EOS R: Quirks and Quibbles

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I'm using a long strap that crosses my chest. I also have a BR. But thinking of just going to a wrist strap.

The R is my favorite camera ever.
I do that now, and just carry a smaller camera bag over my shoulder for when I'm not going to be using the camera for extended periods. I find camera straps (even good ones) uncomfortable because the camera bounces all the time as I walk along.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I do that now, and just carry a smaller camera bag over my shoulder for when I'm not going to be using the camera for extended periods. I find camera straps (even good ones) uncomfortable because the camera bounces all the time as I walk along.

Same here, but I do bring a shoulder strap just in case. The Peak Design button thingies make swapping really easy.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
So, after 1.4.0 update, is the R metering less weighted to the focusing point? It seems so to me at least. Which is very welcomed btw.
I honestly don't remember. ;) That update made it a really awesome camera though. The eye AF is soooooo good. The touch and drag is smooth as silk.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Paul6

CR Pro
Sep 26, 2019
Point of this thread intended for EOS R OWNERS is not to complain about the camera, but to discuss challenges and work arounds.

I received mine a few days ago, and I've identified a few issues that don't seem learning-curve related. Here are two:

1) There is currently no third-party eyecup for the EVF, such as the Hoodman Hoodeye line of eyecups that works so great for dSLR's. I like to shoot in early morning and late afternoon, but the angle of the sun at these times (after and before golden hour) makes seeing through the EVF very difficult for me. The Nikon Z's already have an eyecup, and I've written to Hoodman to ask if one might be coming for the EOS R (which, by the way, has its eyecup screwed on, but otherwise comes off without much effort.)

Anybody have some kind of DIY solution yet?

2) Not a big deal, but the Auto Sensor Cleaning, unless completely disabled, engages every time the display goes to sleep--which is a LOT! The only setting that stops that is just turning "Auto" off altogether. Sure, I might be able to just remember to engage it when I swap lenses, but it is definitely a quirk.

There's more, but I don't want to start with a long laundry list, and, frankly, this camera is new to me and many issues will likely resolve themselves.

I am seeing the potential of the R's AF, and getting very good initial results with it--especially considering I've been shooting at f/1.2 and relatively low shutter speeds with a non-IS lens! But the EVF is a huge change for me.

Please, fellow EOS R OWNERS, chime in and share some of the quirks and quibbles you are dealing with and learning to work with.

Thanks!

Being bald I always wear a floppy hat when out in the sun, have found it very useful when looking though the EVF as it cuts out the sunlight. Did do a test without the hat last year and found I could not see much through the EVF wearing my glasses, the hat solved the problem.

Did a sunrise shoot in Gran Canaria a couple of weeks ago able to use the EVF with out problems both at sunrise though to the midday sun

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Being bald I always wear a floppy hat when out in the sun, have found it very useful when looking though the EVF as it cuts out the sunlight. Did do a test without the hat last year and found I could not see much through the EVF wearing my glasses, the hat solved the problem.

Did a sunrise shoot in Gran Canaria a couple of weeks ago able to use the EVF with out problems both at sunrise though to the midday sun

I meant to follow up on this. A Hoodman rep wrote back: "Unfortunately, due to the difficulty of removing the R's factory-equipped eyecup, no HoodEye product is planned at this time." Maybe I missed something in the R's warranty about removing the installed eyecup???

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I honestly don't remember. ;) That update made it a really awesome camera though. The eye AF is soooooo good. The touch and drag is smooth as silk.
And, as I mentioned in another post, I believe that the exposure-simulation when a Speedlite is attached was addressed so that it now works properly. (Which also seems to be an upgrade to how it works in the 5DIV!)

But one EVF quibble that should be fixed: Stop the image from getting so bright when the shutter button is pressed halfway. This must be a serious tech challenge, as I believe the user manual warns about it. Something to the effect, "Don't be surprised or worried about the image appearing too bright! Exposure not affected!" (Ok, that's a paraphrase from memory.)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
And, as I mentioned in another post, I believe that the exposure-simulation when a Speedlite is attached was addressed so that it now works properly. (Which also seems to be an upgrade to how it works in the 5DIV!)

But one EVF quibble that should be fixed: Stop the image from getting so bright when the shutter button is pressed halfway. This must be a serious tech challenge, as I believe the user manual warns about it. Something to the effect, "Don't be surprised or worried about the image appearing too bright! Exposure not affected!" (Ok, that's a paraphrase from memory.)
You are right, it does get bright.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It’s because it’s focusing wide open no? I rather have that than focus stopped down :cool:
Now that you mention it... I had a shoot last night in the dark. Very little light. I could barely see the model and forgot my strobes have a modeling light (I forget stupid little things like that). Anyway, look through the EVF and I can see everything. Nice. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011

interesting...I’ll note the RP does this too. Must be the EVF tech.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It’s because it’s focusing wide open no? I rather have that than focus stopped down :cool:
You are right, as usual. The laugh was at myself. :) Thinking about the 50mm you have... would you miss the f/1.2 if it was only f/2? Just wondering. It seems to be a real bargain compared to the other lenses and I am pondering picking one up in the next year. However, if a 135mm should be released then all bets are off.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
You are right, as usual. The laugh was at myself. :) Thinking about the 50mm you have... would you miss the f/1.2 if it was only f/2? Just wondering. It seems to be a real bargain compared to the other lenses and I am pondering picking one up in the next year. However, if a 135mm should be released then all bets are off.
I would absolutely miss the larger apertures. My second favorite 50 of all time is the Zeiss 50 f2 mp, and the biggest reason I don’t have it anymore is because of the f2 aperture. The look close up is magic, but a normal distances I might as well use a 24-70.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I would absolutely miss the larger apertures. My second favorite 50 of all time is the Zeiss 50 f2 mp, and the biggest reason I don’t have it anymore is because of the f2 aperture. The look close up is magic, but a normal distances I might as well use a 24-70.
That's what I thought. OK. 50mm on the wish list then.

• Love
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You smart guys may already know this, but I stumbled upon it accidentally: Hold down the AF Point/index/Magnify/reduce button. Then you can rotate the Main Dial to move the focus point or zone horizontally and the Quick Control Dial will move it vertically. The AF point will stay where you put it and not track.

Upvote 0
I have a dumb R question and I apologize if it's been answered already. I have a bad habit of hitting the ISO tag at the bottom of the LCD when I am moving the focus point around with the camera to my eye. Is there a way to lock that or something? The worst is when I am in M and using flash with my ISO set and suddenly it's in Auto ISO at some crazy high number because it's dark and I have inadvertently nudged the control. Any suggestions appreciated.

Oh, but I do love this camera and I realize this is something I'm screwing up.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I have a dumb R question and I apologize if it's been answered already. I have a bad habit of hitting the ISO tag at the bottom of the LCD when I am moving the focus point around with the camera to my eye. Is there a way to lock that or something? The worst is when I am in M and using flash with my ISO set and suddenly it's in Auto ISO at some crazy high number because it's dark and I have inadvertently nudged the control. Any suggestions appreciated.

Oh, but I do love this camera and I realize this is something I'm screwing up.
Yes, there is something to do about that, and I too absolutely have done what you have and shot in studio at 1600 iso and an entire day at an amusement park at 640 iso because of this stupidity. I couldn’t find it now as I don’t have the camera, but will posts as soon as I do.

Upvote 0
Yes, there is something to do about that, and I too absolutely have done what you have and shot in studio at 1600 iso and an entire day at an amusement park at 640 iso because of this stupidity. I couldn’t find it now as I don’t have the camera, but will posts as soon as I do.
Thank you Viggo!

Upvote 0