Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

Jan 29, 2011
So you think Canon wants to steer their professional customers to a tiny camera without a built in viewfinder and no weather sealing? I haven't used the m62, and it looks like a nice little camera, but is it usable for birds in flight photography? I thought the auto focus was suspect for fast erratic action.

I was on the verge of buying the m6, but settled on the m50 as a travel rig due to the viewfinder.
You laugh, I am doing more and more paid work with my M5, my other cameras are 1DX MkII's. You don't need durability when you can afford to throw the cameras away!

Upvote 0
You laugh, I am doing more and more paid work with my M5, my other cameras are 1DX MkII's. You don't need durability when you can afford to throw the cameras away!

I am not laughing. I am really curious. I do dog photography for a few clients. Dogs in action doing dog like things. If an M62 is a good tool for that type of photography I am all ears. I would still wait for a model with built in viewfinder.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
20% or so, which is decent. I think what frustrates people is Canon is basically saying you cannot have a pixel dense sensor, with great auto focus and good frames rates.

Mega Pixels, Frame Rate Auto Focus, Canon says pick two.
It's really perplexing. SONY makes amazing sensors for Hasselblad. 24mp at 15fps RAW with an OVF cant be impossible.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

I'm not in the market for such a body. Overall, it sounds like solid specifications. Almost everything is improved, but nothing is new. No new features that make you think the camera is innovative in any regards.

Will Canon throw something really cool in their next 5D? Let's hope so. IBIS and a solution (they exist) to get rid of AFMA once and for good would be nice. But I also think that such features would make 1DXIII owners upset. So, I don't have my hope too high.

My dream DSLR would be a D850 [replacement] with EF mount.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I am not laughing. I am really curious. I do dog photography for a few clients. Dogs in action doing dog like things. If an M62 is a good tool for that type of photography I am all ears. I would still wait for a model with built in viewfinder.
I used to shoot sheep dog trials, I could easily do 90% of that with my M5, 100% with an M5 II assuming it had all the specs of the M6 II with built in viewfinder.

Upvote 0
I used to shoot sheep dog trials, I could easily do 90% of that with my M5, 100% with an M5 II assuming it had all the specs of the M6 II with built in viewfinder.

But no M5mk2 coming right?

I will wait and see the announcement. Maybe the files will be beautiful. I really am looking for one camera body to do it all.

Upvote 0

I use my M6 mk II for semi pro motorsport and for paid other sports work. Best camera I have, abeit I really wish I could get it in a fully weather sealed body.The clip on viewfinder doesnt bother me. Dog photography will be a total breeze

Upvote 0
OK, so all complaining aside, who exactly is this camera aimed at?

Well... who has been buying the 1Dx and 1Dx2? Those are the people it'll be aimed at.

I was hoping for the same, go out, dump everything into the final DSLR pro-body ever to be made. Get one last push/surge in the market, make all those customers happy for a few years, and in the meantime work on and then release a BEAST pro-body R that we can move on to.

It was never going to be that. There's never been a unicorn product, from any producer of any type of tool. If it's called a 1Dx3, it's always going to be like the 1Dx2 with some improvements. That's how it works. The world hasn't miraculously changed just because 40% of people are buying mirrorless cameras now (or whatever the real figures are).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
20% or so, which is decent.

20%. If of no consequence then drop it to 16MP. ;)

No, it's less than 10%. You're forgetting that MPs represent an area, but the 'reach' is a linear measurement, so you have to take the square root of the difference. So √24/20=1.095, or a 9.5% increase - so the difference between using a 500mm lens and a ~548mm lens.

This is why going from the 5D3 to the 5Ds which I did a few years ago wasn't a more than doubling of equivalent reach (22MP>50MP) but only an increase of ~50% "reach" (ignoring diffraction etc). You get diminishing returns. I like resolution, but the 1 series was never going to offer that, although 20MP sounds to be at the bottom end of the range of predictions.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
No, it's less than 10%. You're forgetting that MPs represent an area, but the 'reach' is a linear measurement, so you have to take the square root of the difference. So √24/20=1.095, or a 9.5% increase - so the difference between using a 500mm lens and a ~548mm lens.

I will admit I am not a technical guy, but if I have two files with the same aspect one is 20mp and the other is 24mp are you saying I cannot print 20% larger at 300dpi with the 24mp file?

Upvote 0
As for Imaging Systems, although we expect sales and profit decline for interchangeable-lens cameras due to market contraction and a worsening of the competitive environment, we are focusing on redistributing resource to mirrorless cameras, where we are steadily increasing sales by enhancing our lineup of cameras and lenses

If they are redistributing resources to mirrorless camera they should at least have a pro body to go with all that nice glass.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
20% or so, which is decent. I think what frustrates people is Canon is basically saying you cannot have a pixel dense sensor, with great auto focus and good frames rates.

Mega Pixels, Frame Rate Auto Focus, Canon says pick two.
It's that way with many things, take bicycle frames. Light, Strong, cheap. Pick 2.

Upvote 0
It saved me a ton of money!

I was looking to get an M5 MkII, two 1D X MkIII's and a high resolution R this year so around $20,000. Canon have blown the first two so only the high resolution R remains, so maybe $3,000 in June? If that R is a dud I'll get a 5Ds for <$1,300. I'll pick up another M5 II for $449 before the B&H offer finishes.

Basically Canon are going to be getting pennies off me in 2020 instead of a comparative windfall, I'm sure they have factored that in but I'm sure I'm not alone in my thinking.
I don't think the high resolution R will be a dud but I guess it will be more expensive than most people thought. Personal guess: $3.500 in the USA and 4.000€ in Germany.

Upvote 0