Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I have asked this question before and I thought it was answered in the affirmative. I don't know. I am not a technical guy. Can I not print 20% larger with 24mp image vs 20mp at 300dpi?

You can print 9.5% wider and 9.5% taller, which gives you 20% more area.

To be able to print 20% wider and 20% taller, you need 44% more pixels, or 28.8MP vs. 20MP.

As far as subject size in the resulting print is concerned, that additional enlargement allowed by a 24MP vs. 20MP camera has the same effect as a lens with 9.5% more focal length.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
If the new AF mean that the AF will be better at focussing on a moving subject against a complex background then it will be a definite improvement for wildlife photographers - that would have a disproportionate improvement on keeper rate.
But I'm not sure I can justify the outlay for that when my tracking/panning skills would likely render it pretty much meaningless :mad:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Really? 50% of the photographers I know (for my country) that are going to Tokyo are now Sony shooters. Me I don't know yet.

I'm pretty sure majority of cameras at Tokyo will be Canons. Naturally can't speak for your friends/country, but I'm willing to bet <20% of the cameras we'll see at the stands will be Sonys, and >60% will be Canons.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
If this is true, Canon has clearly shut down their DSLR development dept.
Just a very dissapointing update on the mark II.

I have spoken to resellers and the numbers are shocking. 90% less pre-order sales on this mark III compared to the mark II.
So either everybody is waiting for what 2020 will bring on the mirrorless Pro side, or most of Canon Pro users are gone to Sony.

Who on earth is willing to pay 6,5k for this? Not me for sure and lots of colleagues with me..

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
I agree. I just pulled out my 1DXMKII specs and you can just lay them over these, with a few exceptions. Could this be a joke?

61 AF points?
Digic 6?????

The big draw for me and the vast majority of the sports shooters I know and work with is the OVF.

All the enhancement to focus with the LCD mean virtually NOTHING to us.

With all the fanfare and fireworks about video "and no LOG on the fire" (bad joke) but you can get a better video camera for less than half the price with so many more features and better ergonomics for video.

Why go to CFExpress for 20MP's ???? This makes no sense.

On the credibility scale I give this a "3" out of "10"

If this is true "who the heck" on the pro/agency level is going to buy a bunch of stock to replace all their MKII's ???

Canon can not be this stupid. I don't believe the specs and think it's just "Click Bait"

YOU ABSOLUTELY NAILED IT HERE. Canon is insulting us with this camera. Shame!

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure majority of cameras at Tokyo will be Canons. Naturally can't speak for your friends/country, but I'm willing to bet <20% of the cameras we'll see at the stands will be Sonys, and >60% will be Canons.
I'd agree, but wait till the next Olympics (Paris 2024). This is the last niche where Canon still has as a strong hold, and it is shrinking.

When there were no real alternatives, the pro world had to put up with arrogant, monopolistic Canon who would do things like add an extra heat sink to a 1Dx, switch on better video capture in firmware, and charge US$15k for it. This is Canon's colors. Hold back their best tech and find ways to extort the market with it.

But now Sony has said with their wallet that they want the market Canon has been abusing. It takes time, but the tide is turning.

With this camera Canon is still displaying their true colors. Switching off DPAF is now a trade mark Canon move.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
I have spoken to resellers and the numbers are shocking. 90% less pre-order sales on this mark III compared to the mark II.

Troll much? Not one single store I know has pre-orders available yet. So to my knowledge the pre-order sales are 100% less than Mark2. 5D Mark5 pre-orders are pretty low at the moment too.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
With this camera Canon is still displaying their true colors. Switching off DPAF is now a trade mark Canon move.
I truely hope they will regret this to their bones. Its pretty much the most important feature Canon developed in the last decade, maybe the only important one.
I was hoping for IBIS... what I got was a removal of DPAF... leaving me with a 5,4k raw video feature which is somehow impressive - but than again cumbersome to use. It could have been the one-for-all killer camera..

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
I'd agree, but wait till the next Olympics (Paris 2024). This is the last niche where Canon still has as a strong hold, and it is shrinking.

When there were no real alternatives, the pro world had to put up with arrogant, monopolistic Canon who would do things like add an extra heat sink to a 1Dx, switch on better video capture in firmware, and charge US$15k for it. This is Canon's colors. Hold back their best tech and find ways to extort the market with it.

But now Sony has said with their wallet that they want the market Canon has been abusing. It takes time, but the tide is turning.

Yea I expect mirrorless AF (and EVF) will be good enough by 2024 that lot of people have gone mirrorless by then. For now they still can't compete with 1DX (and D5/D6) series DSLR bodies on items that really matter for pro sports photographers.

Upvote 0
Nothing changed compared to the mark II. First specs are 100% equal. 20mp / 16fps / WTF??

That's a bizarre reading of the specs. For one, the 1DXii only does 14fps with AE/AF, not 16 like the 1DXiii specs (or 20 in liveview). Second, even if the resolution hasn't increased the it's almost certainly an entirely new sensor. This is also ignoring that the camera appears to have a completely new AF system. Saying it has nothing over the 1DXii is just silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
You obviously haven't shot 4K60 with the 1DX2. Useless.:rolleyes:

Jack

The 1DXii has useable AF in 4K60. I'm not sure why you think I said it's useless on the 1DXii. The whole point is that, as stated by the rumor, it's mostly a downgrade from the 1DXii for the market that the camera is aimed toward. How many sports/wildlife/press people do you think would be willing to give up AF for, at most, a stop improvement in noise and DoF control?

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
That's a bizarre reading of the specs. For one, the 1DXii only does 14fps with AE/AF, not 16 like the 1DXiii specs (or 20 in liveview). Second, even if the resolution hasn't increased the it's almost certainly and entirely new sensor. This is also ignoring that the camera appears to have a completely new AF system. Saying it has nothing over the 1DXii is just silly.

You’re right .. I have to admit I am just angry they did not gave us something epic, but just a minor upgrade.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Many more AF points to choose from, great. What about selecting a players eye and track that eye in AI SERVO tru OVF? Haha, this AF system is so 2015. We are in 2020, unfortunately Canon is not..

It will take years for Canon to launch a mirrorless pro body, I might switch to sony too.. :(

Go troll somewhere else. No DSLR has eye tracking with mirror down.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Go troll somewhere else. No DSLR has eye tracking with mirror down.
That's his point. Why didn't Canon find a way to do this (ie using a semi-transparent mirror) instead of just adding more old tech focus points? A) because this wasn't their priority.
Strategy: Launch a beefed up old tech camera (with cripple-ware) today, then launch a new tech camera (probably still with cripple-ware) a year later and ask the pros to all buy again.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Yea I expect mirrorless AF (and EVF) will be good enough by 2024 that lot of people have gone mirrorless by then. For now they still can't compete with 1DX (and D5/D6) series DSLR bodies on items that really matter for pro sports photographers.
Not really the reason. Take battery life as a reason instead, and Canon perhaps doubling the battery life with the 1dx3 compared to the 1dx2, which was already incredible compared to a mirrorless.

Upvote 0