Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

If they are really killing DPAF for raw video, then :(, we'll have to see what Nikon offers. I could live with 20mp, but not raw video wtihout DPAF.

You can't live without a feature that no other camera offers (in camera raw recording with phase detection AF) and you can probably count on one hand or less how many professional grade video cameras can pull it off?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Other cameras offer FF 4k raw (ie Sigma FP) but don't have DPAF either. So why stick with Canon when their main video selling point is disabled for raw?

To be clear, unless something dramatic is changing here, their phase detection AF is next to useless for video, that's why it isn't even included in their Cinema line. Canon have one great video feature, in that they can match Sony's video AF, but they (apparently) want you to pay for a C500 to get it & FF 4k raw together.
Sony are going to stay the leaders and kill this camera with a new release before this is 1/3 of the way though it's product life. Yes it takes time, but the tide is turning because Canon still have a monopoly mentality when Sony is taking away their past dominance one product line at at time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Other cameras offer FF 4k raw (ie Sigma FP) but don't have DPAF either. So why stick with Canon when their main video selling point is disabled for raw?

The sigma is also only 8 bit RAW - it's quasi raw. using only UHS-II rated cards, so that gives you an idea on the bit rate.

The sigma also doesn't have a mechanical shutter and can't really be used as anything but a video camera.

You mentioned cameras? Which other ones offer it?

I mean in case you didn't see it, there's a whole bunch of specs dealing with things like stills shooting that is the 1DX Mark III's primary purpose. The video specs while important, are still secondary to the main use cases of this camera.

IMO, and probably rightly so, anyone investing in shooting RAW video is probably also focusing their cini lenses on the camera manually.

Anyways, my main curiosity was the fact that you couldn't live without a feature that basically hasn't existed before.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The main lower cost video offerings are Sony (with awesome video AF but no raw) and Black Magic 6k with raw, a traditional S35 crop factor but no AF. Panny are in between with their S1H, FF 6k, no raw but some AF.
Meanwhile, Sony's FX9 will offer FF 4k raw with excellent AF later this year, and Nikon are yet to spill the beans on their new body, even though good video AF isn't expected at the moment.
I'm after a hybrid camera, you can get decent stills from quality 4k raw video, 5.4k would be even better if it was in focus...

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
WTF. This sounds great, but the MAIN feature in my opinion for videographers is the DPAF. If they realy remove this, it would be a total Dealbreaker for me. If they would do this, I don't see any important advantage over my Lumix S1H which at least has IBIS and great codec options and beautiful colors.
This cant be real. PLEASE Canon, PLEASE. This would be the perfect camera for me.... but without DPAF (and IBIS) its truely disapointing.
This 5,4k RAW would be a nice addition - but DPAF is 1000000x more important. Higher resolutions are not realy that important. But the worls best AF certainly is!

Upvote 0
Personally, I use regular video cameras, but I generally have a SLR around for gimbals, or hard to mount locations, or bad weather Without DPAF, the stills camera is mostly useless for those purposes. If the 1dx iii had DPAF in RAW video, I would be extremely tempted to buy it to replace my R that I currently for those purposes. Of course, the 1D series has always been so heavy that it generally doesn’t work great for those purposes anyway. But for that small group of professionals that like to shoot with hybrid cameras as their primary camera, they don’t want to be stuck guessing on focus without DPAF.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Personally, I use regular video cameras, but I generally have a SLR around for gimbals, or hard to mount locations, or bad weather Without DPAF, the stills camera is mostly useless for those purposes. If the 1dx iii had DPAF in RAW video, I would be extremely tempted to buy it to replace my R that I currently for those purposes. Of course, the 1D series has always been so heavy that it generally doesn’t work great for those purposes anyway. But for that small group of professionals that like to shoot with hybrid cameras as their primary camera, they don’t want to be stuck guessing on focus without DPAF.
Exactly. no DPAF would be HUGE step back in my opinion. One step forward (5,4k RAW video) but than SUCH a big step back? thats crazy... Though not unheard of at Canon...

