Canon officially announces the development of the EOS-1D X Mark III

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I somehow feel that it won't be quite as fast as you hope (or it has other limitations, like only 12-bit readout (or even lower, say 10-bit)), and that's why the mechanical is mentioned separately.
What you are talking about is the "reality vs marketing" thing, and I fear that you are right. But right now there is still room to dream a bit :giggle:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I wonder if the lighted buttons are a nice non-dark-vision-ruining red or the noxious bright blue that has infected almost all modern electronic things.
Pretty sure there will be an option to switch it off, maybe via a customized button.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I somehow feel that it won't be quite as fast as you hope (or it has other limitations, like only 12-bit readout (or even lower, say 10-bit)), and that's why the mechanical is mentioned separately.
I don't get what you are saying here. Are you suggesting that a mechanical shutter could deliver higher throughput than purely electronic one? That sounds like something worth elaborating, because it should be the other way around.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
I don't get what you are saying here. Are you suggesting that a mechanical shutter could deliver higher throughput than purely electronic one? That sounds like something worth elaborating, because it should be the other way around.
I'm saying that the readout speed at full bit depth is too slow to fully replace the mechanical shutter. For example it could take 1/50s to read the sensor, plenty of time (well "plenty" in this case is quite subjective) to run at 20fps but highly susceptible to rolling shutter artifacts.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
The one time I truly wished for a REAL silent mode was when, working for the orchestra, I got chased out of an auditiorium by a freaking classical-music lunatic. I don't think he heard anything, but just seeing a photographer dressed in black slowly making his way down to the railing of the nearly empty balcony sent this guy into an insane rage. I was brought before the theater manager and ordered to take some shots with my 5DIII in silent mode. He concluded I had disrupted the whole theater and I was tossed out on my gear-end.

I really wish I had taken a shot of the guy having a hissy fit. Or a swing at him. Ah, well, that was six years ago. Time to just put it behind me?
The nice thing about the 1D series is that you can use it as a club, at least with a tele lens attached, and silence such a guy. That said, I would have sent him a letter apologizing for his inconvenience and attach a Manowar concert ticket :devilish:

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Surely it will not boost the adrenaline levels of Megapixel fans. The 1D series was always dedicated to fast performance, not to highest possible resolution.
First time they are on situation where they dont need get it shoot faster ,16fps is kind of max what mechanical shutter can do.
Autofocus uses different sensor and own processor for it .
So megapixel amount wont affect to speed camera works

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
For me it is merely a case of curiousity. I can't see me ever having enough money to buy one of these AND the lenses required to get enough pixels on target. So this is just about seeing what Canon is capable of and it seems like they may be offering quite a bit.
The pixels are not the problem, since the pixel pitch of the 1D series is always moderate. Much cheaper Canon cameras offer more pixels. The main offering of the 1D's is speed, Canon's best video implementation (not crippled), and ruggedness.

Upvote 0
The 1D line seems to be the one place Canon does that. The 1DXII had 4k60 and 1080_120, which is something that 3.5 years later still hasnt trickled down to their other cameras. If this is shooting RAW internally, even at 1080, that'd be a damn impressive upgrade too

Yup, it seems it's the only place they're willing to incur the expense and risk cannibalizing their dedicated cinema cameras in order to provide pros with this video capability. I assume that the bigger body and higher asking price makes this both easier and more economically feasible for them.

Still, I am always amazed that they don't let many of those features trickle down to at least the 5D / EOS R series as they could sell a ton of cameras.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
When they mention "Deep Learning" I wonder if that means some kind of machine learning? That requires a lot of processing power, so it sounds like they really upped the power in this thing.
The certainly upped the processing power, and now users have to hope that this machine can learn something useful. Hopefully, the AI in such a camera does not start a debate whether your actual framing and motif selection needs improvement ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Still, I am always amazed that they don't let many of those features trickle down to at least the 5D / EOS R series as they could sell a ton of cameras.
Well, Sony is always ready to take over this job, but not for Canon cameras.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The pixels are not the problem, since the pixel pitch of the 1D series is always moderate. Much cheaper Canon cameras offer more pixels. The main offering of the 1D's is speed, Canon's best video implementation (not crippled), and ruggedness.
I and others have expressed disappointment in the 1DX2 coming out with 20 MPs. After using it primarily for bird photography I am loath to lose the FPS but am well aware of there being a significant benefit to some more resolution provided good high ISO performance remains. I'd be hesitant to spring for a 1DX3 unless it had at least 24 MPs. For hand held shooting much greater focal length means too much weight so more MPs can be very helpful for FL limited situations and smaller birds.

Jack

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I and others have expressed disappointment in the 1DX2 coming out with 20 MPs. After using it primarily for bird photography I am loath to lose the FPS but am well aware of there being a significant benefit to some more resolution provided good high ISO performance remains. I'd be hesitant to spring for a 1DX3 unless it had at least 24 MPs. For hand held shooting much greater focal length means too much weight so more MPs can be very helpful for FL limited situations and smaller birds.

Jack
24 Mpx represents only a 10% increase in resolution over 20 Mpx, like having a 440mm rather than a 400mm lens. Better than nothing but not a game changer.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I can just imagine the oil splatter!!!!!!!!
The improvement can be okay, but what I'll really like to see is the total lack of oil splattering. I'am getting more then sick of that, 400+ spots in a single image. Evening after evening cleaning the images. We have a company in Holland that is capable of cleaning the sensor completly, but after only two trips it is as bad as before. For me no 1DX anymore if they don't solve this problem. And I'll use these type of camera's for a very long time already. Very frustrating!!

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
The 1D line seems to be the one place Canon does that. The 1DXII had 4k60 and 1080_120, which is something that 3.5 years later still hasnt trickled down to their other cameras. If this is shooting RAW internally, even at 1080, that'd be a damn impressive upgrade too
Are we forgetting the April 2012 release of the 1dc?

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
The improvement can be okay, but what I'll really like to see is the total lack of oil splattering. I'am getting more then sick of that, 400+ spots in a single image. Evening after evening cleaning the images. We have a company in Holland that is capable of cleaning the sensor completly, but after only two trips it is as bad as before. For me no 1DX anymore if they don't solve this problem. And I'll use these type of camera's for a very long time already. Very frustrating!!
What generates the oil splatter? The mirror or the shutter? Is it a problem in mirrorless bodies? I don’t know anything about this issue.

Upvote 0
24 Mpx represents only a 10% increase in resolution over 20 Mpx, like having a 440mm rather than a 400mm lens. Better than nothing but not a game changer.

DPR's report mentioned that the emphasis might be on low light performance rather than a big mp jump. I'd be very happy with 24mp if it came with an extra stop or two of low light capability. Given number of mp and pixels size on a full frame are diametrically opposed, I have no problem with them making high ISO a priority.

Upvote 0