Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Man, every single thread is just on and on with complaining and trolling. It’s why I don’t contribute much anymore. I finally have working gear, you know the atrocious, horrible let down of a camera, the R. And I like to engage in light fun positive conversations, not this endless cr@p...
While I generally agree with your comment, I think this is a little different. Most of those expressing disappointment seem to be actual buyers of the 1D series. These are not the folks who whine "if it doesn't have IBIS and 8K video I'm switching to Sony." These are people who have bought and would continue to buy the 1 series, but are questioning whether the III will have sufficient improvements to justify the cost of upgrading.

There is still a lot we don't know about the camera and that we won't know until it is actually in users' hands. But, it strikes me that Canon (and Nikon -- which is also apparently going with a 20mp sensor) have made it more difficult, rather than easier, to convince users to upgrade.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
So for sports... why wouldn't you just shoot 5.4k at 60p? Rolling shutter typically isn't an issue for most human sports.
Besides the 1.9:1 aspect ratio and the AF being disabled in this mode, the 2600 Mbps bitrate is insanely high.

It does shoot 20fps RAW stils with live-view, although the Servo-AF is probably not in its best mode.

Upvote 0
While I generally agree with your comment, I think this is a little different. Most of those expressing disappointment seem to be actual buyers of the 1D series. These are not the folks who whine "if it doesn't have IBIS and 8K video I'm switching to Sony." These are people who have bought and would continue to buy the 1 series, but are questioning whether the III will have sufficient improvements to justify the cost of upgrading.

There is still a lot we don't know about the camera and that we won't know until it is actually in users' hands. But, it strikes me that Canon (and Nikon -- which is also apparently going with a 20mp sensor) have made it more difficult, rather than easier, to convince users to upgrade.

Unfocused hit the nail on the head. I have been going crazy waiting for info on this camera. I was even planning to cash in some airline points and fly to New York and buy one in store. I don't think this is going to be a bad camera. Only these specs have deflated my party ballon a bit. I may still get one I am just not dying to get in line.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
In the future, imagine cameras had the power to just take full 20mp+ video and you just pick the screen grabs as the photos you want. Photography wouldn't exist. you'd just take a video and pick your photos later.

They would still exist, but their daily task and work detail would be different.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It saved me a ton of money!

I was looking to get an M5 MkII, two 1D X MkIII's and a high resolution R this year so around $20,000. Canon have blown the first two so only the high resolution R remains, so maybe $3,000 in June? If that R is a dud I'll get a 5Ds for <$1,300. I'll pick up another M5 II for $449 before the B&H offer finishes.

Basically Canon are going to be getting pennies off me in 2020 instead of a comparative windfall, I'm sure they have factored that in but I'm sure I'm not alone in my thinking.
My reaction is fairly similar. My personal purchase road map had been a 1DxIII and then eventually replacing my 5DIV with the next generation RII. (Using the R and RII as my main cameras and the 1DXIII for sports.) Now, I'm wondering what the 5DV will offer. If the next generation 5D offers 9-10fps, I'm not sure I need the 1Dx.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
My reaction is fairly similar. My personal purchase road map had been a 1DxIII and then eventually replacing my 5DIV with the next generation RII. (Using the R and RII as my main cameras and the 1DXIII for sports.) Now, I'm wondering what the 5DV will offer. If the next generation 5D offers 9-10fps, I'm not sure I need the 1Dx.

You hit the nail on the head again. For now I have a 1dx, 5d4 and recently acquired m50. My plans were 1dx3, EosR2, and m5 or 50 2. I may skip the 1dx3 pick up a 1dx2 used, and wait for the 5d5 or R2. Not sure at this point. I really don't need 20fps. I would be happy with 10.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
But I am not looking for cheap. I am willing to pay for all three.
The analogy is not for cameras sake word for word, it's for analogy sake. Cheap isn't part of the 1DX equation, never has been, the post which first made the pick two statement had a point, you missed it. Oh and I'm glad you are flush with cash, credit and hubris.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
But I am not looking for cheap. I am willing to pay for all three.
Bravo. Those of us willing to pay are dissatisfied. Those of us who use the camera to make a living are dissatisfied. Canon has stumbled here tactically and strategically.

