Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Can't believe so many complaints about 20MP. How many people on here actually own this sort of rig? Seriously. 20MP is fine for who/what this camera is built for. And in keeping it at 20MP, it looks like they were able to get even more high ISO performance out of it and presumably lower noise in low light. Now we get Full Frame 4k too with internal RAW, and that further begs the question will it be able to perhaps accommodate ProRes Raw externally to an Atomos like the Nikon MILCs do. And look at the AF upgrades. I use my DX2 for a lot of low light fast action and shooting at high ISOs. I've loved it so much it's become my go-to all arounder size aside.

I bought an EOS R mainly for video (and to replace an aging 5D3) because it allows me to record externally which is a huge deal for me and why I try not to use the DX2 for that. I think this DX3 camera looks brilliant on paper so far based on the updated confirmations today. I may look to sell my 1DX2 and upgrade once I see some real world info.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
2) 'Why all the crazy sad faces, why can't we all just sing happy Canon camp fire songs?" The people asking this don't appear to be the people who make their living with a camera in their hand, and who have large $$ of canon glass they dread selling. We would rather stay with Canon, we like Canon. but there is only so much under-specing and performance crippling we can handle when our career is at stake. New photographers are almost universally buying Sony, it's us older loyal guys who were hoping for a flagship camera that would still be relevant 3-4 years from now.
Assuming you've had a career with a camera, why is it suddenly 'at stake now'?
[/QUOTE]
Every new young punk has Sony cameras that out perform Canon in the most important ways (ie lower noise, AF, resolution, video capability), and as a result the market segments where Canon still rules are small and shrinking.

The 1DxIII as leaked will only keep a narrow share of hisorical 1 series customers happy. There is a market for this camera and certain shooters will love it. But the market this new camera will appeal to is just not as wide as it was for the MKII, orginal X, 1DMKIV, etc. Hence all the frown faces here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I was telling you that back when you were wondering about the 1D X II and the 5D IV Jack ;)
More like I think we all just know it intuitively but Canon refuses to give it.:cry: My idea was and still is a second camera given the present situation, and it won't be the 1DX3.

Jack

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
REALLY!!!?

* So why doesn't the old 1DxII with it's slower CPUs have any trouble running DPAF @ 4k 60p? It only has a modest 1.3 crop while doing it.
* You maybe ignorant of this, but the world is changing and hybrid shooting is the future. It was 9-10 years ago that the press industry started asking their stills shooters to also capture video. Vincent Laforet was one of your 'wannabe video shooters' back then, look where he is now. Many of us have and are transitioning to tomorrow's growing hybrid world.
I don't know what the difference is. I am not an electronic engineer. But I am guessing you aren't either and you actually have no idea what you are complaining about. Or am I wrong? Are you some friggen genius that could easily implement it given 5 mnutes of your sapre time?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I agree with you in that hybrid abilities are more important to me than >20mp. However, if Canon wanted a broad range of people to like/buy this camera, rather than just sports event shooters, 24-26mp would have given it broad appeal.
Why would anyone sacrifice high iso performance to have fraction higher res on paper?
I hardly notice the 10 mp increase from the 1dx2 to the R, but noise bothers me when shooting higher ISO’s.

Upvote 0

Russ6357

CR Pro
Dec 17, 2019
Can't believe so many complaints about 20MP. How many people on here actually own this sort of rig? Seriously. 20MP is fine for who/what this camera is built for. And in keeping it at 20MP, it looks like they were able to get even more high ISO performance out of it and presumably lower noise in low light. Now we get Full Frame 4k too with internal RAW, and that further begs the question will it be able to perhaps accommodate ProRes Raw externally to an Atomos like the Nikon MILCs do. And look at the AF upgrades. I use my DX2 for a lot of low light fast action and shooting at high ISOs. I've loved it so much it's become my go-to all arounder size aside.

I bought an EOS R mainly for video (and to replace an aging 5D3) because it allows me to record externally which is a huge deal for me and why I try not to use the DX2 for that. I think this DX3 camera looks brilliant on paper so far based on the updated confirmations today. I may look to sell my 1DX2 and upgrade once I see some real world info.

I do, as a serious amateur who invests much of my disposable income on wildlife photography I’d have hoped we, as a segment, would be better served.

late 20s to 30 MP is in my experience the sweet spot. Even a lowly 15% improvement in pixels on target makes my 500 more like a 600 and with a 1.4 my 700 more like 800. It would I’m fact have made it likely I would have bought a new 400 f2.8.