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
You can't live without a feature that no other camera offers (in camera raw recording with phase detection AF) and you can probably count on one hand or less how many professional grade video cameras can pull it off?
Its their biggest advantage right now. Without that I dont see why I wouldnt stick to my Lumix S1h. I love the 1DXII and the RAW feature on the Mark III is certainly great. But dismissing such an INCREDIBLE great and usefull feature... that would be a dealbreaker for me. I allreay hesitate to say if I like DPAF or IBIS more... but if will offer NEITHER of these, than I am out.
I cant realy belive it though.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
I believe you are missunderstanding the lack of DPAF in raw recording and also I didn´t read anything about raw video recording internally. If, and if the camera allows raw recording will be externally and of course int that situation you will loose dpaf capability.
From what I have understand, the camera wil record 10 bit 4:2:2 4k 50fps internally. And this is awesome! If you want to record raw must be externally, witch makes sense. Please correct me if i am wrong. Now....what is extremely awkward is the lack of DPAF in 4k 60fps!! What?? The 1dx mkII has it!!! And what i didnt hear nothing is about crop (is 4k cropped?) although for me is not important. I can live good with crop. And nothing about the codec. What codec uses? Do they abandon the motionjpeg or it will have the same codec? Does it have C-log?

About the camera...As i said, it will have really great upgrade in video features. Being able to record 10bit, 4:2:2 4k50fps will be great.You can already record 4k50fps (im in PAL region) with the MKII but with 8bit and 4:2:0 (if i recall correctly) so this will be a good upgrade. For stills though the camera is a little bit disappointing.... 20MP is some kind of low spec as we expected a bump in resolution to the 24mp at least. Good to have some improved autofocus but hard to see someone moving from Mkii to Mkiii just because of that...I will certainly not....Hope Canon can give us a little bit more, otherwise it will be hard to upgrade....

Upvote 0
WTF. This sounds great, but the MAIN feature in my opinion for videographers is the DPAF. If they realy remove this, it would be a total Dealbreaker for me. If they would do this, I don't see any important advantage over my Lumix S1H which at least has IBIS and great codec options and beautiful colors.
This cant be real. PLEASE Canon, PLEASE. This would be the perfect camera for me.... but without DPAF (and IBIS) its truely disapointing.
This 5,4k RAW would be a nice addition - but DPAF is 1000000x more important. Higher resolutions are not realy that important. But the worls best AF certainly is!

there's DPAF in 4k30p, just not RAW and 4K 60p.

it's not a case of "removing it" .. the problem is the processing of the sensor with DPAF. it's .. just a crazy amount of processing to do when the sensor is running flat out as it is. to do 4k60p and DPAF the sensor is actually running flat out at 120+ fps.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

pauloancarvalho

Skimboard athlete from Portugal.
Jan 3, 2020
This can't be true... No DPAF in 4k50? So, the 1d x ii has it but the iii does not? I really hope this is an error the the rumor specs. If it's not an error, then I guess I will be keeping my 1d x ii. For raw video with no AF already have blackmagic pocket with internal raw or the panasonic s1h with ibis. Let's wait to see if it's really true. Maybe it's a mistake and it's supposed to say "no DPAF in RAW", but "no DPAF in RAW + 4k60/50p" is too much to ask for. HUGE step backwards.

Upvote 0
This can't be true... No DPAF in 4k50? So, the 1d x ii has it but the iii does not? I really hope this is an error the the rumor specs. If it's not an error, then I guess I will be keeping my 1d x ii. For raw video with no AF already have blackmagic pocket with internal raw or the panasonic s1h with ibis. Let's wait to see if it's really true. Maybe it's a mistake and it's supposed to say "no DPAF in RAW", but "no DPAF in RAW + 4k60/50p" is too much to ask for. HUGE step backwards.

The 1dx mark ii has DPAF in 4k60 but it's cropped. It's not a step back, name another camera that can do full frame 4k60 with autofocus

Upvote 0

pauloancarvalho

Skimboard athlete from Portugal.
Jan 3, 2020
The 1dx mark ii has DPAF in 4k60 but it's cropped. It's not a step back, name another camera that can do full frame 4k60 with autofocus

DPAF for me is much more important than the no crop. I can compensate crop with a wider lens, simple as that. But having no DPAF oh boy. Then the only FF option with DPAF is the Canon C500. Other than that you have the Panasonic S1H Full Frame that has Auto-focus in 4k60. Not as good as DPAF but very usable.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0