Our agency will wait until we get an OVF with 24+ MP

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The analogy is not for cameras sake word for word, it's for analogy sake. Cheap isn't part of the 1DX equation, never has been, the post which first made the pick two statement had a point, you missed it. Oh and I'm glad you are flush with cash, credit and hubris.

It is a common saying and cheap is one leg of the triangle. It applies to backpacking gear, telescopes bicycles. You name it. That being said if you remove cheap from the triangle there is usually a product for you. You just have to pay for it.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
Canon Rumors Premium
You hit the nail on the head again. For now I have a 1dx, 5d4 and recently acquired m50. My plans were 1dx3, EosR2, and m5 or 50 2. I may skip the 1dx3 pick up a 1dx2 used, and wait for the 5d5 or R2. Not sure at this point. I really don't need 20fps. I would be happy with 10.
You're like my brother from another mother!:)
I also have the 1DX, the 5D Mark IV and fairly recently I purchased the EOS-R. I was really looking at the 1DX3 but for me the 20MP resolution is a major letdown. I'll probably get a used 1DX2, sell my 5D Mark IV and the original 1DX.
I have too much and too expensive Canon glass, so the Sony A9 would not work for me.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Its business. We want 24+ MP with an OVF at 15fps RAW. And yes... we are willing to pay for what we need. $8K per body and my shop buys a lot of bodies.

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
I will admit I am not a technical guy, but if I have two files with the same aspect one is 20mp and the other is 24mp are you saying I cannot print 20% larger at 300dpi with the 24mp file?
Since Mpixels refer to the whole area 20% larger (or 1.20 ) is about 9.5 larger each side (1.095 * 1.095). So of course you can print but a little less than 10% each size. Still better of course. I would prefer it 24mpixel too although I do not know If I would buy it since I own 5DsR 5DIV and R (Oh and a forgotten 7D2!). If it was c28Mpixel it could replace my 5DIV.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010

Yes, for those people I agree with you, and I’ve seen a few of those comments also, not knocking that. It’s just all the other noise all the time that’s harder to ignore.

I could’ve been in the market for a 1dx3 also, but kind of felt that the great things with the 1dx2 wasn’t a match for the great things with the R and made the switch. And looking at how “easy” is to sell a mint 1dx2 for anything more than pocket change I say the choice was right for me.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017

That was exactly my plan.
I allready got a Lumix S1H because the 1DX II felt a bit dated for video work and the way better codec options are a charme to work with.
I realy like the fullframe look and I realy love the 4k60 on the 1DX II. Together with DPAF its a perfect combo on a gimbal.
But now, if they truly offer NO DPAF in 4k60, I dont think I can justify another 7000€ to upgrade to the mark III. The RAW video is an incredible feature, but the DPAF is more important in the everyday work.

Upvote 0

NorskHest

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 11, 2018
Minnesota - US
Visit site
So most of you on here are complaining about a camera that next to none of you will own. And most of you have never worked with a raw workflow for video let alone in such a small form factor hell none of us really have. Whether this camera write 4K raw internally or 6K to mitigate all that heat that will be generated and have to do the auto focus is a feat I can’t comprehend and none of you probably can. This is a rumor site and we all have to wait. If this is the final spec list. A 1dxmkii is still a great camera

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
Of course 1DxII is a great camera an dI assume 1DxIII will be a better one. I for one don't care about video (but I respect other's needs of course). Judging from the improvements in the previous incarnations of 1D series and the 5DIV quality I would assume that a higher megapixel 1DxIII would be possible without compromising quality or speed (1DxII is very fast anyway).

There is maybe the possibility that Canon did with 1DxIII what they did with 5DIII. Both were the cameras the previous versions should be (assuming the rumor is correct of course).

We will see.

Now where is a superfast birding camera?

Upvote 0