Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Is the first spec list not just literally the 1Dx mark II specs? The list with 20 megapixels even says Cfast 2.0 and 16 fps, and the mark III definitely uses CF Express. Also says no log recording. I cant find anything in the first "leaked" list that isn't from the 1DX mark II. The other spec list that says pixels not specified looks much more accurate.

Edit: as Pekr also just pointed out, Dual Digic 6+ is also the same as 1Dx mark II.

I agree. I just pulled out my 1DXMKII specs and you can just lay them over these, with a few exceptions. Could this be a joke?

61 AF points?
Digic 6?????

The big draw for me and the vast majority of the sports shooters I know and work with is the OVF.

All the enhancement to focus with the LCD mean virtually NOTHING to us.

With all the fanfare and fireworks about video "and no LOG on the fire" (bad joke) but you can get a better video camera for less than half the price with so many more features and better ergonomics for video.

Why go to CFExpress for 20MP's ???? This makes no sense.

On the credibility scale I give this a "3" out of "10"

If this is true "who the heck" on the pro/agency level is going to buy a bunch of stock to replace all their MKII's ???

Canon can not be this stupid. I don't believe the specs and think it's just "Click Bait"

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I agree. I just pulled out my 1DXMKII specs and you can just lay them over these, with a few exceptions. Could this be a joke?...

I saw this on PhotoRumors last night, then reading the comments, it was clear that Adorama had just done a cut and paste of the 1DxII specs. So, move along, nothing to see here. But, it does indicate that we are getting close to announcements from both Nikon and Canon.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
They are currently testing it out in Spain (I guess still under NDA, of course)

On a monopod with a 200-400 on a set track where you KNOW where the cars are going to be and moving! Not a great test. How about football or kitesurfing where you have to swing for the stars in 360 degrees!!!! ?????

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
On a monopod with a 200-400 on a set track where you KNOW where the cars are going to be and moving! Not a great test. How about football or kitesurfing where you have to swing for the stars in 360 degrees!!!! ?????
Pish Posh...try kittens or a brick wall. If you have the cajones.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Why go to CFExpress for 20MP's ???? This makes no sense.
actually CFExpress would allow for faster buffer clearing which means with the same software code, your buffer is alot larger. it's going to either be 20MP or 24MP. don't expect much more than that. From my understanding, there was push back from pros about even using 20MP, they don't want that many MP's.

Buffer clearing is backed up by what we know - the buffer on the Mark III is five times deeper than that of the Mark II.

With all the fanfare and fireworks about video "and no LOG on the fire" (bad joke) but you can get a better video camera for less than half the price with so many more features and better ergonomics for video.

Also I'm not exactly aware of any full frame video cameras that can shoot raw video internally for under the price of the Mark III other than the SIgma FP, which can't really be used as a stills camera at all (no mechanical shutter at all). and has less ergonomics of the Mark III. Canon LOG is supported btw, that's been stated already in the specs, as well as 10 bit recording, with very few ILC cameras do.

Yes the specs are wrong btw, but not these points.

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
Hmmm... did the specs just get updates? I just read the list and noticed a bunch of logical improvements.

I use the 1Dxii professionally and see lots of differences here.

191 (151 cross type) AF points
Illuminated buttons
5x buffer depth
RAW video
Expanded iso range
No more CF card
Longer battery life
AF point controller on AF-on button
AF deep learning (I.e. probably a bit better than it already is)

Seems like a rather standard 1D update.

And as much as I love more megapixels, 20 has always been enough for anything I’d chose the 1D for...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The specs have been updated. CR guy should have opened a new thread, as now the first two pages are just outrage about something that's irrelevant.

It looks like they most noticeable change will be the AF performance? With such a big bump in AF points and the hugely increased iTR sensor resolution I guess the have made some big strides on the processing side of things to get an improvement in AF. I hope we haven't reached the limit of what Canon's new sensors can handle in terms of throughput yet though. It's kinda weird that the M6 II is still the champ.

Upvote 0

domo_p1000

EOS-1D X MkIII | EOS-1D X MkII
CR Pro
Aug 22, 2013
Good morning CanonRumors. Please might you add some clarification...

Last night the published 'specs' were undoubtedly those of the 1Dxii. Now the list is edited, removing (but not replacing) some of the clear 1Dxii details (Processor: Dual Digic 6+, etc.). It seems odd that these new 'full specs' do not include the all-important processor specs.

Has this re-published list been ratified at all, or has someone simply edited the originally published 1Dxii specs to include the known 1Dxiii specs and preclude those that are so clearly four years old?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
If the rumous of 5.9k video trials are correct then that implies at least a 23mpx sensor, you can't get 5.9k video from a 20mpx sensor (at least not without cheating)
Canon likely has different hardware configurations in circulation and the rumors about 'considering' this or that config came from this. This rumor here suggests 20 MP though, maybe Canon truly got better feedback from the guys using that and ditched the higher resolution video in favor of slightly smaller file sizes for stills.

At one point there was a rumor claiming that high DR was a priority for the 1DX III, maybe the smaller resolution allows Canon to do something cool in that regard, even though pixel size hasn't mattered for this traditionally.

If these specs are correct, I'm hoping we'll hear more about the high res R soon. That one at least has the potential to be a bit more aggressive in terms of pushing new features into the market.

Upvote 0
EOS 1DX Mark III (nokishita leaked specs)

STILLS: 5472 x 3648 = 19,961,856 pixels (3:2)
6.56 um pixel size
Maximum number of continuous shots (BUFFER):
• JPEG Large: 1,000 or more
• HEIF Large: 1,000 or more
• RAW: 1,000 or more
• RAW + JPEG Large: 1,000 or more
• RAW + HEIF Large: Approx. 350 images
* Using a Canon test standard 325GB card
Viewfinder shooting with Canon test standard 325GB card
* Shooting conditions
(subject, Memory card maker, ISO sensitivity, Picture Style, custom function, shooting conditions , and so on)
RAW movie 5.472k DCI
Canon Log (OFF / ON)
Recording format RAW (12bit)
Audio Linear PCM
Movie recording Image quality
RAW (5472 x 2886) DCI (15,792,192 pixels Cinema 2600Mbps 1:1 straight-read)
4K DCI (4096 x 2160)
4K DCI crop (4096 x 2160)
4K UHD (3840 x 2160)
Full HD (1920 x 1080)
Frame rate
119.9p / 59.94p / 29.97p / 24.00p / 23.98p (NTSC)
100.0p / 50.00p / 25.00p / 24.00p (PAL)
*High-speed frame Rate video: 119.9p / 100.0p
■ 1000+ 19.96mp RAW 14-bit CR3 BUFFER (STILLS)
BLACKOUT-FREE (Mechanical + Electronic Shutter) LCD
@ 20fps Live-View Actual-Capture e-REVIEW-Display LIVE
+
BLACKOUTS:
@ 16fps Optical TTL OVF Preview
■ FF 5.472k60p DCI 12-bit RAW Movie 2600Mbps 1:1 Straight-Read
= this is WAY BETTER than 30fps 14-to-12-bit RAW BURST ROLL Mode + Optional Pre-Capture

Upvote 0
Of course, pro´s are the target for selling this body. But as an amatuer, I´m disapointed by the 20MP. For my needs, 20Mp are much to less if you shoot birds.
Even the Sony 7R version 4 is able to do 10fps at 61MP. And this body is much lesser priced.

I´ll save my money and wait for the pro version of the R. Maybe, they recycle the 32MP sensor and make it a lot faster in shutter and AF.

Upvote 0