Industry News: Sony officially announces the α9 II

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
From Sony:
The second generation of speed, the Sony Alpha a9 II takes the impressive feature-set of its predecessor and adds enhanced connectivity, a refined body design, and even quicker performance. Utilizing the proven 24.2MP full-frame Exmor RS BSI stacked CMOS sensor and an updated BIONZ X processor, the a9 II sports especially quick and responsive capabilities. Up to 20 fps shooting is possible with a silent electronic shutter or up to 10 fps with a mechanical shutter is supported, along with a wide sensitivity range that reaches up to an expanded ISO 204800. The sensor’s design also incorporates a 693-point phase-detection autofocus system, which offers intelligent subject tracking and Real-time Eye AF to ensure critical focus on moving subjects. The BIONZ X also performs up to 60 AF/AE functions per second to go along with the 20 fps shooting for reliable results in quickly changing situations. In addition to stills, UHD 4K video recording is supported at up to 30...

Continue reading...

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0
This update will drive the Sony fanboys bonkers but I'd say it's pretty much on point. Fix the issues with the A9 and leave alone what is working fine. I don't see this convincing many pro sports photgraphers to drop their DSLR's, but, on the other hand there no longer seem to be any glaring reasons why they couldn't. More evidence of a 24 MP 1DX Mark II in my opinion. If Sony thought sports shooters wanted more MP's they could easily have given it to them.

More evidence IMO of a split between what pro sports photographers want/ need and the nature and wildlife market.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I'd like to welcome Sony fans to what we in the trade call "mature technology" and "mature market". Sorry, but growth curves always turn into sigmoids eventually.

Also, I'd like to dedicate this thread to the people who proclaimed loudly that the 1DX3 must have at least 30 Mpix lest it be eaten alive by the a9II and the D6 (the latter of which, by the way, is also rumored to get the 24 Mpix treatment).

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I have been saying for a while Sony is becoming more conservative. It seems that when Sony makes a good camera they just make a "MK II" with incremental updates and refinements to the body and processor not in the sensor. fs7 ii, fs 5 ii, a7r iii, and this. maybe some of those a6xxxs but i dont follow those cameras. WIth this camera it seems like the a9 needed an update to be marketed towards sports pros for the Olympic. This release gets a bit fat MEH from me.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
This time it's not about "specs", but about actual needs. Weather sealing, gigabit Ethernet, remote control...

I predict that after the initial shock dissipates, at least some fraction of Sony fanboys suddenly lose their interest in plain tech spec numbers in favor of more qualitative attributes such as ruggedness, ergonomics, and quality-of-life features, and furthermore will claim that that's what they have always thought anyway.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have never seen anything like it in the Sony Forums. They were just about all expecting a new 36Mpx sensor plus new features and now feel totally let down. Not a single post in favour on page after page. It seems just the same innards in a new body without even a boost to the evf. And the price of the old A9 is presumed not to be likely to drop (Sony has the habit of not discontinuing older models but selling hem at a discount to the latest).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0