Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
And mine's on the way...! Oh well, I couldn't wait any longer for full-frame goodness after selling my Mk IV, and would be hesitant to spend what it'll go for at release. No doubt it will be on my wish list, though.
I didn't sell my 5DMkIV. I like it too much. And it has 2 cards, GPS, works well with telephotos (I mean I can shoot birds with big teles efficiently although I rarely use it for this). Also it is not practical to exchange lenses some with the ring adaptor some without. And last but not least its battery lasts 4 times the shots it lasts in an EOS R.

There are cases where the EOS R is useful like on a trip where a 5DMkIV is rather big if it had to coexist with another camera with a big white all in the same bag. It is also small enough to take it using a camera case when a DSLR with equivalent lens would require a small bag by itself.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Very interesting, though I find myself a bit sceptical over the timeline, considering that this aggressive of a release timeline seems like it would be out of character for Canon.

Canon no longer dominating the full frame market is also out of character.

Releasing new and better bodies is a reasonable reaction to being overtaken by Sony in the full frame market, as Canon's current full frame lineup apparently has not had the desired effect.

As such this rumor is plausible.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
It needs more buttons like the ones that 5D series have to select ISO - Yes I know and I have assigned it to sidebar, still... - and frames per second vs single shot since the multifunction button can be parameterized to something else and the only way that remains in that is the touch screen. For action the Custom positions do not help a lot since we have to see them to select them which slows down the response. In addition a nice capability that is also missing from 90D is to be able to assign to a button a whole camera setup that is activated as long as we press it. It works wonderful on the 5 (and 7DII) series.

On second thought this is not an action camera so maybe all these do not matter to many users.

Anyway I have it for a week and I haven't been able to use it but I admit it is a nice little full frame camera.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
I suggest you test the Leica SL 2 or the Panasonic S 1, their EVFs are superb !

Okay, I didn't try those.

I've tried:

• A55
  • RP
  • R
  • Z7
  • EM10
  • EM5 ii
  • A7ii
  • A7iii
  • A6300 (by far the worst)
As I said, the EM5ii was easily the best of that bunch, but they're all still really awful. Look at the viewfinder and look and the scene and they literally look nothing alike. Blacks are crushed, whites are blown, the brightness doesn't match, (EVF way too bright in the dark and way too dark in the sun) they're soft (or low-resolution), there are artifacts and blurring when moving, panning or zooming, colors don't come close to matching, etc.

• Love
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
As I said, the EM5ii was easily the best of that bunch, but they're all still really awful. Look at the viewfinder and look and the scene and they literally look nothing alike. Blacks are crushed, whites are blown, the brightness doesn't match, (EVF way too bright in the dark and way too dark in the sun) they're soft (or low-resolution), there are artifacts and blurring when moving, panning or zooming, colors don't come close to matching, etc.

That's . . . exactly the point. The viewfinder displays what the sensor is going to capture. If it doesn't look like the scene, adjust your settings until it suits you.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Okay, I didn't try those.

I've tried:

• A55
  • RP
  • R
  • Z7
  • EM10
  • EM5 ii
  • A7ii
  • A7iii
  • A6300 (by far the worst)

The brigthness not matching is a feature for me, not a bug. The MP-E65mm at full magnification is really, really dark, the f/2.8 setting results in an effective f/17. Getting a DoF preview at f/11 will give you an effective f/66. Not to mention using 10x magnification in the EVF to ensure you're focussed on the right part of the scene.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
That's . . . exactly the point. The viewfinder displays what the sensor is going to capture. If it doesn't look like the scene, adjust your settings until it suits you.

No. That is exactly false.

The EVF displays what the in-camera JPEG is going to produce from the data the sensor is going to capture. It doesn't display what the sensor captures.

The final image could be many different things depending on processing. In my opinion, the best thing to do processing-wise is to try to produce and image that looks like the real scene looked after human visual-system processing, in most cases. And that's the reason the EVF should look like the scene looks, not like the out-of-camera JPEG.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
The brigthness not matching is a feature for me, not a bug. The MP-E65mm at full magnification is really, really dark, the f/2.8 setting results in an effective f/17. Getting a DoF preview at f/11 will give you an effective f/66. Not to mention using 10x magnification in the EVF to ensure you're focussed on the right part of the scene.

There are limited reasons why you'd want that, including ND filters. But that should be a selectable option, not the always-on default.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Unfortunately not. The viewfinder shows how the captured scene will look in the viewfinder. I'm not supposed to like it this way; I don't expect anyone to watch my pictures through the viewfinder.

Upvote 0
I didn't sell my 5DMkIV. I like it too much. And it has 2 cards, GPS, works well with telephotos (I mean I can shoot birds with big teles efficiently although I rarely use it for this). Also it is not practical to exchange lenses some with the ring adaptor some without. And last but not least its battery lasts 4 times the shots it lasts in an EOS R.
I agree with all that but I had to sell it simply because my aging arthritic hands can no longer deal with a body that heavy and large (I'm not a pro.)

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
I suggest you test the Leica SL 2 or the Panasonic S 1, their EVFs are superb !

If Leica or Panasonic will offer a 24hour turnaround for repairs, a presence at major events for loaners and repairs like we get at the Olympics and a CPS like program for professionals. I might try one of their cameras. Let me know when they do that! Thank you....

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
It's potential news like this which makes me happy to wait and continue to shoot with my 5D3. The Mk4 and the R are just too much of an incremental bump. It's been 7 years, I can be patient for another long term body and not a stop gap.

If you are happy with a 5D3, I suggest you at least consider getting either an R or a 5D4 at current great prices.

The 5D4 and R are a lot better in just about every way than the 5D3 IMHO. Using either for any length of time will likely have you getting rid of the 5D3 pretty quick. Mine ended up in a drawer as a backup. Then after getting the R my 5d4 does that now, except for birds etc or else in cold weather.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com

No it doesn't. It shows you the view with the lens at its widest aperture, not at the aperture that you've set, and with the exposure adjusted to simulate the exposure you'll get with the correct aperture. Unless you're using the DOF preview.

Upvote 0