The new 5D Mark V and R version.

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Since the thread about the upcoming 5D Mark V and R version got hijacked into a total DR (Dumb Ruminations) cluster and measurbating contest...

What are your hopes for the 5D Mark V and R II? No DR silliness allowed. No removable mirror box wierdness allowed either.

Will this be the point where you split into mirrorless? Or will you be staying with the DSLR? They both have their own unique positives and negatives.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
The R II should have a much faster refresh rate for the EVF during AI Servo and high-speed bursts. In my opinion, the current R is great for more or less static portraiture with some posing motions, but any kind of action quickly outpaces the EVF and starts me guessing where the subject might have moved to. This plus a faster shot-per-minute burst rate would make it a much more rounded body.

Effective IBIS is another must at this point, and if it really works in the four-stop or better range, would be a huge feature to have with the great primes that have already come out.

As for the 5D V, to be attractive to current 5D IV users, it would need better AF through the OVF, and it would need to match the Live-View AF of the next gen R. Hopefully Canon will be able to overcome the impulse or the technical hurdle with 4k Video and the infamous monster crop. Plus some method of quickly posting photos to the Web, as that seems to be a major thing these days.

And each should come with a free year (meaning a coupon worth the $100 fee, not free repairs) of CPS, starting when the warranty ends. Why not? It is one of the few value-added features that still keeps Canon head and shoulders above the competition. I'm surprised how little Canon seems to be promoting CPS.

How Canon plans to manage the psychological dilema of to mirror or not to mirror is anybody's guess!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The R II should have a much faster refresh rate for the EVF during AI Servo and high-speed bursts. In my opinion, the current R is great for more or less static portraiture with some posing motions, but any kind of action quickly outpaces the EVF and starts me guessing where the subject might have moved to. This plus a faster shot-per-minute burst rate would make it a much more rounded body.

Effective IBIS is another must at this point, and if it really works in the four-stop or better range, would be a huge feature to have with the great primes that have already come out.

As for the 5D V, to be attractive to current 5D IV users, it would need better AF through the OVF, and it would need to match the Live-View AF of the next gen R. Hopefully Canon will be able to overcome the impulse or the technical hurdle with 4k Video and the infamous monster crop. Plus some method of quickly posting photos to the Web, as that seems to be a major thing these days.

And each should come with a free year (meaning a coupon worth the $100 fee, not free repairs) of CPS, starting when the warranty ends. Why not? It is one of the few value-added features that still keeps Canon head and shoulders above the competition. I'm surprised how little Canon seems to be promoting CPS.

How Canon plans to manage the psychological dilemma of to mirror or not to mirror is anybody's guess!
Interesting times for sure. I think IBIS is a given in the next R.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
I’d like to see the noise character I’m seeing with the M6 Mark II. CHARACTER, meaning an absence of banding when lifting shadows.

Beyond that I’m happy with the 5D IV for landscape shooting although I would like more resolution which probably doesn’t happen significantly until the hi-res model comes out.

If the EVF on the hi-res is as good as what I’m seeing with the M6 II, I’ll buy it...I’m assuming it will be mirrorless

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
If they can find a way to give the next generation of DSLRs the sort of AF accuracy at wide apertures/shallow DOF that the EOS R is getting (by all reports), pretty sure I'll stay with DSLR (even if that means no IBIS for me). If not, I will find it a harder decision. The AF accuracy and the relatively light and compact (when retracted) RF 70-200/2.8L IS does tempt me towards the R system, but the EVF, battery life and a few small issues I've read about (such as AF and/or IS running when you wouldn't necessarily expect it to) still bother me. I'm not sure what I'll do, but it may end up coming down to what I think of the EVF and whether the price of RF lenses starts coming down (and that may depend at least in part on when we start seeing some third party RF lenses out there).

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I’d like to see the noise character I’m seeing with the M6 Mark II. CHARACTER, meaning an absence of banding when lifting shadows.

Beyond that I’m happy with the 5D IV for landscape shooting although I would like more resolution which probably doesn’t happen significantly until the hi-res model comes out.

