Patent: Canon RF 10-24mm f/4 and Canon RF 14-28 f/2.0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The Canon lens devision seems to be firing on all cylinders and producing some truly drool worthy lenses.

The frustration for me is I’m ready to jump full speed into the R system and buy a swath of new lenses however, there is just not a camera I’m remotely interested in buying.

The 1DXIII proves Canon has still got the magic touch (amazing camera if you need it) but wish they weren't so tragically slow with the Pro R camera.
Tragically slow? It's only been a year. Why release a body if a lens lineup isn't ready? Now that the lens catalog is filling out, there will be higher level bodies coming pretty quick. Had a high end body already been released the argument would be in the other direction..."Where are the lenses?" The portrait folks are pretty happy right now. That's where the most money is anyway, so it makes sense.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Tragically slow? It's only been a year
Have we not forgotten when the Sony A7 cameras were launched - I’ll jog your memory 2013 so I don’t consider Canon has only had a year to give us a Pro camera.

OK, Canon may have taken the original A7 as a flash in the pan but by the time 2015 came and we got the A7rII it was obvious the way the camera market wanted to go - Mirrorless.

Canon has had plenty of time to release cameras along side professional grade lenses so yes, after 4 years (minimum) they are being tragically slow.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Have we not forgotten when the Sony A7 cameras were launched - I’ll jog your memory 2013 so I don’t consider Canon has only had a year to give us a Pro camera.

OK, Canon may have taken the original A7 as a flash in the pan but by the time 2015 came and we got the A7rII it was obvious the way the camera market wanted to go - Mirrorless.

Canon has had plenty of time to release cameras along side professional grade lenses so yes, after 4 years (minimum) they are being tragically slow.
UM... Sony doesn't set the agenda for Canon. Neither does Sony set the pace of the industry with it's paltry market share.

Here's the problem for Sony: Sony operated in a vacuum for a very long time. Now Sony has Canon and Nikon in the mirrorless market to compete with. This may be the beginning of Sony's death spiral. Are you forgetting how Sony was forced into mirrorless because Sony could not compete in the DSLR world? And the ASPc world?

Canon doesn't have a pro body? Let me help you out: Pro body doesn't mean mirrorless only.

Might I also remind you that Sony couldn't make any lens longer than 300mm until last year and that Sony photogs were forced to adapt 3rd party glass (mostly Canon) to fill their needs? Where are Sony's Tilt Shift lenses?

I get it. You signed up on a Canon forum just so you could tell us all how wonderful Sony is (The one you say you own in a previous post). Guess what? Sony is doomed.

BTW: For my work, I'll put my R up against any Sony... so define "Pro" body. To some short thinkers it simply means high frame rates.

Sony weather sealing example below: (Keeps the water in, not out.) ;)

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Are you saying that Sony A7 was a pro camera that Canon needed to emulate?

What do you exactly mean by "the camera market wanted to go"?

I've seen lots of companies entering an emerging market too early. Not many of them did well. Especially not Minolta (which is Sony by now).

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
UM... Sony doesn't set the agenda for Canon. Neither does Sony set the pace of the industry with it's paltry market share.

Here's the problem for Sony: Sony operated in a vacuum for a very long time. Now Sony has Canon and Nikon in the mirrorless market to compete with. This may be the beginning of Sony's death spiral. Are you forgetting how Sony was forced into mirrorless because Sony could not compete in the DSLR world? And the ASPc world?

Canon doesn't have a pro body? Let me help you out: Pro body doesn't mean mirrorless only.

Might I also remind you that Sony couldn't make any lens longer than 300mm until last year and that Sony photogs were forced to adapt 3rd party glass (mostly Canon) to fill their needs? Where are Sony's Tilt Shift lenses?

I get it. You signed up on a Canon forum just so you could tell us all how wonderful Sony is (The one you say you own in a previous post). Guess what? Sony is doomed.

BTW: For my work, I'll put my R up against any Sony... so define "Pro" body. To some short thinkers it simply means high frame rates.

Sony weather sealing example below: (Keeps the water in, not out.) ;)
I have over £30K worth of Canon equipment so feel I’m well within my right to join a Canon forum to vent my frustrations at their slow rate of pace bringing me the tools I need to market.

Why you assume a Sony fanboy would like to buy a swath of Canon RF lenses (as said in an earlier post) is you reading something I’ve not written.

The market wants mirrorless as is reflected in Canons aggressive RF lens road map and anyone who thinks differently is looking at this from a personal preference only.

I don’t really care what camera anyone uses and a don’t feel the need to judge them on their choice of manufaturer - they are all just tools capable of great things in the right hands. I’ll leave the chest beating comparisons to someone who cares which performs better.

However, is doesn’t stop me feeling frustrated by Canons slow progress bringing their pro grade cameras to market after all they led the way with their 1Ds line up until 2007 when the 1DsIII was launched. I just think they lost interest.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I have over £30K worth of Canon equipment so feel I’m well within my right to join a Canon forum to vent my frustrations at their slow rate of pace bringing me the tools I need to market.

Why you assume a Sony fanboy would like to buy a swath of Canon RF lenses (as said in an earlier post) is you reading something I’ve not written.

The market wants mirrorless as is reflected in Canons aggressive RF lens road map and anyone who thinks differently is looking at this from a personal preference only.