Upvote 0
Why would anyone sacrifice high iso performance to have fraction higher res on paper?
I hardly notice the 10 mp increase from the 1dx2 to the R, but noise bothers me when shooting higher ISO’s.
Start a poll here and see what people want. Canon clearly didn't. BTW, Sony offers both higher res and lower noise. Just saying.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Well I'm buying for sure. Leaves me with couple questions though...

How good is the eye-AF compared to Sony, or Eye-AF-quality in general compared against PDAF.

Is HEIF still worse than RAW? I assume yes?

Maximum burst RAW-mode: 1000 or more (= as long as you could ever shoot)

Video goes up to 120fps on FullHD. Does is to DPAF on that, or disable DPAF like they did on 5D4 (which they didn't clearly advertise, and for which I'm still mad about.)

Hope the memory price comes down too.

Upvote 0
As a 1dx11 shooter with 2 bodies, both over 1.5 million actuations, I am definitely ok with higher ISO and better dynamic range. 90% of my photos are shot as M2 (9 MP), so 20 MP is not an issue. In terms of focus, the big thing I want to see is better tracking on subjects wearing black clothing.
Curious, what do you shoot? I would have guessed school photos but you don't need tracking for that.

• Haha
Upvote 0

I think it has to do with the 1d being the flagship. You want to see higher megapixels and good noise management. This is a 6k dollar rig after all.

Upvote 0
EOSHD has a leak about the Sony A7SIII sensor. Full frame 4.8K video oversampled from 60 million 7.52um photosites. There is a 3840 x 2160 @ 90fps mode (uncropped I presume, could be wrong) , and by switching off the over sampling, a 61 megapixel readout mode at frame rates up to 15fps.

Next Canon = 16fps @20mp
Next Sony = 15fps @60mp

I don't think Canon has a speed issue. This is apple and oranges.

Upvote 0
In the future, imagine cameras had the power to just take full 20mp+ video and you just pick the screen grabs as the photos you want. Photography wouldn't exist. you'd just take a video and pick your photos later.
And give up control of my shutter speed on a per image basis? No thanks

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2019
90% of the people complaining wouldn't buy this camera anyway. If you really NEED 4k RAW output because the production is costing hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars and you need every guarantee that your footage is golden then please tell me why you didn't hire a professional focus puller? 4k RAW is pointless for youtube videos. Heck, its pointless for most streaming platforms....

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
So seems like the 20mp is giving different reactions. And its normal because they only count to people who actually needs higher MP. For a sports shooter or a photojornalist we dont care about MP so much, i normally shoot about 9mp anyway and thats about what editors want. No one have time to shoot raw, so this segment of users tend to care more to great jpeg compression than anything else...For this works 20MP is stellar!

However....If I want a camera for wildlife and nature....that´s another question....It´s not only the crop capability, it´s also the possibility of printing bigger without compromising quality. 1Dx mkII is a huge camera and I love mine, but...I came recently from Antarctica andguess what...1dxmkII stayed at home and replaced her with the Sony A7r3. Why? Because sony gives me 42MP at 10FPS with a decent buffer (although i hate the processing time). So for this job what i wanted was a camera that gives me great resolution for the massive icebergs, great sharpness and also could give me the possibility of shooting fast for wildlife. Now...don´t get me wrong, i love my 1dx2 and i dont see myself selling it! As a matter off fact, despite i am having great results with sony, i am just waiting that canon puts inthe market a good resolution EOS R camera to sell the Sony. I just love Canon and Sony+adapters...well....mehhh...not to good at least for fast autofocusing.

So in this situation of course MP matters!! And thats why guys like me, tend to get a little disappointed having a new camera getting out with same resolution sensor....Now i know that of course thats not the only thing it matters....but is important so dont be "offended" when someone gets disappointed with this spec! Perfectly normal.

From video perspective i´ve said it some posts behind, camera is huge! I am on the market for the new upcoming EOS R pro with good resolution...or maybe selling also the 1dx2 for the new action eos R. Having a big hope that they are around the corner....This 1dx3 despite the really good specs....just didn´t convinced me to get it. At least yet, as we do know that specs is not real life use! And this camera still could surprise me even more! ; ) We´ll see!

Upvote 0