about to eat Canon's lunch based on whatever the latest releases are, and they have been wrong. I ask repeatedly, why now? It seems no matter what technical wizardry Sony offers, something about Canon - be it their marketing, support, lens selection, reliability, or whatever - keeps them on top. It's not guaranteed to last forever, but I simply don't see anything that would reverse the companies' positions any time soon, the purported advantages of one over the other simply aren't enough.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have an R and like it a lot. That said I’ve already sold my 5DIV and 1DX and will pickup the next Canon mirrorless body out if its a 5D style or 1DX.
A few samples shot with my R.
They are very nice shots and I like them a lot. However, I am not moving to Canon mirrorless until they get a higher resolution sensor because I personally prefer the images of birds from the 5DSR to those from my 5DIV, and the 5DIV has the same sensor as the R. That said, I don't want it to detract from the excellence of your images.

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
I view the R as a good casual camera and not for anything demanding
I understand why some people love it
It’s basically the mirrorless Rebel

But it’s annoying when it’s discussed as anything high end.
I can't argue with that, because that's exactly what I use it for. :)

I wouldn't reduce it to a mirrorless Rebel, but I get your point.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
These are nice photos, it's refreshing to see turnstones in flight! But I would point out that people have been coming to these forums for many years proclaiming that Sony is about to eat Canon's lunch based on whatever the latest releases are, and they have been wrong. I ask repeatedly, why now? It seems no matter what technical wizardry Sony offers, something about Canon - be it their marketing, support, lens selection, reliability, or whatever - keeps them on top. It's not guaranteed to last forever, but I simply don't see anything that would reverse the companies' positions any time soon, the purported advantages of one over the other simply aren't enough.
Agreed. They have not been enough given the robustness of Canon's overall system. That situation may well last for a long time into the future. I was just bringing to the table my experiences with my clients. I never saw any shift in the past, I am seeing one now and it is not subtle. Only time will tell where all these companies stand in the future. I love Canon products and I really want Canon to bring a true action/wildlife mirrorless to market soon as mirrorless does bring advantages to my photography.

Upvote 0

I was watching him occasionally and was noticing some errors here and there until that hilarious video about diffraction. He seemed to not have any idea of what he was talking about. It was absolutely unbearable, I stopped watching his channel at all.

I'm not discussing Tony's photography skills but his technical and scientific explanations are often incorrect and misleading.

Upvote 0