If the EVF on the hi-res is as good as what I’m seeing with the M6 II, I’ll buy it...I’m assuming it will be mirrorless
If the 5D Mark V is mirrorless... it won't be a 5D Mark V.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If they can find a way to give the next generation of DSLRs the sort of AF accuracy at wide apertures/shallow DOF that the EOS R is getting (by all reports), pretty sure I'll stay with DSLR (even if that means no IBIS for me). If not, I will find it a harder decision. The AF accuracy and the relatively light and compact (when retracted) RF 70-200/2.8L IS does tempt me towards the R system, but the EVF, battery life and a few small issues I've read about (such as AF and/or IS running when you wouldn't necessarily expect it to) still bother me. I'm not sure what I'll do, but it may end up coming down to what I think of the EVF and whether the price of RF lenses starts coming down (and that may depend at least in part on when we start seeing some third party RF lenses out there).
With the R, continuous AF can be switched off in the menu system. Otherwise, yes, it is always trying to focus at whatever you are pointing at. I wouldn't know about IS because I don't have any IS lenses anymore, but I suspect switching off continuous focus would solve that too. AF accuracy is unbelievably good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
If the 5D Mark V is mirrorless... it won't be a 5D Mark V.

probably true but I’m not 100 percent convinced of that. A lot of history and successful marketing associated with the 5D line, as well as the 1D line.

IF the future will ultimately be mirrorless only at some point it is hard for me to think they would drop those names entirely. More so for the 1 series and the 5. The 1 series goes back to the film days.

Maybe the 3 will rear it’s head again :)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
With the R, continuous AF can be switched off in the menu system. Otherwise, yes, it is always trying to focus at whatever you are pointing at. I wouldn't know about IS because I don't have any IS lenses anymore, but I suspect switching off continuous focus would solve that too. AF accuracy is unbelievably good.
Unfortunately, IS remains on unless switch on lens is OFF.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Thanks CFB. Is continuous AF the same as servo AF, or something different? If it's servo AF, it should AF only when the shutter button is half pressed or the back button if you use back button focus, shouldn't it? Are you saying that an EOS R will keep focusing even when no button is being pressed? Sorry if I'm confused but ... I'm confused! :)

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Thanks CFB. Is continuous AF the same as servo AF, or something different? If it's servo AF, it should AF only when the shutter button is half pressed or the back button if you use back button focus, shouldn't it? Are you saying that an EOS R will keep focusing even when no button is being pressed? Sorry if I'm confused but ... I'm confused! :)

"Continuous AF" is not the same. It is a setting that causes the camera to ALWAYS adjust itself to remain in general focus. In other words, if the camera is on or not asleep.. it will keep focusing.

I suspect very useful for video, not so much for stills shooting.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
"Continuous AF" is not the same. It is a setting that causes the camera to ALWAYS adjust itself to remain in general focus. In other words, if the camera is on or not asleep.. it will keep focusing.

I suspect very useful for video, not so much for stills shooting.
OK, thanks. I will have to read up on it, but it sounds like it may be a non-issue for me - I almost never shoot video, so I imagine I'd hardly ever turn it on.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
John gives a good explanation as to how it works.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
For the DSLR, I think I'm getting to a point where the 5D4/5DS feature set is about as much camera as I need or desire. With the 5D4 replacement, the only thing I'd desire would be perhaps more resolving power from the sensor - i.e., weaken (or remove altogether) the AA filter. Of course, improvements in high ISO and AF should be standard by now. If they must cram in more megapixels, I would not want more than 36MP for everyday shots. I think 30-32 is a "sweet spot" - offering ample room to crop while not being too unforgiving for handholding shots.

As for the mirrorless variant, well, let's just say the list gets a lot longer. I won't list it all here, but to start - the EVF and AF operations need to be more responsive, the button layout needs tweaking, and technologies like IBIS need to be implemented.

I can't say at this point when and where I will "split off" so to speak. Now, I've already moved on to MILC for APS-C (the Canon M series). But it's a bit of a harder sell to me for FF. The cameras and lenses aren't THAT much smaller or lighter. I feel like I would be trading one set of pros/cons for another, likely with more cons involved. Stay tuned.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I’m not ever going back to a mirror camera, but what I want to see in a R upgrade is:

Proper weather sealing
Proper weather sealing
“Lag less” EVF, res is fine as is everything else.
Better tracking for fast erratic movement, preferably with auto select AF point.
Much less shutter lag, it’s driving me mad.
25 mp and better noise handling.
8 fps.
Dual slots for those occasional can’t miss moments.
Change the level from the Boeing cockpit one to a smaller top of the EVF one.
30% better battery life with the same battery.
Keep the Touch Bar.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0