An unreleased Canon camera appears for certification.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A new Canon camera has appeared for certification and is likely some kind of new Rebel.

The only information about the camera from the certification agency is the camera will use the LP-E17 battery and is equipped with Wi-Fi (IEEE802.11b / g / n) and Bluetooth4.2.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
So a small battery for an EOS M product? Or a small APS-c RF mount camera?

For an M series camera, the LP-E17 is actually a big battery. The cheaper Ms (M, M2, M10, M50, M100, M200) use LP-E12, the more expensive ones (M3, M5, M6, M6II) use LP-E17. The RP also uses LP-E17.
Looking at recent updates to cameras using LP-E12, Canon seems to be moving to LP-E17 for those, so we can't tell as much from the battery as before.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Considering Nikon released the Z50... I wouldn't rule out an APS-C RF model. As good as the M cameras may be, canon will want the majority of their customers to buy into RF simply because that's where they will have the profit margins. And they need an entry point. The RP is low cost for a FF body but the Z50 undercuts that by a not insignificant margin considering many will regard these as stepping stones towards the more expensive bodies. Many bought rebels with a cheap 70-300 zoom as a stepping stone towards eventually getting a 5D, 7D or 1D series camera with a 400mm tele, there's no reason to think this will be different in the world of mirrorless cameras.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
It shoots 30MP's at 13fps in RAW ;) At 1/6th of the price of the EOS 1DX MKII
Unlike the M6 II which does 14fps in RAW at 32MP at 1/6.5 the price.... :)

with that battery it has to be another M series. My bet would be somewhere below the M6 II, but then again my prediction record has been spectacularly wrong......

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
with that battery it has to be another M series. My bet would be somewhere below the M6 II
The battery doesn't tell us much except that this won't be the 7D III replacement and that it is unlikely to be Full Frame (The RP uses LP-E17, but nothing else with that sensor size does). The current Rebels use LP-E17 as well, it is not a mirrorless only battery.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The battery doesn't tell us much except that this won't be the 7D III replacement and that it is unlikely to be Full Frame (The RP uses LP-E17, but nothing else with that sensor size does). The current Rebels use LP-E17 as well, it is not a mirrorless only battery.

Good points all. (Since I have a number of spare E17 batteries, that's one of the aspects of the RP that makes it tantalizing to me--no need to buy more batteries and I get another charger to boot!)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Possibly the 77D (which also uses the EP-L17) replacement?

87D? 88D? Released alongside the Rebel T8i/850D? Or maybe they'll go back to calling it the EOS Rebel T8s/860D (like the Rebel T6s/760D that was announced alongside the Rebel T6i/750D)? The 77D was also released at the same time as the Rebel T7i/800D.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Do you think there is even a point in continuation of development of Rebels? I understand the Pro OVF demanding crowd still in the market for DSLRs. But bloggers, hobbyists and occasional shooters should be served well with Canon mirrorless. eos M and R series???
As long as it is cheaper to make them than to sell them, Canon will continue to sell them. Making money is a good point. We got a 90D because the M6 II can't properly replace it. And I think the higher end APS-C market is less likely to get updates because of Canon's desire to push people into FF - see lack of an M5 II and 7D III (Though these may be coming still, who knows).

I wouldn't be surprised if Canon were the very last Manufacturer to stop making entry level DSLR, even though they have basically the most popular crop mirrorless system which could replace it.

Upvote 0