Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Well, its a NEW camera for probably nearly 7000$ (+another 1000$ you will need for new cards). So why would these "entitled people" not expect some noteable improvements over yesterday?
In the resolution and the missing DPAF I see a step back, certainly not a step forward...
Yesterday's Technology. It's obsolescence is guaranteed out of the box.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Seeing the new specs. I maintain what i have said. In stills terms there is not much of an improvement.... (EDIT: HEIF new format is an improvement!! ) but we still need to see what AF can offer. In video terms....what a different story. This camera have huge improvements. 5.4k raw internally?? Wow. I believe it will only be 25fps and maybe limited recording time, but is a big jump. Bitrate is insane! From a videographer perspective it will only lack the 4k120fps or 1080hd 240fps but..you cant have it all! However, nice move from Canon to video/stills (hybrid users).
The dpaf is something that you could ask of course, but i can´t see that this comes with big disadvantage if you dont have it. And I still believe you will have dpaf at 4k50fps crop.
Now...shooting raw will make gigantous files!! Like 128gb will give you for 3/4 minutes of video! :D (just a number, not anything cientific.)
Happy to see that the cripple hammer of canon didn´t make too much damage this time, and it allows 4k signal output, making the hope of 4k120fps recording externally! Hope so.

Let´s see what comes, but the camera is promising, despite not too much exciting for stills only

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Just as a caveat, I'm not a pro sports shooter. If I'm ever on the sideline of an NFL game, it's because I fell out of the stands in a drunken stupor, celebrating a Browns super bowl win. Which means "ain't gonna happen". :)

The 20 wouldn't be good for my bird photography (where 'pixels-per-duck' rules), I really like what the 5D4 (and now R) does for me with its 30. I'm also experimenting with the M6 II and it shows promise, though it's a tradeoff of very high pixel density vs the cleaner high-ISO of the full frame bodies.

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
It really sucks if its true no 4k60p af. This is insane especially when they talked about it having DPAF in 4k. Looks like the Canon Cripple hammer is at it again

Needs clarification, but I think that it will have autofocus at 4K/60, but just not DPAF. The amount of data being processed is insane at that level.

It appears that it does DPAF at 4K/30 as well as all the 1080 modes, but I'd wait until the official announcement and specs are released to be sure.

EDIT: From looking at another site, it appears that there's no AF at 4K/60 or RAW/60. Not even a lessor mode of AF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Need clarification on the 40k/60fps DPAF if in cropped mode. Why would the 1dxii have it but not the 1dx miii? Also for 120fps mode I see an all-i option and a high frame rate option, does this mean we finally get sound recording in 120fps? Always found it weird how the 1dx mark ii had 120fps but no sound recording.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
My personal perspective (because it's all about me.:) )

Had it had 24-30 mp I know I would have upgraded. At 20 mp I want to see what else it offers.

Canon is promising significant improvements in autofocus. In my opinion, the 1Dx II autofocus had the greatest need for improvement, so I will be very carefully studying reviews and likely checking the camera out through CPS to see for myself. The autofocus improvements I want to see are very specific to sports shooting (better tracking of one player moving fast and erratically across a field or court while surrounded by others).

Higher frame rates are nice, but I've not seen much practical advantage in most situations beyond 10 fps.

Fast file transfer rates are meaningless to me, because as a one-man band I don't have anyone to transfer the files to. I get why this is important to a small group of elite photographers at the professional sports level, but I don't see that it is going to sell a lot of cameras. Frankly the 1DxII should have had wireless and bluetooth.

I seldom shoot video, so that's not a motivating factor for me.

So, I'm not ruling it out, but I'm not counting the days until its release either. I have to think there are a lot of other photographers who will take a similar wait and see attitude.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
Don't forget about 1dx level autofocus and tracking, but with an aps-c body with awkward handling once you add adapters, and more or less the same EVF blackout as the EOS-R while capturing at much higher frame rates for short buffer filling bursts with the M6II.

I've read all sorts of people who have had wonderful experiences using the m6ii for birding, except for the fact that you can't take it out in inclement weather and/or rough conditions, and the awkward handling because of the small size. That's why I suspect Canon is sandbagging this years first half releases - I wouldn't be surprised if the RII and maybe even the R High Rez had modes that meet or exceed the 1dxIII, with the exception of being rugged. They want to sell high end RF glass, and artificially keeping the (potentially) last 1d series ef camera better than the RF versions is not the way to do that. Next years 1d hybrid viewfinder ef/rf monster will blow this one away too.
We've been hearing for a couple years how the NEXT canon camera will SURELY blow away their current offerings.....

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Just could come to fruition that this new 20 mp sensor is nothing like the old sensors. Canon knows it's base for the 1D line, they may just change of few complainers minds on this forum when bodies are in hands. That is, are these folks are actual customers and not just spec sheet keyboard 'Pro's'.

This happens quite often with Canon..., nothing but whining in the beginning, a short period of silence outside of particular youtuber reviews filled with glaring holes and lack of understanding, followed by glowing accolades by actual users who have photograpghs (gasp!) to back it up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
Man, every single thread is just on and on with complaining and trolling. It’s why I don’t contribute much anymore. I finally have working gear, you know the atrocious, horrible let down of a camera, the R. And I like to engage in light fun positive conversations, not this endless cr@p...

People are disappointed...what do you want?

Upvote 0
It's just a non-starter for me. I was hoping for 28 MP, then I would be looking at it seriously. I still have a perfectly working 1DsIII which shoots 21.1MP. Yes, it is only 5 frame/s, but then I am not a professional sports photo guy. I can take what I get. As for the video, it is pretty cool with the RAW capability. But there are other alternatives that are cheaper. We should see a number of cameras hit the market this year with some really great video capabilities.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
OK, so all complaining aside, who exactly is this camera aimed at?

Bird / Nature Photographers that shoot full-frame? You have the FPS, but then you have way less ability to crop than say the A9ii. So that's a no to me.

Sports photographers? Similar to the bird/nature photographers, but the cropping issue is lessened. So maybe that's who this is aimed at? But why would you upgrade over the Mk ii?

Videographers? There's some great features (5.xK)...but then at the highest levels you remove DPAF, or even it appears ANY autofocus from 4k60/raw60. This from a flagship camera. You can point out that other brands don't have DPAF...but that was Canon's advantage. So they're removing that from the highest levels of shooting.

Studio shooters? Again, super low MP count...in a controlled environment with controlled lighting the high-ISO capabilities are negated somewhat.

Those waiting for the pro-body R? Maybe people that need to upgrade now (or just want to) but don't want to wait 2 years for a pro-body R? That seems the most likely to me.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
"20MP" and "(No DPAF in 4K 60p or 4K RAW)"

no way Canon is doing as much as they could..... what a shame! I thought it will be a REAL beast and last phoenix of DSLR-Pro bodys with everything you can put into.... like 24-30MP@16-20FPS etc...

I was hoping for the same, go out, dump everything into the final DSLR pro-body ever to be made. Get one last push/surge in the market, make all those customers happy for a few years, and in the meantime work on and then release a BEAST pro-body R that we can move on to.

Upvote 0