Canon officially announces the development of the EOS-1D X Mark III

Aug 28, 2012
I suspect it does indeed have some MPs. Just unlikely to be more than the previous model's MPs if they studiously avoid the subject in the release. Remember, when the 1dx2 went to Mark II, they made a super big deal about the 2 extra megapixels.
I'm predicting a modest increase of a similar magnitude.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Where did the BH guy get his Raw video info from? Full frame Raw 4k video would genuinely be a thing.
the only thing in the way of raw video is storage and speed. i dont see how this would even be a hard thing to do today in a flagship. even the bmpcc 4k has raw I think.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
For me it is merely a case of curiousity. I can't see me ever having enough money to buy one of these AND the lenses required to get enough pixels on target. So this is just about seeing what Canon is capable of and it seems like they may be offering quite a bit.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Could it be that resolution and IBIS aren't mentioned because they are not set in stone yet? Although the mention of frame rate implies the resolution somewhat.

If 20 FPS in LiveView is the best they can do, and the total throughput is at least as high as the one from the M6 II (32.5*14) it means the resolution is at least 22.75 MP.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
If 20 FPS in LiveView is the best they can do, and the total throughput is at least as high as the one from the M6 II (32.5*14) it means the resolution is at least 22.75 MP.
Please keep in mind that the latest 1D models always had a double DIGIC x configuration.
I don't see a reason to return to single processor design here.
So even more calculation power and throughput possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
Wow! I’m definitely not in the budget for this camera but this looks outstanding!
Higher MPs (even though it’s not mentioned how many)
Higher FPS
Better controls (especially curious about that AF-On button)
Incredible video (maybe with a slight crop considering it’s both 60fps and 4:2:2 10Bit? But very nice nevertheless)
Improved autofocus performance
And more in store!!
It’s a very nice day for people wanting to upgrade to a Pro DSLR!

For me, I’m curious to see what this is gonna bring to the Mirrorless table!
(for example, since ML are smaller, they could implement the AF-On + Joystick thing instead of the Touch Bar, or as a complement to a better touchbar)

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Please keep in mind that the latest 1D models always had a double DIGIC x configuration.
I don't see a reason to return to single processor design here.
So even more calculation power and throughput possible.
I'm not saying anything about the possible throughput.

I was just pointing out that we know the throuput of the M6 II, and since I would find it weird if the new Canon flagship wouldn't beat this enthusiast mirrorless camera in throughput, I assumed that the 1DX III will have at least the same or greater max throughput.

So if we know the max FPS and assume the throuput, we can calculate the minimum resolution. Of course it could be much higher. The throughput could also be much higher. But resolution should be no less than 22.75 MP if it really does 20 FPS, because otherwise the M6 II would beat the 1DX III in one metric, and I can't see Canon allowing that

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I'm not saying anything about the possible throughput.

I was just pointing out that we know the throuput of the M6 II, and since I would find it weird if the new Canon flagship wouldn't beat this ...
I just wanted to second your thoughts and calculation by my post.
No critics, no know-all intended. Sorry, if that was misunderstood.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I just wanted to second your thoughts and calculation by my post.
No critics, no know-all intended. Sorry, if that was misunderstood.
Well, sorry on my part then. Forum Gesprächen fehlen gewisse Nuancen, ohne die gerade am frühen Morgen das Verständnis etwas leidet :)

I am personally not interested in the 1DX III but the technology it will bring to the table in terms of focusing and throughput. My personal impression was that the M6 II was just the beginning and we would see far greater performance in upcoming bodies. If even the 1DX III won't go much higher, I would be a bit less optimistic about the high res R. If I ever go FF, that's the camera that would interest me the most if it manages to be both, a nice FF mirrorless and high speed APS-C replacement.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Will the "new focus sensor" be usable in live view -- and will a variant of it find a home within a future EOS Rx?

Now I'm wondering more about the specs for the rumored "pro level" EOS R.

I had hoped for an EOS "Rx" announcement before the 2020 Olympic Games that would become an attractive upgrade from the 1Dx2. The announced 1Dx3 specs in an Rx would be great. But, Canon needs to sell a bunch of 1Dx3 bodies before introducing an Rx that could deflate 1Dx3 sales.

Will the long awaited "pro level" EOS R be a sports body or a successor to the 5D4? This could be a great wedding body, especially with a truly silent shutter. Or will it be a successor to the 5DS for commercial work -- and for Peter Hurley?

Sony is trying to push the A9 into the sports arena. A pro level EOS R will be measured against the latest A9, so I suspect that it will be positioned as an attractive upgrade from the 1Dx2, but not a true competitor of the 1Dx3. (This does put mean that the EF to RF converter must preserve the image quality and focus performance of existing EF lenses.) I'm still expecting an Rx to make some sort of splash at the 2020 Games. If so, it has to be a sports body.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Will the "new focus sensor" be usable in live view -- and will a variant of it find a home within a future EOS Rx?
I believe Canon is referring to its iTR sensor here, which is used to aid exposure and subject recognition in view finder mode. In LiveView, this sensor is not necessary because the primary sensor can be used for that. With the EOS R for example, there is no mention of iTR.

With the 1DXII the iTR sensor only has 736 x 496 "Pixel". No idea on what kind of pixels these are, as it is supposed to sense RGB and IR information. Anyway, that's just 0.36 MP, so even if it is increased by a factor of 28 yielding a 10.8 MP sensor, on a mirrorless body you are probably better of using the primary image sensor anyway.

Non the less I guess such a high resolution iTR sensor will allow face and eye detection as well as subject tracking to make great progress, even if the number of AF points remains the same. They write specifically about the resolution being this high in the center. I guess having two high res sensors that cover the whole image is too expensive even for a 1D body?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0