I don’t really care what camera anyone uses and a don’t feel the need to judge them on their choice of manufaturer - they are all just tools capable of great things in the right hands. I’ll leave the chest beating comparisons to someone who cares which performs better.

However, is doesn’t stop me feeling frustrated by Canons slow progress bringing their pro grade cameras to market after all they led the way with their 1Ds line up until 2007 when the 1DsIII was launched. I just think they lost interest.
Please explain how the currently available tools prevent you from doing great work.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Please explain how the currently available tools prevent you from doing great work.
You're a defensive bunch.... Is it normal forum etiquette to pick holes in every comment?

• I renew my cameras every 2-3 years
  • I want to buy into the RF system (Lenses)
  • Canon don't make an R camera (yet) that is up to the job (for me)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
You're a defensive bunch.... Is it normal forum etiquette to pick holes in every comment?

• I renew my cameras every 2-3 years
  • I want to buy into the RF system (Lenses)
  • Canon don't make an R camera (yet) that is up to the job (for me)

Since when is a straightforward question "defensive" or an attempt to "pick holes" in any comment? I haven't followed "every comment" of yours! In fact, I was sincerely trying to understand your frustration and anxiety. I've felt it, but then thought things through and calmed down.

I was hoping you'd be more specific, perhaps stating a feature that you feel keeps you behind your own competition. For me, IBIS comes to mind, as my hands aren't getting steadier, and I do love the Rf primes. And I've mentioned, even complained several times the past few weeks, that the R is a great niche camera, if your niche is portraits or still-lifes or landscapes in decent weather; otherwise, I believe its EVF is still too laggy in AI Servo during burst mode. (I find that subjects moving even a little quickly get too far ahead of what is being jerkily displayed.)

But the R does work spectacularly with the primes for portraiture and detail shots. Its AF is the most precise I've ever used. It does what it does, and for all else, I have the 5DIV with a couple of IS lenses, plus the also spectacular ef 35mm f/1.4L II.

That said, a fast ultra-wide with very low distortion is something I've never owned. I'm interested! (But not in a rush.)

Buying new models of bodies every 2-3 years would be excessive for me, but I'm sure any camera company would love such customers! I bought the R specifically for the 50mm 1.2 and 85mm 1.2, but I could certainly produce great work with "just" a 5DIV and a few ef lenses.

Gear has never held me back, though of course I enjoy discussing and occasionally getting my hands on the best available. In my opinion, people skills, enthusiasm, organization, and persistence are much more important in this business than having bleeding edge tech for photography. So is humility. For all our knowledge, artistry, and efforts, most of us are considered to be "hired help," even if we are paid well. Furthermore, photography techniques can be learned and improved much more easily (for people such as myself) than can people skills!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Since when is a straightforward question "defensive" or an attempt to "pick holes" in any comment? I haven't followed "every comment" of yours! In fact, I was sincerely trying to understand your frustration and anxiety. I've felt it, but then thought things through and calmed down.

I’m sorry if your question was genuine, I read it as patronising - in that suggesting without a Pro R camera my work was doomed which is ridiculous. I suppose the Sony fanboy causing trouble in a Conon forum comment got me on the defensive.

I hope you accept my apology.

The frustration simply boils down to me wanting to invest a sizable amount in more gear and not having the means to allow me to do this with the R system.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Nobody said you had no right.

The point is that carping Canon not having the body you wish Canon would make yet is rather silly. Canon, with a firm grasp on market share, knows much better than you or I what is needed and when. The professional market is very small compared to the rest of the market. Releasing a body you want when the lens line is not yet available for it would make far less sense.

Honestly, your claimed 30,000 pounds worth of Canon gear gives your opinion no more right or weight than somebody who owns an Elf point and shoot. You come across as an elitist, as though you are personally owed something because you've spent some money. To that I say, "Whoop de doo!" A pro camera is coming. Acting as though Sony, with it's terrible record, is somehow ahead of the game when Sony has been the only player in that game for a while is kinda, well... I won't say it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
...I have yet to pull the trigger on the UWA such as the EF 11-24. I don't really need such a lens...but I want one. I was able to hold off, in part, because of the possibility of a UWA in the RF format...but also because of IS (lack of).

In part, that time has come (apparently).

There are several posts in this thread now...and not one mentions image stabilization. Am I the only one that likes acquiring museum/theme park/at home images of really really dark (static) scenes, at places were tripods etc just aren't practical? Image stabilization in these use cases is critical.

IBIS for the next R?

Or will the 10-24 itself have IS?

Finally, will the EF 11-24 now see downward pressure as far as price is concerned?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
...I have yet to pull the trigger on the UWA such as the EF 11-24. I don't really need such a lens...but I want one. I was able to hold off, in part, because of the possibility of a UWA in the RF format...but also because of IS (lack of).

In part, that time has come (apparently).

There are several posts in this thread now...and not one mentions image stabilization. Am I the only one that likes acquiring museum/theme park/at home images of really really dark (static) scenes, at places were tripods etc just aren't practical? Image stabilization in these use cases is critical.

IBIS for the next R?

Or will the 10-24 have in-body IS?

Finally, will the EF 11-24 now see downward pressure as far as price is concerned?
I think IBIS is coming. IBIS will be especially good on UWA lenses, in my opinion... which isn't worth much. ;) IBIS works very well on my Olympus. Canon's will probably work well also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0